Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Online Game with Maptools
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Anyone interested? If so, right now I'm simply testing. For the next two hours, I'm going to stay connected at the following server/location:

DCC RPG Testing
password: DCCRPGLOL

If someone can connect to make sure I have my firewall set up properly, that would be a great help.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Post subject: Re: Online Game with Maptools
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:25 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

The only RPG-related "maptools" thing I can find is something you download -- whereas it sounds like you're in some kind of online social/chat thingamajig...

A link wouldn't hurt... 8)

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:17 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

MapTool is an online Virtual Table Top. You do download a client:

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool

Once you have the client downloaded and running you can then connect to another person's instance/server and have a shared battlemap. It is a pretty cool, but these days I've been doing a lot more with Roll20 and Tabletop Forge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:48 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

GnomeBoy wrote:
The only RPG-related "maptools" thing I can find is something you download -- whereas it sounds like you're in some kind of online social/chat thingamajig...

A link wouldn't hurt... 8)

1. Download MapTool from http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool. YOU MUST DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.3.b87 as this is the version that will be running the server.

2. Run MapTool.

3. From the "File" pull-down menu at the top-left of the MapTool window, select "Connect to Server".

4. In the "Connect to Server" box, type in your username for the session (this can be anything, but should ideally be your character's name to aid ease of identification during play), the password (DCCRPGLOL) and select "DCC RPG" from the server list. Clicking OK should connect you to the server. Please note that the server will only be running (and hence visible to MapTool) during game sessions;

5. Once you're connected to the server, please make sure you have the chat window open (i.e. "Chat" is ticked under the "Window" pull-down menu). Also, in the main game window, make sure the grid is visible by clicking on "Show Grid" under the "View" pull-down menu. Similarly for the grid coordinates ("View" -> "Show Coordinates").

6. You can pan around the main game window by holding down the right mouse button. You can zoom in and out using the mouse wheel.

7. You can roll dice using the /roll command in the chat window. For example '/roll 3d6' would report the result from rolling three six-sided dice.

8. Other useful chat window commands include:

/gm - sends the associated message to the gm only.
/whisper (player name) - sends the associated message to the stated player only.
/help - displays a list of all available chat window commands.

9. You'll need a token for your character for when we use the main game window as a battle grid for combat. Or you can create your own from any picture using TokenTool.

10. Finally, if you require more detailed guidance on the use of MapTool, the MapTool Documentation Wiki is a good resource.

If you encounter any difficulties, or have any questions about the use of MapTool (or TokenTool), please post them below and I'll do my best to help.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Well, I've tried... :)

But I'm repeatedly getting a 'could not load campaign' message... :(

Maybe you've gone. I realize it wasn't the most prompt I've ever been...

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:15 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

GnomeBoy wrote:
Well, I've tried... :)

But I'm repeatedly getting a 'could not load campaign' message... :(

Maybe you've gone. I realize it wasn't the most prompt I've ever been...

But you saw the campaign in the list of servers?

Hmmm. I'll take a look at my router. It's back up -- try again if you see this in the next few hours.

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:06 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

IronWolf wrote:
MapTool is an online Virtual Table Top. You do download a client:

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool

Once you have the client downloaded and running you can then connect to another person's instance/server and have a shared battlemap. It is a pretty cool, but these days I've been doing a lot more with Roll20 and Tabletop Forge.

If MapTool gets to be a hassle, let me second IronWolf's suggestion regarding roll20. I use roll20.net routinely to run DCC (almost all of my games are via VTT since players now live 200 miles apart).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:34 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

ragboy wrote:
But you saw the campaign in the list of servers?

Hmmm. I'll take a look at my router. It's back up -- try again if you see this in the next few hours.

Yeah, the DCCRPG was there, I just tried to connect several times, and got the error message. Having no experience with the system, I don't even know what I may have been doing wrong, so I guess I didn't survive the funnel...

Here Be DCC Monsters...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Pesky wrote:
If MapTool gets to be a hassle, let me second IronWolf's suggestion regarding roll20. I use roll20.net routinely to run DCC (almost all of my games are via VTT since players now live 200 miles apart).

And when would you be running one of these games?? I'd love to join if you have the space. I used to play in a Fantasy Grounds game, and loved it, but it's rather difficult to convince people to throw down $$ for that app... :)

Lemme know.

Paul

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

ragboy wrote:
And when would you be running one of these games?? I'd love to join if you have the space.

Hey ragboy/Paul I'll send you a PM. I have to make the disclaimer, however, that I plan on taking the PCs through "Sepulcher of the Mountain God." Something tells me that you are a bit too familiar with that one... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Pesky wrote:
ragboy wrote:
And when would you be running one of these games?? I'd love to join if you have the space.

Hey ragboy/Paul I'll send you a PM. I have to make the disclaimer, however, that I plan on taking the PCs through "Sepulcher of the Mountain God." Something tells me that you are a bit too familiar with that one... :wink:

I can always be the henchman that no one listens to... "I wouldn't flip that switch if I were...nevermind."

Actually, do you mind if I lurk on that game? I'd love to see my "creation" in action...

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Alright, you've convinced me... viewtopic.php?f=76&t=42150

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:09 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I just remembered that ironwolf did a really nice writeup of roll20 here. He also discusses TabletopForge, which is still just-post-kickstarter new, but may become a serious contender with a little time.