Some gems for the collectors

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Some gems for the collectors

Post by goodmangames »

I've been cleaning out my garage, which has many years of accumulated Goodman Games "treasure" in it. (And far too many boxes of gaming stuff, which is another story...) I've come across some little gems that the collectors may be interested in. No, these aren't for sale, but I thought some folks might be interested in seeing these items -- this is the kind of rare material that you need to really call your collection complete. I'll add to this thread as I finish cleaning out the garage...I'm sure there's more in there. :)

Here are a couple con specials that are hard to come by:

Here's the German translation of Idylls of the Rat King. The same company also translated The Dragonfiend Pact and Into the Wilds -- I'll post pics of those whenever they turn up:

This is DCC #51.5: The Sinister Secret of Whiterock. I'm sure many people have a copy, but do you have all three editions? We did this module for Free RPG Day, then released it to stores as a $2 module, and also gave away a bunch at Gen Con for free. You can see from the photos below that the prints are slightly different:

Here are the French translations of our 4E modules, Character Codex, and DM Campaign Tracker:

At each Gen con tournament we ran, we would print Player Packs for the participants. These were given out to the players, and they contained pregenerated characters and info for the PCs. The DMs would all get judges packs, which had the scoring sheets. Here are a couple examples of these:

Back in 2009 we published Tomb of the Blind God. This was the only 4E con special that we did, if I recall correctly. It was produced in two covers, the green cover (featuring Erol Otus art) and the white cover. The white cover was printed in a plain version (for D&D Experience), and two con versions (DunDraCon and GenghisCon), as well as a special Troll & Toad cover. The green cover was done in three versions: one for NTRPG (shown below), one for Gen Con, and one plain one for D&D Experience. This photo shows several of the covers (I haven't come across the plain and Gen Con green ones yet, but I'm sure they'll turn up).

And here's something from long, long ago. Some of you may know that the first product released by Goodman Games was Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex. That game began as a miniatures game, which I originally pitched to an existing publisher. That publisher turned down the proposal...and thus was born Goodman Games. Here is the original proposal I sent to them:

Wow...that was a nice little trip down memory lane! We'll see what else the garage holds as I delve further in the coming weeks. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Some gems for the collectors

Post by tovokas »

Love the Dino-Wars booklet. That sort of thing really is priceless.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

That is pretty cool. Seeing the "Mask of Death" module makes me want to rewatch Dorkness Rising :lol:
Terry Olson
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

CNN NEWS STORY: GUY POSTS PICS, BURGLAR BREAKS INTO GARAGE THE NEXT DAY. NOTHING TAKEN BUT BOX OF JUNK.

If only we knew where you live, we could stalk you. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Niiiiice. Was it really six years ago that I picked up 17.5? #timeflies

Of course, what we all really want to see is the amassed collection of SW minis...! :shock:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

GnomeBoy wrote:Of course, what we all really want to see is the amassed collection of SW minis...! :shock:
Like I said, lots and lots of gaming stuff in the garage. Lots of RPG's...and lots of SW minis...and lots of other stuff. Too much gaming stuff... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

My party wants to fireball the farmer in Mask of Death!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Sweet! My own favorites are anything that Erol Otus touches.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here are a few more "Goodman gems" that I found as I unpacked a few more boxes in the garage.

This is perhaps the most-coveted DCC module, the elusive DCC #3.5. This one's not in particularly good shape; it was at the bottom of a box of other stuff. I actually had several duplicate copies but they got destroyed when a pipe broke in my basement several years ago. Now I think I only have the copy Dave signed for me, and apparently this one.

Another hard-to-find con module, DCC #0. This is the version released at DunDraCon. It was subsequently released to stores with the new GG logo.

Here are some first printings of DCC #1 and DCC #5.

And speaking of printings, here's an interesting story. DCC #1 had three printings released to stores. Most collectors refer to the Jim Holloway cover as the third printing. Well, it's actually the fourth printing, and the third printing was (mostly) destroyed. The printer aligned the cover incorrectly on the "true" third printing, such that they cut off part of the map legend when the cover was trimmed. I had to destroy the entire print run so they could re-run it correctly. But I saved one box. I gave away copies of the mis-prints to the guys who helped me out at Gen Con that year, so there are maybe 1-2 dozen floating around out there. And I've got a couple copies in my garage. This is the "true" third printing, the one with the mis-printed cover; the third run released to stores, where the cover was corrected, is actually the fourth print run. Below is a photo of the outside cover (which looks the same) and the inside cover (where you can see the incorrect trim on the left side).

Here is another convention player pack. This one dates waaayyy back to our first Gen Con tournament!

The Brazilian (Portuguese) edition of Aerial Adventure Guide.

Here is a copy of a promotional magazine I released many, many years ago. Covert Ops had previews and bonus material for our 3E books available at that time. I believe we only did one or maybe two issues...I don't remember for sure now. We'll see if another issue turns up in the garage. :)

And finally, for the TRUE collectors, here is the official Goodman Games Penny Tray! Released during the height of 4E to a couple hundred retailers nationwide. I still have a box of these lying around. Send me money for postage and I'll send you one. You know you need it. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

And continuing with more finds as I clean out my garage...

Here are the French translations of our Age of Cthulhu adventures:

Here is the German translation of The Dragonfiend Pact:

Earlier I showed the French translation of Sellswords of Punjar. Here is the Spanish edition:

A previous post also showed the various covers of Tomb of the Blind God. Here is a picture of the Gen Con cover, which turned up in my latest unpacked boxes:

Now that we're on to convention specials, here are a few more. From Gen Con 2009, here is a fun little "instruction booklet" we did called How To Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck.

Here is a 1E conversion of all the Rat King adventures (with some new content thrown in). This one was produced for Gen Con 2008, and is particularly fun because this was a new Jeff Dee cover that wasn't used anywhere else:

And last in today's entries, here is another con special, the 1E conversion of the Witch Queen saga. This was from Gen Con 2007.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here's another fun one that turned up unpacking boxes today. At our Gen Con tournaments, we tightly controlled the manuscripts for the adventures that would be run. I didn't want to risk any player getting an edge by reading about the adventure beforehand. There was never an electronic copy published for the final adventure -- each judge received a hard copy mailed directly to them. Early on I was nervous that a judge might leave their copy lying around Gen Con, or some dishonest player might try to filch a copy if they knew it had the secrets to winning the tournament. So I bound the tournament adventure manuscripts under false cover. There were only ever a dozen or so produced for each tournament (one for each judge). This one is from our second Gen Con DCC tournament. The cover titles it as a submission from the fan Yura Crapper for a title no one would ever want to read, the Complete Guide to Kobolds. But open it up and all the secrets of that year's tournament are inside!

Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Best fan name ever!
MormonYoYoMan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Tease...you're such a tease! Especially with that photo of 20.5!

Quick! Who has an OCR scanner?
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

"It ain’t what folks know that’s the problem, it’s what they know that ain’t so." - Henry W. Shaw
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here are a few more items I came across while packing for Pacificon this past weekend.

The German edition of DCC #28:

And some of our Gen Con badge ribbons, given out as earned during our DCC tournaments. (And some folks at Pacificon earned some of these this weekend, too!)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Those modules are a blast from the past Joe! Prester salutes your cleaning prowess!

I found a bunch of collectibles myself as well, including a DCC #3 signed by Dave Arneson and a DCC #4 signed by Erol Otus. Trying to buy my wife something special for our anniversary and hoped to share my bounty on this site. Any thoughts on how best to offer this to the community?

Ben "Superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Superfan! Long time no talk. How are you doing?

As for your question -- Ebay baby! And make sure to publicize the auction over at the Acaeum and other places where collectors gather...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
melvin719
Gongfarmer

Post by melvin719 »

Is there any thought of re-issuing all of the "#.5" modules, either separately or under 4th-edition rules in the future?
And, might there be more "#.5" modules later in the DCC series?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

melvin719 wrote:Is there any thought of re-issuing all of the "#.5" modules, either separately or under 4th-edition rules in the future?
My guess would be "no" because Joseph seems more interested in looking forward than looking back. This trip down "memory lane" doesn't happen often. :lol:
melvin719 wrote:And, might there be more "#.5" modules later in the DCC series?
Well, we had the one for Free RPG Day and Joseph has shown an interest in supporting such things, so it wouldn't surprise me to get another #.5 for the DCC RPG.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”