Restore Vitality

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Captain Punka
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Restore Vitality

Post by Captain Punka »

The wording of Restore Vitality seems imprecise and confuses me. It says you can restore ability score *drain*. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but the word "drain" somehow seems different to me than all of the rule references that applies a permanent *penalty* or a permanent "loss" to an ability score.

So, it begs the question, can I use the spell Restore Vitality to increase a character's ability scores that have been "penalized" or "lost" from any of the following?:

Bleeding Out (permanent loss)
Recovering the Body (permanent penalty)
Crit Table I: 20+ (permanent loss)
Various Corruption Results (e.g. Major/Consumption) (permanent? penalty)

So, in short, are these types of permanent penalties and losses considered "drain" for purposes of being healed by the Restore Vitality spell? And if they are not considered "drain", then what the heck is Restore Vitality good for (i.e. how can one have ability scores drained)?

~Captain Punka
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Restore Vitality

Post by cthulhudarren »

If it says "permanent", I would not let this spell fix it.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

cthulhudarren wrote:If it says "permanent", I would not let this spell fix it.
I would not be quite so strict, as the only types of ability score reduction that do not call themselves "permanent" are spellburn and halfling or thief Luck burning.

My opinion on the spell is that it the results from 14 to 19 on the chart can restore scores decreased in any way that specifically mentions when the score will return naturally (spellburn that comes back at 1 point per day, a creature attack that reduces strength for 1 week, etc.) - keeping the exception that Restore Vitality can never act upon Luck.

Results of 20+ on the chart can restore any score, other than Luck, lowered by any reason but can only bring scores up to a maximum of their initial rolled values.

And I got all that information from reading the chart results of the spell, which lays out pretty well exactly what the spell does.
Captain Punka
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Captain Punka »

Thanks but you are getting of topic of my question. The spell clearly cures "permanent" conditions with a check of 20+ (written in the spell description).

My question is that the spell says it only restores "drain". It does not say it restores "penalty" or "loss". My question is do you think I am being too focused on the keyword "drain" and it does work also for restoring ability "penalties" and "losses"?
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I would have to say yes, Captain, you are too focused on the keyword.

DCC is a game written by guys assuming that the Judge is the final interpreter, and as such doesn't have a glossary of game terms with specific unalterable meanings - so unless a word is capitalized in usage (such as Strength, Luck, or Mighty Deed of Arms) then it is simply the word that it is and is allowed to by a synonym (such as drain, loss, penalty).

My only backup on this, however, is that I see no effects that list ability drain for the spell to match up with keyword-wise - monsters cause loss, penalties, and the like just like criticals and bleeding out/recovering the body do.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I agree with TheNobleDrake on this one. I wouldn't get too hung up on the word drain. I would certainly let it heal "loss" and "penalty" as well.
Captain Punka
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Captain Punka »

Thanks guys! :-)

Return to “Magic and Spells”