The Adventure Plunge!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

The Adventure Plunge!

Post by Devil Swine »

So I am creating a link to my different adventures for my home group. Kinda a Adventure Path kinda thing.

After talking about it with my players we decided Adventure Path wasn't the right world. Adventure Path sounds nice and peaceful,like a walk through the woods where you stop and look at the waterfall,smell the flowers and hold hands.Enjoy the outdoors and different locals as you wind your way through.

That doesn't sound like our DCC games at all. Our DCC adventures are more like, Hellrazor meets Saw and get together and kick Lord of the Rings to death with steel toed boots.

Our DCC adventures are dirty and bloody and filled with screaming and the thrashing of feet. Pleading and moaning cut short by wet sounding,bone splitting sickening thuds. And that's when it goes our way!

No,DCCRPG shouldn't have adventure Paths but Adventure Plunges!

The characters have to leap off a cliff to escape some horrible creature only to plunge towards the ground far below.Only those are not sharp rocks below but dark stone shaped creatures with malachite teeth and they are hungry!

DCCRPG's Adventure Plunges are not something you sign up for but something you try like hell to survive,but probably don't. That's ok though because there are worse things than death.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: The Adventure Plunge!

Post by finarvyn »

"Adventure Plunge" -- I love the sound of this.

Of course, as the person running the game would you be the Plunger?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

finarvyn wrote: Of course, as the person running the game would you be the Plunger?
I don't want to be on the receiving end of that...
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

If the DM is the plunger...what does that make the pc's?

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Devil Swine wrote:If the DM is the plunger...what does that make the pc's?

Hence our new term up for consideration: The Adventure Cliff!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
acseric
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by acseric »

Hey all,

My group has run through all of the official adventure cliff plunges for DCC (including 3rd party)

Does anyone have any suggestions for published modules that can be converted that are in the spirit of DCC?

Thanks!

Eric
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Most of the 3E DCC modulues by Goodman Games are pretty good. I particularly suggest any by Harley.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

acseric wrote:Hey all,

My group has run through all of the official adventure cliff plunges for DCC (including 3rd party)

Does anyone have any suggestions for published modules that can be converted that are in the spirit of DCC?
Barrowmaze is good -- but I've found that the true "dungeon crawl" in the ilk of Basic/AD&D is NOT in the spirit. Yes it's called DCC, but the idea is the short, painful hellish adventure that continually defines the characters that survive. The dungeon crawl/megadungeon is an endless slog through monsters and traps that everyone has seen before. And of course, those old adventures (and Barrowmaze) hand out treasure like candy on Halloween.

I'm taking Barrowmaze and cutting it up into distinct, but related adventures. His undead additions are great and the idea of Barrowmaze is fantastic -- especially the tripartite fight between Orcus, Set and Nergal. For DCC it just needs less crawl and more Appendix N.

Actually -- the adventures by Richard Pett (of the "Styes" fame and others) in Dungeon magazine are well within the DCC ideal. These are 3.5 adventures, but they are essentially Call of Cthulhu filtered through D&D.

For that matter, pieces and parts of Call of Cthulhu adventures would work great for DCC. You'd have to gauge how much your characters care about research/roleplaying, but the adventures can be toggled accordingly.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

ragboy wrote:For that matter, pieces and parts of Call of Cthulhu adventures would work great for DCC. You'd have to gauge how much your characters care about research/roleplaying, but the adventures can be toggled accordingly.
--I hadn't specifically thought of that, but consider that swiped! :twisted:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Devil Swine wrote:If the DM is the plunger...what does that make the pc's?

Hence our new term up for consideration: The Adventure Cliff!
"Adventure Cliff" -- I love the sound of this.

Of course, as the person running the game would you be the "Cliff Hanger"?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:...Of course, as the person running the game would you be the "Cliff Hanger"?
"Shover". :mrgreen:

"Cliff Hangers" would be those rare folks that somehow survive...

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

The adventure or module would be Cliff Notes.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

GnomeBoy wrote: --I hadn't specifically thought of that, but consider that swiped! :twisted:
I did this back in the Eberron days -- Horror on the Karnathi Express... Great campaign.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Devil Swine wrote:The adventure or module would be Cliff Notes.
*Orson Welles slow clap gif*

acseric
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by acseric »

Hey all,

I am looking to make an elevator pitch to my playgroup to try DCC as our next game system. For those unaware of the concept...

An elevator pitch is meant to be short, and as the name implies, delivered in the time it takes to complete your average elevator ride. The length can vary, but you typically want to be able to present your elevator pitch comfortably without rushing in under two minutes, ideally in under one minute.

Anyway, my target audience are all veteran D&D players (AD&D thru 3.5 and castles and crusades). I am in love with the DCC system, and want to be able to convince them to give it a try.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

acseric wrote:
It's the game you played when you were a teenager. Without all the pimples and virginity.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

ragboy wrote:
acseric wrote:
It's the game you played when you were a teenager. Without all the pimples and virginity.
Winner winner, chicken dinner!
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

ragboy wrote: It's the game you played when you were a teenager. Without all the pimples and virginity.
Awesome! :lol:
Terry Olson

Return to “DCC RPG General”