Spellburn and Patron Bond

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by Raven_Crowking » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 am

Back when bholmes4 had asked what was to stop someone from using massive spellburn to get a good result on the patron bond spell. Well, that thread (http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 67&t=15311) is in a locked forum now, but I recently had the answer turn up in play (http://unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=757).

One player, having an elf PC and 4 weeks downtime, decided to reduce Strength, Agility, and Stamina to 3 by spellburn, and then use the remaining time to heal, thus allowing the best possible spell check for patron bond. Unfortunately, the die roll for spellburn was 13 - the caster "develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him." So, I have ruled that the spellburn will not even start to heal until the PC completes a specific transaction for the newly acquired patron.

Even if the chances of true disaster are small, spellburn is not a sure thing. There are reasons to use it; there is no certainty in the outcome. While I am sure that the player will appreciate the long-term benefits if he survives the short-term drawback, it becomes clear that one is gambling each and every time one attempts something so drastic.

Kudos, Mr. Goodman, for making magic feel dangerous and unpredictable!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

User avatar
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by beermotor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am

Yeah. Also, there was no guarantee of a 32+ result... I had to roll >= 9, and I rolled a 10. Yeah, it was a good risk. And, long term, it's worth it. But man... being completely gimped suuuuuuucks. :-)

I concur wholeheartedly on the magic system though, very well done.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by Raven_Crowking » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 am

beermotor wrote:Yeah. Also, there was no guarantee of a 32+ result... I had to roll >= 9, and I rolled a 10. Yeah, it was a good risk. And, long term, it's worth it. But man... being completely gimped suuuuuuucks. :-)

I concur wholeheartedly on the magic system though, very well done.

Any system that encourages Faustian bargains like this is A-Okay with me! :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by cthulhudarren » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 am

Raven_Crowking wrote:Unfortunately, the die roll for spellburn was 13 - the caster "develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him." So, I have ruled that the spellburn will not even start to heal until the PC completes a specific transaction for the newly acquired patron.
Awesomeness!

TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 am

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by TheNobleDrake » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:49 pm

My favorite spellburn related incident revolves around a player burning 20 points of physical scores and electing to roll with +20 on top of his normal bonus rather than simply treat the roll as a natural 20 as allowed by the rules... and he rolled a 1.

Players are their own worst enemy most of the time - he could have just taken a result of 25 with no chance of mishap, but he wanted that 32+ result so bad that he talked himself out of it and wound up with his spell failing and a brand new crab claw to keep him company.

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by cthulhudarren » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 am

They could have burned a point of luck to avoid the corruption, correct?

User avatar
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by beermotor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:47 am

Why would you EVER burn luck to stop CRAB CLAW?!?!?!?!

COOLEST THING EVAAAAARRRRRR

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by cthulhudarren » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:09 am

beermotor wrote:Why would you EVER burn luck to stop CRAB CLAW?!?!?!?!

COOLEST THING EVAAAAARRRRRR
Only as long as it didn't interfere with spellcasting. But yeah, it sounds pretty kewl. I'd give the character a claw attack.

User avatar
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by beermotor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:Why would you EVER burn luck to stop CRAB CLAW?!?!?!?!

COOLEST THING EVAAAAARRRRRR
Only as long as it didn't interfere with spellcasting. But yeah, it sounds pretty kewl. I'd give the character a claw attack.
Disagree... crab claw is cool no matter what.

TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 am

Re: Spellburn and Patron Bond

Post by TheNobleDrake » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am

beermotor wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:Why would you EVER burn luck to stop CRAB CLAW?!?!?!?!

COOLEST THING EVAAAAARRRRRR
Only as long as it didn't interfere with spellcasting. But yeah, it sounds pretty kewl. I'd give the character a claw attack.
Disagree... crab claw is cool no matter what.
Yes, the player could have burned Luck to avoid the crab claw... he decided that having a crab claw was too cool to pass up, especially because it came with a claw attack.

It doesn't directly hinder his ability to cast spells, yet, since its only restriction is inability to hold and use things normally with that "hand."

Post Reply

Return to “Magic and Spells”