Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Adventure Plunge!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

So I am creating a link to my different adventures for my home group. Kinda a Adventure Path kinda thing.

After talking about it with my players we decided Adventure Path wasn't the right world. Adventure Path sounds nice and peaceful,like a walk through the woods where you stop and look at the waterfall,smell the flowers and hold hands.Enjoy the outdoors and different locals as you wind your way through.

That doesn't sound like our DCC games at all. Our DCC adventures are more like, Hellrazor meets Saw and get together and kick Lord of the Rings to death with steel toed boots.

Our DCC adventures are dirty and bloody and filled with screaming and the thrashing of feet. Pleading and moaning cut short by wet sounding,bone splitting sickening thuds. And that's when it goes our way!

No,DCCRPG shouldn't have adventure Paths but Adventure Plunges!

The characters have to leap off a cliff to escape some horrible creature only to plunge towards the ground far below.Only those are not sharp rocks below but dark stone shaped creatures with malachite teeth and they are hungry!

DCCRPG's Adventure Plunges are not something you sign up for but something you try like hell to survive,but probably don't. That's ok though because there are worse things than death.

Post subject: Re: The Adventure Plunge!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

"Adventure Plunge" -- I love the sound of this.

Of course, as the person running the game would you be the Plunger?

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

finarvyn wrote:
Of course, as the person running the game would you be the Plunger?

I don't want to be on the receiving end of that...

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

If the DM is the plunger...what does that make the pc's?

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Devil Swine wrote:

Hence our new term up for consideration: The Adventure Cliff!

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hey all,

My group has run through all of the official adventure cliff plunges for DCC (including 3rd party)

Does anyone have any suggestions for published modules that can be converted that are in the spirit of DCC?

Thanks!

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:12 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Most of the 3E DCC modulues by Goodman Games are pretty good. I particularly suggest any by Harley.

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

acseric wrote:
Hey all,

My group has run through all of the official adventure cliff plunges for DCC (including 3rd party)

Does anyone have any suggestions for published modules that can be converted that are in the spirit of DCC?

Barrowmaze is good -- but I've found that the true "dungeon crawl" in the ilk of Basic/AD&D is NOT in the spirit. Yes it's called DCC, but the idea is the short, painful hellish adventure that continually defines the characters that survive. The dungeon crawl/megadungeon is an endless slog through monsters and traps that everyone has seen before. And of course, those old adventures (and Barrowmaze) hand out treasure like candy on Halloween.

I'm taking Barrowmaze and cutting it up into distinct, but related adventures. His undead additions are great and the idea of Barrowmaze is fantastic -- especially the tripartite fight between Orcus, Set and Nergal. For DCC it just needs less crawl and more Appendix N.

Actually -- the adventures by Richard Pett (of the "Styes" fame and others) in Dungeon magazine are well within the DCC ideal. These are 3.5 adventures, but they are essentially Call of Cthulhu filtered through D&D.

For that matter, pieces and parts of Call of Cthulhu adventures would work great for DCC. You'd have to gauge how much your characters care about research/roleplaying, but the adventures can be toggled accordingly.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

ragboy wrote:
For that matter, pieces and parts of Call of Cthulhu adventures would work great for DCC. You'd have to gauge how much your characters care about research/roleplaying, but the adventures can be toggled accordingly.

--I hadn't specifically thought of that, but consider that swiped! :twisted:

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

GnomeBoy wrote:
Devil Swine wrote:

Hence our new term up for consideration: The Adventure Cliff!
"Adventure Cliff" -- I love the sound of this.

Of course, as the person running the game would you be the "Cliff Hanger"?

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

finarvyn wrote:
...Of course, as the person running the game would you be the "Cliff Hanger"?

"Shover". :mrgreen:

"Cliff Hangers" would be those rare folks that somehow survive...

Here Be DCC Monsters...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

The adventure or module would be Cliff Notes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

GnomeBoy wrote:
--I hadn't specifically thought of that, but consider that swiped! :twisted:

I did this back in the Eberron days -- Horror on the Karnathi Express... Great campaign.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Devil Swine wrote:
The adventure or module would be Cliff Notes.

*Orson Welles slow clap gif*

Here Be DCC Monsters...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:12 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hey all,

I am looking to make an elevator pitch to my playgroup to try DCC as our next game system. For those unaware of the concept...

An elevator pitch is meant to be short, and as the name implies, delivered in the time it takes to complete your average elevator ride. The length can vary, but you typically want to be able to present your elevator pitch comfortably without rushing in under two minutes, ideally in under one minute.

Anyway, my target audience are all veteran D&D players (AD&D thru 3.5 and castles and crusades). I am in love with the DCC system, and want to be able to convince them to give it a try.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

acseric wrote:

It's the game you played when you were a teenager. Without all the pimples and virginity.

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

ragboy wrote:
acseric wrote:

It's the game you played when you were a teenager. Without all the pimples and virginity.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

ragboy wrote:

Awesome! :lol: