Need help developing a wood elf ability

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Need help developing a wood elf ability

Post by vivsavage »

I have a marked dislike for the elf class in DCC, so I'm creating my own version called (unimaginatively enough) the wood elf. It's entirely based off Legolas and Robin Hood. No magic, just ridiculous coolness with a bow. I want to create a 'trick shot' ability whereby the elf performs amazing things with his arrows; splitting another arrow (al la Robin Hood), shooting an arrow attached to a rope across a river for people to cross across, shooting an arrow through a small loop, etc. The problem is, I need it to work at least as efficiently as the Mighty Deeds of Arms, and probably better (since it is so narrowly focused, whereas the Mighty Deeds are very broad). Ideas?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, I'm not a proponent of 'sharing out' the Deed Die -- but what about some kind of reduced Deed Die and adding CL to that result if the Deed in question involves bow usage?

That's the best I've got off the top of my head. Maybe something will appear there later...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Colin

Post by Colin »

I'm generally not in favour of giving MDoA to other classes either; however, given that the Dwarf has them, I wouldn't strenuously object if a single elf class used a highly restricted version of them in my games.

So, for ease of creation, give them a restricted armour and weapon listing:
Armour no heavier than chainmail, no shields (too large/unwieldy).
Weapons restricted to those typical to rangers/elves, e.g. hand axe, spear, staff, dagger, club, long sword, short sword, long bow, short bow.
Then, restrict their crits like the Dwarf and ensure that they still suffer the elven vulnerability to iron.

Now, to offset the restricted weapon and armour use, lack of shields, reduced crits, and iron vulnerability, give them "Mighty Feats of Archery" a bow-specific form of MDoA, add in the most typical elf abilities (infravision, immunities, and heightened senses), give them a tracking ability, and finish off with a few Thief-based abilities usable in the wilderness (sneak silently, climb sheer surfaces, hide in shadows).

Job done.

Colin
vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vivsavage »

Colin wrote:I'm generally not in favour of giving MDoA to other classes either; however, given that the Dwarf has them, I wouldn't strenuously object if a single elf class used a highly restricted version of them in my games.

So, for ease of creation, give them a restricted armour and weapon listing:
Armour no heavier than chainmail, no shields (too large/unwieldy).
Weapons restricted to those typical to rangers/elves, e.g. hand axe, spear, staff, dagger, club, long sword, short sword, long bow, short bow.
Then, restrict their crits like the Dwarf and ensure that they still suffer the elven vulnerability to iron.

Now, to offset the restricted weapon and armour use, lack of shields, reduced crits, and iron vulnerability, give them "Mighty Feats of Archery" a bow-specific form of MDoA, add in the most typical elf abilities (infravision, immunities, and heightened senses), give them a tracking ability, and finish off with a few Thief-based abilities usable in the wilderness (sneak silently, climb sheer surfaces, hide in shadows).

Job done.

Colin
Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.
Colin

Post by Colin »

vivsavage wrote:Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.
That's something I'd be very wary about, personally. A Warrior already rocks the casbah combat-wise, so cranking that level of prowess up another notch could be too much, especially if you want to add in any elf/ranger abilities too.

Colin
vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vivsavage »

Colin wrote:
vivsavage wrote:Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.
That's something I'd be very wary about, personally. A Warrior already rocks the casbah combat-wise, so cranking that level of prowess up another notch could be too much, especially if you want to add in any elf/ranger abilities too.

Colin
To hell with being conservative, I say! ;)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin
vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vivsavage »

Colin wrote:Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin
Actually, I think I've come up with a solution; when using a bow the wood elf's attack value is 1 'level' higher than the warrior's base attack score. So d3 becomes d4, and so on. Not sure about the deed die. But the elf's score with other weapons is markedly inferior to the warrior's.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

vivsavage wrote:
Colin wrote:Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin
Actually, I think I've come up with a solution; when using a bow the wood elf's attack value is 1 'level' higher than the warrior's base attack score. So d3 becomes d4, and so on. Not sure about the deed die. But the elf's score with other weapons is markedly inferior to the warrior's.
I would simplify it even more and say that a wood elf with a bow gets a flat bonus (ala weapon specialization) and never hits allies when firing into melee. That seems pretty powerful to me since firing into melee ceased when I introduced these rules...:)

Either way, you can also mitigate any abuse that you might see with special bow skills by having enemies close with the party, have enemies target the archer consistently (that's just good strategy), etc. I've always looked at character options/powers as opportunities to show that enemies learn from their losses with the party, and work to minimize their exposure to that option/power.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Characters”