Portal Under the Stars Demonic Horn question (spoilers)

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Portal Under the Stars Demonic Horn question (spoilers)

Post by AQuebman »

So in the book module Portal Under the Stars there is a demonic horn the players can get from the snake guardian. It states if studied with a DC12 spell check the user gets invoke patron as the spell.

My question is does this include the user getting Patron Bond as well and then require the player to roll on that table? That or is it sort of a GM call and avoids the usual rules for invoke patron?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Portal Under the Stars Demonic Horn question (spoilers)

Post by beermotor »

I would probably rule that it provides Patron Bond to a specific (demonic) patron. I think you automatically get Invoke Patron after you Patron Bond (otherwise, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense). I could be wrong though.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I would give them the ability to invoke a specific patron (probably making a designer table) but not grant patron bond in this case. That way, they would not gain the ability to bond others to that patron, or to bond to other patrons. I would also rule that access to the spell is not the same as learning the spell, so it would not use up a spell slot, and would require the caster to keep the horn on his person.

........But you shouldn't worry about what anyone else - even Joseph Goodman! - would do! You should decide what result you think is the coolest, and the most flavourful, and go with that!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I would give them the ability to invoke a specific patron (probably making a designer table) but not grant patron bond in this case. That way, they would not gain the ability to bond others to that patron, or to bond to other patrons. I would also rule that access to the spell is not the same as learning the spell, so it would not use up a spell slot, and would require the caster to keep the horn on his person.
That's probably a better way to do it. Maybe it's a very limited form of invocation, perhaps only really useful for summoning similar demons (which, if the user isn't prepared, could end up being highly entertaining...).
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Thanks Guys. I think the way i'm going to roll is that it exposed him to a randomly rolled patron and gave him access to both patron bond and invoke patron barring a failed Bond roll. The character that took it was going wizard so I think I prefer that flavor, and yes I agree it's totally my call I just like to get new perspectives :mrgreen:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You are very welcome. I find the folks on the DCC forums to be very helpful.....a real shared love of the product helps, I suppose. :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Raven_Crowking wrote:You are very welcome. I find the folks on the DCC forums to be very helpful.....a real shared love of the product helps, I suppose. :D

Agreed you can definitely see the passion people have for the hobby and for this particular game.
lectr0
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Vault of Midnight

Post by lectr0 »

I decided to make up my own. Not entirely finished, but getting close

Patron: Sisssnagagarrasssh
Petty Patron

Sisssnagagarrasssh is only able to aid a supplicant while a Demonic Snake Horn (see below) is held in the wielder’s hands.

Invoke Patron spellcheck results

12-13
Sisssnagagarrasssh answers the petitioner's plea, the caster receives +4 to his next attack while using the snake horn.
14-17
Sisssnagagarrasssh answers the petitioner's plea, the caster receives +4 to his next attack and damage roll while using the snake horn.
18-19
A horned shadow snake leaps into being from the snake horn. It attacks the nearest creature in sight that is not the wielder for 1d4 rounds. If the nearest target falls the snake moves on to the next nearest.
Shadow Snake (Atk +2, dmg 1d4, ignores Armor AC, dissipated if damaged for 10 hp, can only be struck by magic weapons).
20-24
As above. Snake lasts 1d4+1 rounds.
Shadow Snake (Atk +3, dmg 1d4+1 plus poison, ignores Armor AC, dissipated if damaged for 10 hp, can only be struck by magic weapons). Poison is (Fort DC16, 1d6 Str, healed by magic only).
25+
As above. Snake lasts 1d4+2 rounds. The user can direct the snake to attack a specified target. If none given, it attacks the nearest creature as above.
Shadow Snake (Atk +5, dmg 1d4+2 plus poison, ignores Armor AC, dissipated if damaged for 15 hp, can only be struck by magic weapons). Poison is (Fort DC18, 1d6 Str, healed by magic only).

Patron spells
Sisssnagagarrasssh has no patron spells

Patron taint

Demonic Snake Horns
Lesser Demonic Snake Horn
Once per day user can meditate on the horn and -- with a DC 12 Spellcheck -- is able to cast invoke patron. Treat the horn as a +0 magical dagger if used as a weapon.

Greater Demonic Snake Horn
Spellcheck 10 to be able to cast invoke patron with a +2 bonus on the invoke patron spellcheck. Treat the horn as a +1 dagger.

Stats and Details (from the random Demon tables)
Sisssnagagarrasssh
Snake, Mantis, Rhinoceros Demon (Type 1)
Init +0;
Atk Bite +5 melee and Gore +7 melee;
AC 13; HD 3d12; MV 20'; Act ;
SP Curse (See Appendix C) +6; Poison (See Appendix P) +6, Target Save 14
demon traits;
SV Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, AL C.
Traits: Slavering, Barbs
Standard Type 1 Demon Features
Communication: Speech (Infernal,Common)
Abilities: Infravision, darkness (+4 check)
Immunities: Half-damage from non-magical weapons and fire
Projection: Cannot travel planes of own volition
Crit Threat Range: 20

Appearance: Looks like a barbed snake body with the head and arms of a mantis. A huge horn sprouts forth from between his multi-faceted eyes. A sickly green liquid is continuously dripping from his mandibles.

Poison: Sisssnagagarrasssh’s poison causes temporary Intelligence loss. Once the victim falls to 0 of below they launch into a murderous rage attempting to kill anyone nearby.

Delivery: Bite Wound
Fort Save: 14
Damage on Successful Save: 1d3 Int (temporary until healed) + Rage
Damage on Failed Save: 1d6 Int (temporary until healed) + Rage
Recovery: Can only be healed only via magical means
lectr0
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Vault of Midnight

Post by lectr0 »

I started working up a demon patron for the horn. I could post it if there's any interest.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

please do.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”