Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sailors on the Starless Seas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 am 

I have two players, each has I think four level 1 characters. They are all that remain from Portal.
A couple clerics, elf, couple halflings, dwarf and warrior.
I would prefer 1 player to 1 character, but I am unsure if that is the best way to go.
I don't intend to scale down, but should I scale up any of the encounters?
Are there any gotchas I should be aware of before they embark?
Any suggestions from those who have run it?

I have the clerics and elf rolling randomly for what spells they can attempt to learn. Based on their "loot" from Portal they can buy their goods.
After reading through the boards my set up is that they left their village after Portal to go to a little bit larger village due to availability of goods.

I do have a question about identify. I see there is a magic ring in this mod. If they find it, they cannot use it immediately right? Well, they can but they will not know the results or how to activate its magic, correct? I do not see an actual spell for identify, so I am unsure aside from sending them on a quest how they will find out the properties of the ring....

Post subject: Re: Sailors on the Starless Seas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

The module is perfectly capable of killing 8 1st levels. I'd let them play all the characters. Finding that ring isn't easy, but the elf could probably figure out how rouse it through spellcheck to activate it.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 am 

So identification of objects can happen with a successful spell check?

Last night they pretty much made mince meat of the beastmen. But I expect once they get below ground life will become a lot harder for them!
Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:51 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

That particular item seems to me to be one that you put on and just sort of know how to use. If you're a wizard or elf, anyway. Maybe other classes would have to attempt a spellcheck before they'd feel the power of the ring. In any case, I think a lot of people do not find the ring, so it might not even be an issue (wasn't for my players).

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.