New to DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zog
Ill-Fated Peasant

New to DCC

Post by Zog »

Howdy all.

Just wanted to post and say I am a new fan of the DCC-RPG.

This book is the most fun I have had reading a RPG in years.

My gaming group gets together infrequently, old buddies for college, all in our 40's. Been playing rpg's for years, but lately the last few years we have struggled with wanting that 'campaign' feel with just playing a good old fashioned fun game.

So for years we have cycled through different systems:
Warhammer, Runequest, Mythus, DND 3.5, Burning wheel, AD&D 2nd etc..

The best memories always came back to college and those crazy dungeons with even crazier traps and tricks, wild heroics and one off adventures.

Reading the DCC book brought all that crashing to the forefront. We are not looking for long campaigns, we are looking for good adventures, easy for the DM to run with little to prepare, easy for the players whose memories don't remember all those rules like they use to. We wanted a system that promotes fun and speed but leaves some of the crunch out.

I think DCC has delivered that in spades. While our first game using the system is a couple weeks away, this is the first time in a long time I have stoked about what will be. I feel all giddy.

Thanks to Goodman Games for this system. I look forward to squishing some level 0's and watching my players get a few people to level 1 and beyond! Let the good times roll.

-Z.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: New to DCC

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Welcome aboard, Zog! Nice name, it sounds like some sword & planet antagonist. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Welcome! I know our group has been having a great time with this game.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Zog wrote:This book is the most fun I have had reading a RPG in years.
Agreed. Even if you don't play it, it's a great book to read and drool over the artwork. Classy!
Zog wrote:My gaming group gets together infrequently, old buddies for college, all in our 40's. Been playing rpg's for years, but lately the last few years we have struggled with wanting that 'campaign' feel with just playing a good old fashioned fun game.

So for years we have cycled through different systems:
Warhammer, Runequest, Mythus, DND 3.5, Burning wheel, AD&D 2nd etc..

The best memories always came back to college and those crazy dungeons with even crazier traps and tricks, wild heroics and one off adventures.

Reading the DCC book brought all that crashing to the forefront.
Sounds like what happened with one of my gaming groups. We don't get together often, but when we do we would like to re-live the spirit of wide-open low-rules fun role playing from college. DCC has that feel to us as well. (My other main group is a lot younger, so they don't need to try to "relive" anything. :lol: )
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

finarvyn wrote:Agreed. Even if you don't play it, it's a great book to read and drool over the artwork. Classy!
Shoot the artwork is what made the decision for me. I heard so many good things about the artwork (and the game, but I wasn't sure I was in the market for a new system then) that I figured for the price of the hardcover I could get the artwork and at least read over the rules to have a passing familiarity with it. And here I am today running a weekly DCC RPG game online and having a great time!
Zog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zog »

Yeah the artwork is just classic. That sucked me in, the game play reminding me of our 'glory' days kept me reading while the fires of my imagination reignited after many years of slowly glowing.

While we have not played with our group, I have introduce my kids to the game which they thought was awesome. Mom played which was a first for her and of course she lost the first character. "What do you mean the spear impales me!, IM MOM!" lol. I had all I could do to keep it clean at that point, ya know kids around.

Well look forward to reading more posts from everyone and here's to hoping DCC does well along and the modules keep flowing. Think I have purchased everything made for DCC so far as this point. heh. Being a young gamer is fun, but being a older game with a disposable income is better :-) No more begging mom or mowing more lawns to buy the latest release! Of course being able to stay up late as I once could in my youth had it's advantages.

-Z.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Zog wrote:Of course being able to stay up late as I once could in my youth had it's advantages.
That's something a little Red Bull, Mountain Dew, and chocolate doughnuts can solve. :wink:
Terry Olson
Jason
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jason »

finarvyn wrote:
Zog wrote:This book is the most fun I have had reading a RPG in years.
Agreed. Even if you don't play it, it's a great book to read and drool over the artwork. Classy!
Old friend, I call blasphemy on this. This game MUST be played.

How did you ever become an admin with this attitude? :!: :lol:
nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

i really don't know if i will ever go back to D&D. If quality third party supplements keep coming out for this game, it will excel in every way from D&D. i'd love to see a carefully thought out spell book with tons of new spells, i find that those are tricky to create myself. And it would be very, very interesting down the road if someone came up with good multi-classing rules.

Return to “DCC RPG General”