Spell duels. They are complicated. Any simpler home-brew

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Spell duels. They are complicated. Any simpler home-brew

Post by cthulhudarren »

rules out there I should try? Every time they occur I guarantee that I will have to stop the game and read the rules to figure this out. And again every time.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Spell duels. They are complicated. Any simpler home-bre

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I put the relevant charts together on my GM screen, and then dropped the momentum tracker part of the rules - at least in practice because I always forget it and have yet to have a "spell duel" last more than one round.

That simplified things enough for me to remember, perhaps it will for you as well.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I need to try a spell duel at least once but it looks like a pain on paper. When I first read the rules all I could think about was the game coming to a stop while the wizards duke it out. Is it as bad as it seems or does it flow better in practice?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

The way that I read it, everyone else doesn't stop while the wizards are dueling. Non-spellcasters just move to the bottom of the initiative order. Any mages later in the initiative order have the opportunity to declare a counterspell, there is another chart to consult, and you need to track momentum.

I'll have to play it out to make my final judgement, but it seemed pretty straight-forward on paper. If it ends up bogging down combat, I'll just drop everything except the opportunity to declare a counterspell, but I kinda like the idea of momentum.

Return to “Rules discussion”