Basic Rules PDF?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zaph
Ill-Fated Peasant

Basic Rules PDF?

Post by Zaph »

I know there was a beta set of the rules released previously, and I was wondering if it was still available, or if there was an updated basic rules pdf. I have the rulebook, and I'd like to get some friends together online to play some modules. We live all over the place, so unfortunately they can't just use my copy to generate their characters.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Basic Rules PDF?

Post by GnomeBoy »

There's a pdf of the rules out there on the web -- but there isn't a DCC-lite version, if that's what you're looking for...

Still, character creation is fairly simple, if done by the book.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Or have them use Jon's great character generator:

http://purplesorcerer.com/create.htm
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

The original beta version is probably floating around on the hard drive of various computers, but is no longer an official download you can get through regular channels. As was mentioned by Gnomeboy, it's not really a "rules lite" version but it doesn't have all of the features of the final version, either. What it is missing is mostly higher-level material, as it was designed for levels 1-5 only.

Occasionally the topic of having a thinned-down version of DCC comes up, but Goodman Games has never to my knowledge acknowledged this as even on the radar. It's been simply a fan suggestion.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

My interest in the BETA is that rumor has it the spells are all listed as single one pagers. I like this idea for spell book building.
Zaph
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zaph »

Thanks everyone. I guess I am looking for a rules light version, though more to convey tone and atmosphere. With experienced players, I think it's harder to convey why you're creating a bunch of zero level characters than to say why you're rolling a d7.
Colin

Post by Colin »

"Hey players. We're creating 0-level characters because it's fun, it drives home the huge difference between ordinary plebs and leveled members of character classes, it gets across the fact that heroes rise from truly humble beginnings, it generates interesting characters organically through play, and because it highlights how dangerous and terrifying monsters and their ilk are to normal folks. 0-level play ain't D&D-style heroics, it's Call of Cthulhu-esque survival horror that acts as the crucible for the heroes your surviving characters will become."

If the Players can't wrap their heads around the above, kill 'em and take their stuff. ;)

Colin
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

Dibs on the wheel of Cheese!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Colin wrote:If the Players can't wrap their heads around the above, kill 'em and take their stuff. ;)
Colin, you are the "caller of the show!" :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Ha ha...nice one Colin :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Colin wrote:If the Players can't wrap their heads around the above, kill 'em and take their stuff. ;)
Awesome. Simply awesome. (this forum really needs a "thumbs-up" emote/smiley)
Terry Olson

Return to “Judges' Forum”