Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spellburn and Patron Bond
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Back when bholmes4 had asked what was to stop someone from using massive spellburn to get a good result on the patron bond spell. Well, that thread (http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 67&t=15311) is in a locked forum now, but I recently had the answer turn up in play (http://unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=757).

One player, having an elf PC and 4 weeks downtime, decided to reduce Strength, Agility, and Stamina to 3 by spellburn, and then use the remaining time to heal, thus allowing the best possible spell check for patron bond. Unfortunately, the die roll for spellburn was 13 - the caster "develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him." So, I have ruled that the spellburn will not even start to heal until the PC completes a specific transaction for the newly acquired patron.

Even if the chances of true disaster are small, spellburn is not a sure thing. There are reasons to use it; there is no certainty in the outcome. While I am sure that the player will appreciate the long-term benefits if he survives the short-term drawback, it becomes clear that one is gambling each and every time one attempts something so drastic.

Kudos, Mr. Goodman, for making magic feel dangerous and unpredictable!

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Post subject: Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Yeah. Also, there was no guarantee of a 32+ result... I had to roll >= 9, and I rolled a 10. Yeah, it was a good risk. And, long term, it's worth it. But man... being completely gimped suuuuuuucks. :-)

I concur wholeheartedly on the magic system though, very well done.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:57 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

beermotor wrote:
Yeah. Also, there was no guarantee of a 32+ result... I had to roll >= 9, and I rolled a 10. Yeah, it was a good risk. And, long term, it's worth it. But man... being completely gimped suuuuuuucks. :-)

I concur wholeheartedly on the magic system though, very well done.

Any system that encourages Faustian bargains like this is A-Okay with me! :twisted:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Unfortunately, the die roll for spellburn was 13 - the caster "develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him." So, I have ruled that the spellburn will not even start to heal until the PC completes a specific transaction for the newly acquired patron.

Awesomeness!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:49 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

My favorite spellburn related incident revolves around a player burning 20 points of physical scores and electing to roll with +20 on top of his normal bonus rather than simply treat the roll as a natural 20 as allowed by the rules... and he rolled a 1.

Players are their own worst enemy most of the time - he could have just taken a result of 25 with no chance of mishap, but he wanted that 32+ result so bad that he talked himself out of it and wound up with his spell failing and a brand new crab claw to keep him company.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

They could have burned a point of luck to avoid the corruption, correct?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Why would you EVER burn luck to stop CRAB CLAW?!?!?!?!

COOLEST THING EVAAAAARRRRRR

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

beermotor wrote:

Only as long as it didn't interfere with spellcasting. But yeah, it sounds pretty kewl. I'd give the character a claw attack.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:

Only as long as it didn't interfere with spellcasting. But yeah, it sounds pretty kewl. I'd give the character a claw attack.

Disagree... crab claw is cool no matter what.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:56 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

beermotor wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:

Disagree... crab claw is cool no matter what.

Yes, the player could have burned Luck to avoid the crab claw... he decided that having a crab claw was too cool to pass up, especially because it came with a claw attack.

It doesn't directly hinder his ability to cast spells, yet, since its only restriction is inability to hold and use things normally with that "hand."