Help With Adventure Idea

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Help With Adventure Idea

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Due to conflicting schedules and other distractions my DCC campaign did not start a feew weeks ago but it looks like everything is settling down and all of us are going to get together "soon". I am working on an adventure that takes place after the funnel. Any input would be appreciated.

The location of the adventure is the home of an influential family in the town; maybe they run the trading company, mine, or something similar. The hook that draws the adventurers in is the disappearance of the family. The house is empty but some people have claimed to see "figures" lurking inside through some of the windows.

Basically, think of a swords & sorceery version of the Resident Evil mansion from the first game; maybe not that big and expansive but the basic idea. I can think of the following rooms:

Dining Room
Family Bedrooms
Kitchen
Servant's Quarters
Study / Library?
Stable area ?
a secret room (accessed from library or a bedroom?) for magic study or experiment ?

My problem is that I just keep coming up blank on room ideas. Any ideas?

I am thinking that a family member was experimenting with magic or some other dark and secret stuff and unleashed some terrible power. The family and all of their workers are now missing. It is up to the PCs to find out what happened to the family and contain the trouble they have unleashed.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I have not done any judging in 20 years so I am a bit rusty. :)
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
Colin

Re: Help With Adventure Idea

Post by Colin »

Infested Wine Cellar
Torture Chamber with strangely fresh stains
Haunted Children's Bedroom and Nursery
Oddly Alien Garden (inc. Well from which noises emanate)
The Attic from which something watches
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If the house is big enough, it should have some hidden passages/bolt holes.

A classic trope along those lines is the length of the hall and the width of the rooms off of it don't add up...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Colín & GnomeBoy: you guys rock! That's helpful already.
Charlie

Colin

Post by Colin »

You're welcome. Also consider as hidden passages the narrow walkways inside walls by which things can move from room-to-room unseen, peering out from the eyeholes of portraits on the walls.

Don't forget some supernatural mirrors too; gateways or viewing devices to places odd and unholy, and from which other things can gaze out.

The house could have it own little dungeon or oubliette too, and maybe a flensing room, a place where the flesh and skin of the experimental subjects is removed, something akin to a butcher's slab awash with blood and horrific steel instruments.

Another cool thing might be The Room That Lives. It's warm, it shifts oddly underfoot, it seems to breathe, and if cut, it bleeds, but it is still just a room.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Secret room(s)/hidden passages

+1
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Colin wrote:Another cool thing might be The Room That Lives. It's warm, it shifts oddly underfoot, it seems to breathe, and if cut, it bleeds, but it is still just a room.
Nice! I hope you don't mind if I swipe that one for my own campaign, Colin...
Terry Olson
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Colin wrote:Infested Wine Cellar
Have you been playing some Call of Cthulhu secretly?!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Skyscraper wrote:
Heh. My name's in the contributor's section of the newly revised (and award-winning) edition of Cthulhu by Gaslight for a reason. ;) On a more general note, my games often run with a horrific bent as that's just the way my brain works. For example, in Privateer Press' award-winning Monsternomicon, one of the critters I created was the unique duo of Gristle & Flay, a skinless supernatural "man" and his animate, tattooed skin (which killed you by suffocation and constriction). And you don't wanna know about some of my other creations for other rpg supplements. ;)

Colin
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

To steal from Harry Potter, which stole from other sources, consider staircases that shift where they lead, and pictures that change or watch you as you move around.

Also:

Greenhouse with hordes of man eating plants
Observatory with portals to other worlds
The Stables ... and what _are_ those stains?

... and if the estate is large enough, they may very well have their own cemetery or mausoleum.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Colin wrote:For example, in Privateer Press' award-winning Monsternomicon, one of the critters I created was the unique duo of Gristle & Flay, a skinless supernatural "man" and his animate, tattooed skin (which killed you by suffocation and constriction).
Thanks for the heads-up on the Monsternomicon, very cool. Purchased!
Terry Olson
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

A big THANK YOU to everyone that has responded with ideas. They are all great and will help out tremendously!
Charlie

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Colin wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Heh. My name's in the contributor's section of the newly revised (and award-winning) edition of Cthulhu by Gaslight for a reason. ;) On a more general note, my games often run with a horrific bent as that's just the way my brain works. For example, in Privateer Press' award-winning Monsternomicon, one of the critters I created was the unique duo of Gristle & Flay, a skinless supernatural "man" and his animate, tattooed skin (which killed you by suffocation and constriction). And you don't wanna know about some of my other creations for other rpg supplements. ;)

Colin
Nice!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Judges' Forum”