Old Dudes Play Doom!

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Old Dudes Play Doom!

Post by Zeiros »

We started "Doom of the Savage Kings" on Friday Evening, running my third DCC Adventure, 10 , 1st level PC's in tow.

General comments, Prelude, discussion of Mighty Deeds, and the first encounter with the hound can be read HERE

Things are alot more complicated now that everyone can "do stuff"

Questions about the hound, and I appreciate anyones response, but especially Harley.

Playing the Hound as a type I Demon, from page 401 in main rulebook as far as "demon traits" as concerned.

Although the it doesnt say so in the Hounds description, there is rumor marked true that Hound cannot be turned or dismissed by people of faith
so I am playing it that way.

Although the it doesnt say so in the Hounds description, I am adding the attack bonus into the damage roll for hounds attacks as the attacks are Strength based

is there a monster fumble table?
Last edited by Zeiros on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scrying the land from The Tower of Zeiros
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Old Dudes Play Doom!

Post by Flexi »

Another great write-up! I enjoy reading these.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Pretty awesome, bad rolls by monsters can really save a PC's butt. I could have sworn there was a monster fumble table...
jonchappellnow2
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jonchappellnow2 »

Nice write up. I like how you amped up the Hound by increasing its damage and took advantage of the fog to limit visibility and to increase surprise.

Looking forward to the next write up. Our third session should be documented later this week.

Jon
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

Thanks all, new post is UP, just some intermission talk with a Campaign Map I did and some level 1 Character Sheets...
Part 2 should happen sometime next week shooting for Wednesday evening.
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

Still have one more session to wrap the adventure, it will be three sessions total, crazy long for a 15 or so page adventure but my guys go "off the reservation" in part 3 , we found it totally awesome. We get deep into alot of interesting mechanics of the game, particularity magic, use of spells, and even have a Wizards duel!
Part 2 is just posted , covering the first couple days in Hirot which sets up the upcoming chaos.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Another entertaining write up! The fun had by the group really comes through on these posts.
jonchappellnow2
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Great write up :-)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

This is DCC level Awesome. You've done an amazing job with all the NPCs and the hound. The nuanced (?!) flogging was brilliant.

Well played, sir! I cannot wait to read part three!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying them.
As an aside I pulled out a little Appendix N side bar
I was going to add to part 3, which will be quite long enough as is, so I posted this separately
hopefully you'll get a kick out of it.
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

Part 3 is posted, its quite long as it the tail end of a very long session
Body Count is currently 20 Villagers of Hirot, 1 PC.
We have a showdown coming with Jarl and his men and 5 of our PC's and the Hound is still on the loose.
I hope to conclude the adventure on the coming weekend.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

:shock:

The murder of the Jarl's sorceror was very Appendix N-style. Sloan is going to end up being like some sort of mythic Robilar or other Gygaxian character.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

This module seems to me to be the best of all the new ones so far. Too bad the rest of us can't get it. :(
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

I think that Doom of the Savage Kings is the best OSR module I have acquired so far.

These write-ups of it are very good, with a nice example of a spell duel and combat examples too. Useful for anyone who is interested in seeing how DCC plays.
jonchappellnow2
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I agree. Our group just finished our 4th session of this module and everyone is really digging it.

This is definitely one of the best adventures I've ever played. I've seen some skeptical players who weren't particularly happy with The Portal Beneath the Stars turn around and embrace DCC RPG because of DotSK.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I want to buy this module. :(
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

cthulhudarren wrote:I want to buy this module. :(
You can get limited edition foil copies of the rules off E-bay for $55-ish. If you use Bill Me Later via PayPal, they'll drop 5-10$ off the price, too, which ends up making it pretty nice for a 300+page book that looks like it'd make your mother call the priests and includes a badass module. JUST SAYING.
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

Part 4 , the finale is posted
its was a wild ride, alot of close calls but in the end only 2 PC's died, and only one at fangs of the Hound.
Two clerics on board was absolutely key to the survival rate. Again, props and a thank you to Harley for
his great work. The group is going dark for probably 3 weeks while I ponder what is in store for them next!.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Another interesting write-up. This is the kind of informative thing I would like to see on the AP forums at rpg.net but do not often see on there. It has the right balance of mechanics and roleplaying that makes it useful and entertaining to read.

I like clerics and having more than one is always useful as you have observed. I always feel a little bit more secure when there is at least a pair in a group! :)

I really enjoyed People of the Pit but if you think your group is tough enough, I think they will certainly enjoy The Emerald Enchanter if that is better suited for your group's needs. It definitely is a challenging adventure!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote:
You can get limited edition foil copies of the rules off E-bay for $55-ish. If you use Bill Me Later via PayPal, they'll drop 5-10$ off the price, too, which ends up making it pretty nice for a 300+page book that looks like it'd make your mother call the priests and includes a badass module. JUST SAYING.
I looked into this option and it's not really doable. I am buying the 2nd printing. Is there any chance that this module may be reprinted?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:
I looked into this option and it's not really doable. I am buying the 2nd printing. Is there any chance that this module may be reprinted?
Be aware, 2nd printing price might end up being $10 higher than the list for 1st printing, I think that's been mentioned several places. So, $50, instead of $40....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

http://thetowerofzeiros.blogspot.com/20 ... art-4.html
Tower of Zerios game play report wrote:Reinhart return to see the Mad Widow to tell her the hound is dead, I read the scene from the text but change the vision of that her, young and beautiful, and her husband is ghostly spectre of a younger Agarn. Who nods to his friend Reinhart in approval for seeing this thread of the game to its conclusion..The pair of Ghostly newly weds vanishes leaving Reinhart the golden mail shirt. (My daughter who is too young to play, but old enough to watch, understand, really enjoyed this )
Finally caught up on the post. The above clip, and Dog Face carrying the fight with only a single hit point, are ten kinds of awesome. What an excellent game. Well played!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote: Be aware, 2nd printing price might end up being $10 higher than the list for 1st printing, I think that's been mentioned several places. So, $50, instead of $40....
Can you link me?
7explorer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 7explorer »

When do you think the next adventure will be run?
Zeiros
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zeiros »

7explorer wrote:When do you think the next adventure will be run?
Hi- thanks for the interest, last Friday we did a one session adventure for some of the good PC's and (some new 0 Levelers) I wrote that takes place around there main village. It ties up some loose ends from Doom of the Savage Kings . I threw a little "creepy and weird" at my guys just to keep the overall theme of the Campaign going. I havent had time to write it up yet...hopefully this week. The purpose was get some of the characters a bit more experience and closer to level 2, as we heading into Emerald Enchanter next not sure if its this weekend or next week..but expect, an "Old Dudes meet the Emerald Enchanter" thread very soon.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”