Electronic maps for print purchasers

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Atlatl Jones
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Electronic maps for print purchasers

Post by Atlatl Jones »

Hi,

I have purchased a couple modules in print form, but I would love to have electronic copies of the maps, so I can print them out in larger scale, cut out each room/location separately, and use them as a battlemap of sorts. Is there any way to download the maps without also purchasing the full PDFs?
Sebacore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Electronic maps for print purchasers

Post by Sebacore »

I too would be interested in this.

Though without giving the maps away for free, I don't see how it could be done.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I've bought two hardback rulebooks, the second (limited edition) mostly because I wanted DCC 66.5 Doom of the Savage Kings. But the books aren't easily scanned due to their size, so I've had to scum the occasional PDF page from forum-mates willing to pass it along. Is this really copyright infringement? Am I taking money out of GG's pocket? Ehh... I don't really think so. I mean, I own the books, 2 of them even. I'll probably pick up another at some point, just to have an extra for the table. But anyway I look at it as somebody's just kind enough to save me the hassle of scanning in the pages I wanted printed out.

For modules, I only buy PDFs (don't yet own and physical modules except 66.5), because I like to print them out and arrange maps adjacent to the areas in a 3-ring binder, write notes in the margins, replace text sometimes, etc. Been thinking about breaking down and dropping $27 on the PDF of the rulebook, though, just to be able to print spell pages and stuff as needed. It seems kind of like a waste though. I dunno.

Didn't somebody talk about a subscription model at some point? That'd probably be nice!
Sebacore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sebacore »

If there was a bundle option for like a dollar more I'd be all over it. I have a thing I just want the physical books, but the PDFs can be so useful for the reasons mentioned above.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I had a similar thought the other day -- I'd like to see poster sized maps printed up for some of the modules. Some of Doug's maps are really busy and would look good posterboard sized...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

beermotor wrote: But the books aren't easily scanned due to their size
8 1/2" X11" is difficult to scan??

Every single scanner I saw in the last 10 years was built to scan letter size paper! (or larger)
:lol:
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

sheriffharry wrote:
beermotor wrote: But the books aren't easily scanned due to their size
8 1/2" X11" is difficult to scan??

Every single scanner I saw in the last 10 years was built to scan letter size paper! (or larger)
:lol:
It's that third dimension that's tricky. It's a very thick book.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Yes, but maps aren't in the rulebook! ??
You've done it I'm confused now.

:?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Not a perfect solution, but Doug sometimes posts images of his work on his blog, and in the "for sale" section of his website.

And since he does all the maps ...

http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/wp-content ... ings04.jpg

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

Necromancer games used to print a code in their modules. Then placed extras like maps and other stuff on the official site that you couldn't download without that code.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

sheriffharry wrote:Yes, but maps aren't in the rulebook! ??
You've done it I'm confused now.

:?
People are wanting electronic versions of more things than just the maps. Having a copy-n-pastable version of the spells, for example.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”