Best Reading Locales for Appendix N?

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Best Reading Locales for Appendix N?

Post by Pesky »

Typically I read Appendix N fiction in my bed before going to sleep. This weekend, however, I was on vacation with my wife and read HPL's "At the Mountains of Madness" over three chilly nights outside in the fog with a small fire, while the Pacific Ocean crashed into the shore roughly 200' away. That setting really enhanced the story! :D

What cool experience-enhancing locales have you all read in and what did you read?
Terry Olson
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Best Reading Locales for Appendix N?

Post by Karaptis »

Though not appendix N, I read the Dragonlance novels while training in the desert on a hillside at sunset (the end of the working day). That was fun! Lord Dunsany should be read in like some hidden stream in a forest.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Karaptis wrote:Though not appendix N, I read the Dragonlance novels while training in the desert on a hillside at sunset (the end of the working day). That was fun!
Oh, that sounds good. :)
Terry Olson
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

For me, nothing beats reading The Hobbit as a kid during an early summer morning, when school was out!
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I read some of the pirate themed Conan stories while sitting in a cabana on the beach. The sounds and smells of the sea made the images in my mind's eye more vivid.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I used to listen to Lovecraft while mopping the floors of a church late at night.
Don't have to mop the floors any more, though. :)
John Adams
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

sbrndf11 wrote:For me, nothing beats reading The Hobbit as a kid during an early summer morning, when school was out!
Actually, nothing beats doing anything during an early summer morning, when school was out. :lol:

I have a couch where I love to read. It's all beat up, but is soft and is placed in front of a big window so there is a lot of light.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

finarvyn wrote:Actually, nothing beats doing anything during an early summer morning, when school was out. :lol:
I'll second that! Thanks for the responses everyone. It's fun to read about others' experiences.
Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I used to listen to Lovecraft while mopping the floors of a church late at night.
Somehow, this seems both very creepy and very cool!
Terry Olson
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

I read LotR in the fall when I had just turned 14, it was the first fantasy literature I had ever read. Two places come to mind every time I see the book's cover. The Hobbit, I remember staying w/ my Grandparents for a week and my Grandmother had picked up The Hobbit and the trilogy for me at my request one day. I remember sitting on her bed as I drew the books from the paper bag. I always loved her bedroom set which had belonged to my Great Grandmother and now it's mine and my Wife's. The Hobbit reminds me of being in her room that day and the furniture now often reminds me of reading The Hobbit.
A few weeks later I was reading The Two Towers at my family's marina (I was suppose to be busy working!). I was hidden sitting on the bulk head beside a cedar swamp. Every time I see the cover to the late 70s Ballentine edition I'm transported back to that overcast day in November sitting by the swamp.
I dropped the book in a mud puddle that afternoon too.
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/

Return to “Appendix N”