Skill checks involving multiple characters

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zenmaster
Ill-Fated Peasant

Skill checks involving multiple characters

Post by Zenmaster »

Hi,

sorry if this may be common knowledge, but I couldn't find any answers through a forum search, and my last fantasy RPG GMing experience was AD&D, so d20 rules and other rules conventions of the past 20 years have gone straight past me :-).

Without "spoiling" too much, in a DCC RPG 0-level adventure module I'll soon be running, there are several instances of skill checks of DC 20 or higher for opening doors/portals, lifting things etc. (using Strength modifier)
It seems reasonable for 2 or even 3 people (depending on size) to try joining forces to open a reasonably large door or lift an object more than one person can grip. The core rulebook and the module are silent on the topic, though in the module there is an instance where it says that up to 4 characters can succeed in lifting a specific object if their combined strength is above a certain number.

So what does a Judge do in this case? Having 2 characters joining forces to open a DC20 door both rolling d20s and adding them seems excessive... Add a modifier? Roll a d24 or a d30? Or is the intent that it is a DC20 task meant to be tried individually -- characters without negative strength modifiers can line up one by one to get their 5 to 20% chance? There are quite a few of these DC20 (or even higher DCs) strength skill checks which seem like they could have multiple participants, so I'm not sure what the intent of these DC20's is, or what the best course of action for the Judge is. I can't offhand think of any other situation where multiple characters might join forces in a single skill check, but the same question would arise.

Anyone with any useful thoughts, please feel free to chime in :-). I'm running the adventure next weekend, so I hope I can figure out something before then.

Thanks in advance.
-- I am doing my part and voting with my wallet. I've purchased every Goodman Games and 3rd Party Publisher DCC publication to this point. Been worth every penny so far!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Skill checks involving multiple characters

Post by finarvyn »

I don't recall if this is addressed in the rulebook or not. I usually "wing it" for situations such as this. The simple solution would be to add a +2 to the die roll for each character helping the original.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hmm.

If you and I lift an object together, we're each essentially lifting half the weight, more or less (I'm sorry, I was tilting it more towards you to get the lighter load... won't happen again).

But cutting the DC to 10 for two and to 7 for three seems perhaps maybe almost too easy (ymmv). Of course, if everybody has to make a roll vs that DC, it might not be as easy as it sounds...

Reduce the DC by the number of 'extra' folk, and make one d20 roll adding all of their STR modifiers?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

I like the idea of increasing the die step if results are additive - so busting open a door, lifting a portcullis, etc, each additional character would be useful. I'd also include the appropriate ability modifiers as bonuses, if applicable (and almost always Strength in these cases) for each PC acting/helping.

There are other cases, tracking or alchemy, for example, where I wouldn't necessarily do it that way. In this case, its not about raw addition, but skilled addition. In this case, I like having a main character (whoever is doing the primary skill action) make a roll based on their level/abilities, plus getting bonuses from others helping who also successfully make a roll (that roll could be at a lower DC, too) - maybe +1 or +2, based on skill/roll/etc. (This is how Savage Worlds does cooperative rolls, and works pretty well.)

Alternately, another way to do cooperative rolls is to sum up everyone's applicable modifiers (usually just ability modifiers if appropriate), then let everyone roll, but only use the best single die.
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

I think the mechanics of teaming up have to be figured out on a case by case basis. If there's a barred door to be broken down, it's much harder to effectively collaborate than if there's a stuck door to be pushed open. The barred door requires the simultaneous application of sudden force, whereas the stuck door requires simultaneous continuous force, which means that there's no issue of timing the mutual effort just right.

I'd let two characters push on a stuck door (of normal size), adding both their strength modifiers and a +1 for the second character's weight to a single d20. To break down a locked door, I'd allow one character per 5' of door, and require some kind of coordination, like everyone making a DC 12 agility check.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Zenmaster wrote:Anyone with any useful thoughts, please feel free to chime in :-).
I will not go so far as to say my thoughts are useful, but I have no problem chiming in :). Like Bilgewriggler, I think the mechanics have to be situational. With that being said, I almost never allow players to "automatically" help. I have them make a relevant ability to check to successfully help, even if that means adding +2 to the skill check of primary person doing the task. It seems like having them roll to help rather than automatically help is more engaging, and the chance of failure adds tension :twisted:.
Terry Olson
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

If you go by only the modifier than a character could actually hinder you by trying to lift with you. That doesnt really seem like it should work that way. What I did was I set a DC for the feat of strength and then a also annotated what combined STR score would be needed to get an auto success. I looked at from the point of view that the additional helpers reduced the DC down to something more routine. Another alternative would be to scale the total stength. so X str reduces the DC roll to Y etc. and then have the primary character make a skill check with thier modifier for the new roll. Many hands make light the work and all that.
Zenmaster
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zenmaster »

Pesky wrote:If you go by only the modifier than a character could actually hinder you by trying to lift with you. That doesnt really seem like it should work that way. What I did was I set a DC for the feat of strength and then a also annotated what combined STR score would be needed to get an auto success. I looked at from the point of view that the additional helpers reduced the DC down to something more routine. Another alternative would be to scale the total stength. so X str reduces the DC roll to Y etc. and then have the primary character make a skill check with thier modifier for the new roll. Many hands make light the work and all that.
SavageRobby wrote:There are other cases, tracking or alchemy, for example, where I wouldn't necessarily do it that way. In this case, its not about raw addition, but skilled addition. In this case, I like having a main character (whoever is doing the primary skill action) make a roll based on their level/abilities, plus getting bonuses from others helping who also successfully make a roll (that roll could be at a lower DC, too) - maybe +1 or +2, based on skill/roll/etc. (This is how Savage Worlds does cooperative rolls, and works pretty well.)

Alternately, another way to do cooperative rolls is to sum up everyone's applicable modifiers (usually just ability modifiers if appropriate), then let everyone roll, but only use the best single die.
Ok, thanks all for the input so far. Pesky and Savage Robby's ideas above sound really good, and Bilgewriggler is right in that it depends on the exact situation. I also agree having helpers roll to see if they aid somehow is a great idea. I still want to work the dice chain in whenever possible (I have all these cool new dice; I want people to roll them!) so I'll throw all these ideas in the hopper and sleep on it. Will post later whatever I come up with.

Thanks again.
-- I am doing my part and voting with my wallet. I've purchased every Goodman Games and 3rd Party Publisher DCC publication to this point. Been worth every penny so far!
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Hey Zenmaster, the quotation that you attributed to me actually came from Rostranor... :)
Terry Olson
Zenmaster
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zenmaster »

Weird, because when I quoted it with the forum quote tool, it put your name in there. I just saw that and assumed it was your quote. My apologies to Rostranor (maybe Rostranor should figure out why the forum software doesn't like him!?)
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Zenmaster wrote:Weird, because when I quoted it with the forum quote tool, it put your name in there.
It seems that "Pesky" is by no means a misnomer. :lol:
Terry Olson
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

perhpas my commentary has been proscribed and I havent been notified yet.

Dice chain sounds like a good idea too. Maybe each supporting character with a positive str modifier could add +1D, characters with no mod or a negative one may help, but are to feeble really to make a difference. AS an example, no one really gets help from their Nanna to move a couch even if she is trying to move the coushin.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

What about a blended approach?

Those with a positive modifier are automatically 'helpful', and bump the die type used for the roll up the dice chain.

Those with no modifier or a negative modifier can make their own roll vs. the DC to see if they push things up the dice chain or not -- i.e., Nana might help if she's had her Wheaties and happens to be making use of a fulcrum... :mrgreen:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

thats possible. I like to keep things streamlined as much as possible. The players will know if their character can help or not with the skill check. There is also the common sense factor. The fighter with a aid of the halfling was able to dead lift the porculis. The fighter type wanted to hold it up over his head, I ruled that the halfling helped him dead lift it, but he would need another decreased DC roll to keep it at the level he wanted.

Another option to just make it quick and easy is that a solo character makes a roll against the DC. If he has helpers their combined strength needs to equal or exceed the DC and they open or roll again against the DC with a +1D
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I have my players declare whether or not they are in primary or support roles. The one who is primary rolls a d20 normally. Anyone in a support rolls 1d20 and their result determines how much help they provide as follows:

1: -2 to check
5: +1 to check
10 +2 to check
15: +3 to check
20: +4 to check
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Vanguard wrote:I have my players declare whether or not they are in primary or support roles. The one who is primary rolls a d20 normally. Anyone in a support rolls 1d20 and their result determines how much help they provide as follows:

10 +2 to check
Nice...I like that. Do you let them modify the roll via ability mods or must it be au naturel?
Terry Olson
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Pesky wrote:
Vanguard wrote:I have my players declare whether or not they are in primary or support roles. The one who is primary rolls a d20 normally. Anyone in a support rolls 1d20 and their result determines how much help they provide as follows:

10 +2 to check
Nice...I like that. Do you let them modify the roll via ability mods or must it be au naturel?
I let them modify it normally. I mean, getting a +1 or +2 to this roll means far less as these goalposts are set in stone.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

10 +2 to check
Cool system. I would tweak it so that the would-be helper rolls an appropriate die, not necessarily 1d20. Which would mean that, for some skills, untrained "helpers" get in the way more often than not. I.e., where 1d10 is rolled!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Raven_Crowking wrote:

10 +2 to check
Cool system. I would tweak it so that the would-be helper rolls an appropriate die, not necessarily 1d20. Which would mean that, for some skills, untrained "helpers" get in the way more often than not. I.e., where 1d10 is rolled!
I should add I already do this. For simple things like Strength checks though? Everyone can try, despite how strong (or weak!) they are.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Vanguard wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:

10 +2 to check
I should add I already do this. For simple things like Strength checks though? Everyone can try, despite how strong (or weak!) they are.

Yup.

Consider this Yoinked!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Vanguard wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:

10 +2 to check
This seems Crawl!able.

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Hmmm, good idea, but I think I'll save my Crawl submissions for something bigger. I'm pretty involved in this once game I'm running, which is making it hard to get these other projects done, but I have new patrons, classes, and mechanics in the works.

This will, however, go on my blog.
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

This came up back in the days of 2nd Ed. D&D. I just made a house rule that each person helping added their relevant attribute bonus to the roll.

If you aren't strong/smart enough to get a bonus? Why are you helping then? Step back and let the capable people handle this.

It adds the bonus flavor of someone truly incompetent actually hurting your chances by helping out.

Return to “Rules discussion”