Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 36
I have a marked dislike for the elf class in DCC, so I'm creating my own version called (unimaginatively enough) the wood elf. It's entirely based off Legolas and Robin Hood. No magic, just ridiculous coolness with a bow. I want to create a 'trick shot' ability whereby the elf performs amazing things with his arrows; splitting another arrow (al la Robin Hood), shooting an arrow attached to a rope across a river for people to cross across, shooting an arrow through a small loop, etc. The problem is, I need it to work at least as efficiently as the Mighty Deeds of Arms, and probably better (since it is so narrowly focused, whereas the Mighty Deeds are very broad). Ideas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm
Posts: 2336
Location: Left Coast, USA
Well, I'm not a proponent of 'sharing out' the Deed Die -- but what about some kind of reduced Deed Die and adding CL to that result if the Deed in question involves bow usage?

That's the best I've got off the top of my head. Maybe something will appear there later...

_________________
Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
I'm generally not in favour of giving MDoA to other classes either; however, given that the Dwarf has them, I wouldn't strenuously object if a single elf class used a highly restricted version of them in my games.

So, for ease of creation, give them a restricted armour and weapon listing:
Armour no heavier than chainmail, no shields (too large/unwieldy).
Weapons restricted to those typical to rangers/elves, e.g. hand axe, spear, staff, dagger, club, long sword, short sword, long bow, short bow.
Then, restrict their crits like the Dwarf and ensure that they still suffer the elven vulnerability to iron.

Now, to offset the restricted weapon and armour use, lack of shields, reduced crits, and iron vulnerability, give them "Mighty Feats of Archery" a bow-specific form of MDoA, add in the most typical elf abilities (infravision, immunities, and heightened senses), give them a tracking ability, and finish off with a few Thief-based abilities usable in the wilderness (sneak silently, climb sheer surfaces, hide in shadows).

Job done.

Colin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 36
Colin wrote:
I'm generally not in favour of giving MDoA to other classes either; however, given that the Dwarf has them, I wouldn't strenuously object if a single elf class used a highly restricted version of them in my games.

So, for ease of creation, give them a restricted armour and weapon listing:
Armour no heavier than chainmail, no shields (too large/unwieldy).
Weapons restricted to those typical to rangers/elves, e.g. hand axe, spear, staff, dagger, club, long sword, short sword, long bow, short bow.
Then, restrict their crits like the Dwarf and ensure that they still suffer the elven vulnerability to iron.

Now, to offset the restricted weapon and armour use, lack of shields, reduced crits, and iron vulnerability, give them "Mighty Feats of Archery" a bow-specific form of MDoA, add in the most typical elf abilities (infravision, immunities, and heightened senses), give them a tracking ability, and finish off with a few Thief-based abilities usable in the wilderness (sneak silently, climb sheer surfaces, hide in shadows).

Job done.

Colin

Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
vivsavage wrote:
Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.


That's something I'd be very wary about, personally. A Warrior already rocks the casbah combat-wise, so cranking that level of prowess up another notch could be too much, especially if you want to add in any elf/ranger abilities too.

Colin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 36
Colin wrote:
vivsavage wrote:
Colin, I generally like this line of thinking. My only issue is that I want the wood elf's ability with the bow to be better than what a warrior could achieve with a bow using MDoA.


That's something I'd be very wary about, personally. A Warrior already rocks the casbah combat-wise, so cranking that level of prowess up another notch could be too much, especially if you want to add in any elf/ranger abilities too.

Colin

To hell with being conservative, I say! ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 36
Colin wrote:
Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin

Actually, I think I've come up with a solution; when using a bow the wood elf's attack value is 1 'level' higher than the warrior's base attack score. So d3 becomes d4, and so on. Not sure about the deed die. But the elf's score with other weapons is markedly inferior to the warrior's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need help developing a wood elf ability
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:19 pm
Posts: 528
vivsavage wrote:
Colin wrote:
Hey, it's your game, so if you wanna crank it up, more power to you. :)

Colin

Actually, I think I've come up with a solution; when using a bow the wood elf's attack value is 1 'level' higher than the warrior's base attack score. So d3 becomes d4, and so on. Not sure about the deed die. But the elf's score with other weapons is markedly inferior to the warrior's.


I would simplify it even more and say that a wood elf with a bow gets a flat bonus (ala weapon specialization) and never hits allies when firing into melee. That seems pretty powerful to me since firing into melee ceased when I introduced these rules...:)

Either way, you can also mitigate any abuse that you might see with special bow skills by having enemies close with the party, have enemies target the archer consistently (that's just good strategy), etc. I've always looked at character options/powers as opportunities to show that enemies learn from their losses with the party, and work to minimize their exposure to that option/power.

_________________
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Our new publishing website. Have a submission? PM me.
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aesdana and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group