Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zocchi Dice Buyer's Guide
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

mikepmarkey wrote:
...but I could offer some individual dice in other colors in the future if there's interest.

Well, that's a thought if you're finding this worth going forward with... Some folks like their dice to be all one color, and then there are those of us that like variety so we can pick out the right one easier...

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:32 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Well, that auction is over and another box of dice is out the door or will be soon. Feel free to leave positive feedback if you already got yours. That's it for me until some time after Gen Con.

Happy gaming, and may all your hits be crits!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I thank you kindly, and look forward to receiving my sets.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:06 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Got my sets Friday! Just in time for my first session that night!

Players were mystified by them!

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:06 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Got my two sets the other day. My son took one look at them and said something to the effect of "cool, but why are the d7 and d14 so huge?"

So, why are the d7 and d14 so huge?

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Cool! I just got my two sets, and they are beautiful! And it's game night....how cool is that!

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am 

I could of sworn I ordered a set, but I can't find proof!!! When will these be available again? I need some. Plain white set is perfect for my purpose.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

reverenddak wrote:
I could of sworn I ordered a set, but I can't find proof!!! When will these be available again? I need some. Plain white set is perfect for my purpose.

I got mine today. Each die was individually paper-wrapped inside a bubble-wrap envelope, so they arrived in pristine condition. I am very happy with the purchase, and very happy with the seller. When they become available again, I am considering buying more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:17 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Koplow are selling these sets for $7.50 here at GenCon. Some are all white, some are mixed colors including black, blue, green.
Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Those are literally the ugliest dice in existence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am 

Vanguard wrote:

Yep. perfect for demos and table loaners!

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I like 'em. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Vanguard wrote:

They are bland, but I've seen uglier... Heck, I have uglier...

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

finarvyn wrote:
So, why are the d7 and d14 so huge?

OK...so while at GenCon and after buying six sets, individually, as well as all the other dice my kids and I wanted, I told them I had only one complaint....why are the d7/d14's so big?

Here's the gist:
They had no idea there would be such a demand. Nobody told them their would be a game that called for them (I informed him as part of the conversation that the name of the game was DCC from Goodman - he literally had no idea). At present, all they had in the way of molds for d7/d14 were for educational purposes - continents (an I think seas). In order to make that work, each face had to be large enough to have a picture of the geographical location in question. Thus - d7/d14 have huge faces to fit the pictures!

He seemed sympathetic to my pleas and there is hope that by GenCon next year we might see more normal-sized d7/d14 dice.

It also seemed kind of neat to me - "converting" shapes/dice intended for education to be used in an RPG had a nice symmetry to it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Jim Skach wrote:
...It also seemed kind of neat to me - "converting" shapes/dice intended for education to be used in an RPG had a nice symmetry to it...

Great story.

And D&D has always been edumacational -- I figure I owe about 3-in-8 of my Scrabble words to Mr. Gygax!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:40 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Anyone try making dice on Shapeways?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Don't want to destroy your business, but would you mind sharing where you're getting these? I'd like to order some and you ain't got any for sale right now. :-)

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:09 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I saw the post above about Koplow's Big Damn Oddball Dice while at Gen Con, so I visited the Dealer's Hall and grabbed a set of those and the matching jumbo "normal" polyhedrals. The only one they didn't have on hand was the d14 (though they did have the d7, go figure), so I placed an eBay order for that while at Gen Con. When I got home, my final die was here, making it complete. My only complaint is that the d16 is still a bit on the smaller side when compared with the rest of the set. Oh, and I picked up the nifty reinforced vinyl bag for 'em too.

See, some of you have been dissing their oversized shapes, but I think that's what makes these so cool! See the "normal sized" polys next to them? Yeah, when you roll these, you get a sissy little noise - KLINK - DINKLE - TINKLE - TINK. But roll these BDD (big damn dice) and they sound all manly and stuff - BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK. when those go bouncing, you know serious sh*t's goin' down!

Some folks call their dice "knucklebones," but these are "skullbones."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Big dice are nice for both younger and older gamers ... you know the one you were and the one you will be. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

sniderman wrote:
BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK.

Thanks, you just named my next 4 zero level PCs :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 pm 

I call them Kindergarten dice... like the pencils, crayons, Duplo, etc... but they're awesome.

Don't use them on fine tables, they will dent them. Don't use them on Glass tables, they're break them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

And don't use them in your dice tower either. Now I gotta go find pumper's helper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dice are back up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320994331507

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

sniderman wrote:

I saw the post above about Koplow's Big Damn Oddball Dice while at Gen Con, so I visited the Dealer's Hall and grabbed a set of those and the matching jumbo "normal" polyhedrals. The only one they didn't have on hand was the d14 (though they did have the d7, go figure), so I placed an eBay order for that while at Gen Con. When I got home, my final die was here, making it complete. My only complaint is that the d16 is still a bit on the smaller side when compared with the rest of the set. Oh, and I picked up the nifty reinforced vinyl bag for 'em too.

See, some of you have been dissing their oversized shapes, but I think that's what makes these so cool! See the "normal sized" polys next to them? Yeah, when you roll these, you get a sissy little noise - KLINK - DINKLE - TINKLE - TINK. But roll these BDD (big damn dice) and they sound all manly and stuff - BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK. when those go bouncing, you know serious sh*t's goin' down!

Some folks call their dice "knucklebones," but these are "skullbones."

Can some one tell me where I can get both these dice and the bag to purchase please
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

thefmgirl wrote:
Can some one tell me where I can get both these dice and the bag to purchase please
thanks

I picked them all up at Gen Con. They're Koplow dice.

http://www.koplowgames.com/

The bag is from Crystal Caste.

www.crystalcaste.com

There have been a few links posted earlier in this thread telling you where you can pick these up. Heck, there's even an eBay auction in the post above yours offering most of these dice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320994331507

And when all else fails, poke around eBay, game store sites, and the usual locations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next