Magic items... your thoughts?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Eryops
Ill-Fated Peasant

Magic items... your thoughts?

Post by Eryops »

Our group is rotating GMs with the DCC RPG and using modules from various games that we've wanted to try out. It's my turn to GM, and I'm running a d20 module created with a party of 1st level characters in mind (our group is a mix of 0 & 1 level).

The module gives gold and magic items out like candy, and while I'm planning on reigning in the gold a bit (easy enough to change to silver), but is it necessary to worry about the +1 items waiting to be found? Is it simply personal preference as a group and GM?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Magic items... your thoughts?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Remove all of the magic items.

Then go back and include whatever items you think should be there. Preferably, magic items that are unpredictable and make sense within the context of the module. Remember that a lot of items can be mundane and give specific bonuses without being magical.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Remove all of the magic items.

Then go back and include whatever items you think should be there. Preferably, magic items that are unpredictable and make sense within the context of the module. Remember that a lot of items can be mundane and give specific bonuses without being magical.

Raven is dead-on here. I also let a couple of +1 items actually have 1 point of Luck the player could use.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Awesome idea about lucky items. Maybe give them one "natural 20" critical instead? I HATE +1s... these ideas are way more interesting IMO. Good job sir!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

+1 on what's been said before.

What I've done is remove all treasure, and then sprinkle back in "interesting" stuff. So, a potion of healing may become a salve that allows the character to heal 2 points per day of rest instead of 1, or their Stamina bonus...or something. Not actually magical, but a slight rule breaker. A +1 sword becomes a finely crafted longsword that does 1d8+1 damage, but must be constantly maintained, or the damage drops to 1d7 or whatever. I think there are a lot of ways to pepper the dungeon with interesting things and not fall down the "every character must have X+1 magical items per level." The funny thing is, the player's value these little "neatos" just as much as magical treasures.

I've also done some stuff with treasure to make it more interesting than finding 1d6+1 gp. I'll throw in ancient gold coins that are alloyed with base metals (similar to the late Roman Empire) -- so to a moneychanger they're worth about a silver piece each, but to a collector, they could be worth more than a gold piece each. And maybe they hold some latent power due to a symbol representing the ancient culture's patron, etc... leads to a ruined mint where a shrine to the patron was used to give the coins some unholy power....blah blah.

I try to hook in whatever I can... though obviously you can overdo it like magic.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I've also played with damage dice as a way to make some things better than others. E.g., mithril daggers that are 1d5, or Molan's flail is 2d3+1 (plus flaming damage 1/day). Maybe instead of a d8+1 longsword, try a 2d4 longsword... or a 3d3 longsword! Better on average.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Definitely -- you can always make a weapon unique without making it magical.

Also, for other magic items, you can provide a "mundane" power. For instance, a ring of protection might become a signet ring for a local aristocrat. Locals may be more deferential to the wearer, and in fact, even bandits in the area may refuse to attack the wearer and/or the party due to an agreement with the aristocrat (protection racket or something even stranger -- the aristocrat is rumored to be in congress with a demon..etc). However, once the aristocrat finds out someone is wearing his ring and pretending to act under his protection...well...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG General”