Astonishing Swordsman and Sorcerers of Hyperborea

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Astonishing Swordsman and Sorcerers of Hyperborea

Post by ragboy »

Anyone seen this? Just bought it -- the setting is very Appendix N (Howard and Lovecraft heavy). The ruleset is very AD&D. Lots of potential use out of this one.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Astonishing Swordsman and Sorcerers of Hyperborea

Post by hawkwind »

I brought and have given it a read, the character classes are good but I can't see me playing it instead of DCC Rpg. Its basically a just re written d20 SRD with very little original material apart from the sub classes. The adventures being produced for the game look of more use as they have that appendix N vibe to them.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Beautiful boxed set. Haven't gotten a chance to look at it too closely, but at a glance the monster and treasure sections look to have some good stuff.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I was a doubter when I first picked up the PDF for this one, but I had a chance to play this past weekend and it was a real hoot. There are enough tweaks from AD&D to keep it fresh and the setting is rich with Appendix N flavor. I give it 4 out of 5 loincloths!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Taken at Dunwich is a great Appendix N adventure. I want to run it soon soon, but not sure about the levels. Still thinking about conversion.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Yeah, I imagine their products will convert nicely to DCC much like LotFP material.

* Note, I give DCC RPG 5 our of 5 loincloths, but wanted t give these guys some props
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

DCC RPG is by far the best of these new OSRish systems. The main reason for me is because the Warrior doesn't suck, in fact he rules in DCC RPG!

Return to “Judges' Forum”