The People of the Pit party size question

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

The People of the Pit party size question

Post by AQuebman »

So I ran my party through the portal under the stars adventure in the book amd we ended up with 6 survivors. I gave them the option of going north to the canyons(People of the pit) or south(kings) and they chose north.

My question is im a bit concerned moving forward now that I have found Pit requires 8-10 1st level characters. Would those who have run it suggest having the players higher a few firsties or maybe give the players another character to even things out? That or is it doable with 6?

Any help is appreciated.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The People of the Pit party size question

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Fill out the party with more 0-level "hirelings", and it should work just fine. Assume that each player gets to have the same total number of PCs, and assume each 0-level character is equal to 1/2 or 1/3rd of a 1st level PC.

The rule of thumb I have been using is:

* If the highest level PC is 1st level, 0-level characters can be added until each player has 4 characters.
* If the highest level PC is 2nd level, 0-level characters can be added until each player has 3 characters.
* If the highest level PC is 3rd level, 0-level characters can be added until each player has 2 characters.
* If the highest level PC is 4th level or higher, you are using a single character.

This allows players to build a "stable" of levelled PCs to replace the fallen, without making the modules perceptibly less difficult, and without making the party to large to run to good effect. I do not allow new 0-level PCs to be recruited until the players are in an appropriate area, either. For instance, when running Doom of the Savage Kings, I allowed no 0-levels to be added until the Hound was defeated....in part because I didn't want the party starting with "local knowledge".

I have been doing this and it works great. I have noticed that the 0-level characters sometimes get used as "red shirts" to protect the more important members of the "landing party", but this adds to the fun IMHO and IME.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Thank you for the tip. My group is only 2 people who have 3 characters a piece so I think i'll try 2-4 0th level hirelings and see how it goes.

I'm curious how things will work out following the rules to a T with some very sub-par statistically challenged characters lol.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

AQuebman wrote:Thank you for the tip. My group is only 2 people who have 3 characters a piece so I think i'll try 2-4 0th level hirelings and see how it goes.

I'm curious how things will work out following the rules to a T with some very sub-par statistically challenged characters lol.
It should work out fine, depending upon how canny your players are. DCC modules are not forgiving of rash actions, but players who keep a sharp eye and a sharp mind can often do better than one might otherwise expect. IME, at least.

But, let us know how it goes for you! I love reading how these modules go for other judges and groups, and I sometimes steal ideas for when I am running them myself...... :D

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

They'll do better than you expect. Stats don't count for nearly as much, which is good.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

beermotor wrote:They'll do better than you expect. Stats don't count for nearly as much, which is good.

That's good to hear i'm so used to old editions that I was fearful of how things would go with some of the awful stats the party has rolled. That or my buddy who had an awesome wizard set and then rolled a dwarf occupation lol.

I'll definitely update as it seems there's minimal People of the Pit coverage on these boards.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Hi, anybody got any good suggestions as to how to tone down the modules rather than upping the zeroes? My players aren't overly fond of having more than two characters at a time and I only have three players tops.

I guess reducing numbers when faced with groups of enemies?
What about the big bad things and traps etc?
Any ideas? Anybody dealt with this issue?

Thanks.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

RevTurkey wrote:Hi, anybody got any good suggestions as to how to tone down the modules rather than upping the zeroes? My players aren't overly fond of having more than two characters at a time and I only have three players tops.

I guess reducing numbers when faced with groups of enemies?
What about the big bad things and traps etc?
Any ideas? Anybody dealt with this issue?

Thanks.
Try lowering the numbers by about 2. I.e., all saves, all monster attack roll bonuses, all monster ACs, etc. You may want to scale hit points and damage die down as well.

Or, simply use a module of 1-2 levels lower.
SoBH pbp:

Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Banesfinger »

Question: will People of the Pit work with a 'funnel' of 0-level characters? (i.e. 4 for each player, so about 32-40 PCs). Or does this adventure specifically need the abilities of 1st-level PCs (e.g. healing, thief skills, magic, etc)?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Banesfinger wrote:Question: will People of the Pit work with a 'funnel' of 0-level characters? (i.e. 4 for each player, so about 32-40 PCs). Or does this adventure specifically need the abilities of 1st-level PCs (e.g. healing, thief skills, magic, etc)?
Will it work? Possibly, but it will be a lot more brutal than a standard funnel, and you will absolutely have to allow them to level as soon as they hit 10 xp, which for 0-level characters should happen almost immediately! I haven't run this one yet, but I have read it through, and it is a tough one IMHO.
SoBH pbp:

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Banesfinger wrote:Question: will People of the Pit work with a 'funnel' of 0-level characters? (i.e. 4 for each player, so about 32-40 PCs). Or does this adventure specifically need the abilities of 1st-level PCs (e.g. healing, thief skills, magic, etc)?
Will it work? Possibly, but it will be a lot more brutal than a standard funnel, and you will absolutely have to allow them to level as soon as they hit 10 xp, which for 0-level characters should happen almost immediately! I haven't run this one yet, but I have read it through, and it is a tough one IMHO.
Agreed People of the Pit is brutal and numbers aren't going to make it much better with all of the narrow steps and traps. I'd let them level as soon as they hit 10exp and wouldn't be surprised to see them get wiped.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Thanks for the advice Raven :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

RevTurkey wrote:Thanks for the advice Raven :D
No worries. Hope you guys enjoy it!
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”