Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Evans (Augusta), Georgia
I'm not ready yet, but at some point I might want to try to run a game in the ConstantCon/FLAILSNAILS mode, via Google+ hangouts.

More details here: http://constantcon.blogspot.com/p/what-is-constantcon.html

More or less, I'm playing with a regular group, about every other Saturday. We're playing Dark Heresy, but will switch to DCC sometime soon. I'm not sure how my regular group will like it, or how long they'll want to continue playing it. We'll see.

I, on the other hand, am extremely excited about DCC, and want to be able to continue with it, even if my regular group isn't interested.

I would like to game about once a week, with both games going every two weeks, perhaps, either as a player or as a GM, with anyone who might be interested in that sort of thing. I'd prefer to do DCC for that online game, and probably Google+ would be the best platform for my purposes.

Probably it will be on a Friday or Saturday night, GMT-5 (EST).

Anyone who is interested in discussing this possibility, please add me on Google+ (Edgar Johnson--the one who lives in Evans, Georgia).


Last edited by DocJohnson on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:09 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
I ran several one-shots of DCC RPG on Google+ Hangouts over the past two months. None of them were constantcon or Flailsnails games though. There is also http://www.ua-lc.com/ which puts up the occasional DCC RPG game as well.

I am not sure how much I would worry about a good webcam. I know I wouldn't require a cam for games I run, the voice is the important part. The webcam is nice to have, but I wouldn't consider it a requirement right off the bat. Of course maybe more people out there are requiring a webcam for their games than I am aware of.

I searched your name on Google+, looked like there were a couple of you, wasn't sure which one to pick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:46 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Evans (Augusta), Georgia
IronWolf wrote:
I ran several one-shots of DCC RPG on Google+ Hangouts over the past two months. None of them were constantcon or Flailsnails games though. There is also http://www.ua-lc.com/ which puts up the occasional DCC RPG game as well.

I am not sure how much I would worry about a good webcam. I know I wouldn't require a cam for games I run, the voice is the important part. The webcam is nice to have, but I wouldn't consider it a requirement right off the bat. Of course maybe more people out there are requiring a webcam for their games than I am aware of.

I searched your name on Google+, looked like there were a couple of you, wasn't sure which one to pick.


Ah, yes. Google+ does have extras doesn't it? I'm the Edgar Johnson who lives in Evans, Georgia. I hope that will get you there.

My main concern about a webcam is that I don't have a microphone, even. I figured that as long as I'm gonna get a mic, I might as well get a cam unit with a mic. I'll get something soon, though.

I'd like to hear more about your one-shots. Did you like the interface? Any connection problems? How did you handle things like dice rolling and mapping. That sort of thing.

My apologies to all who read my earlier post. It was written during my first cup of coffee, and not... umm... as coherent as it might have been. I'm much better now! I've edited original post to better express it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
DocJohnson wrote:
My main concern about a webcam is that I don't have a microphone, even. I figured that as long as I'm gonna get a mic, I might as well get a cam unit with a mic. I'll get something soon, though.

I'd like to hear more about your one-shots. Did you like the interface? Any connection problems? How did you handle things like dice rolling and mapping. That sort of thing.


Yeah, lack of a mic would hurt!

Google+ Hangouts has worked out pretty well for the games I have run. In fact we've had minimal difficultly with the Hangouts interface itself. It should be compatible with any browser, but I think I (and most of my players) prefer using either Chrome or Firefox for connecting.

For dice rolling and mapping I usually use a Virtual Table Top. Recently I have been using Roll20.net (integrated into the Google Hangout) or Tabletop Forge. Both are very cool and can handle the dice rolling. Roll20 has mapping that includes fog of war. So I can pre-load my map, blanket it in fog of war and then reveal as needed.

I have written about both Roll20 and Tabletop forge at The Iron Tavern:

Roll20
Tabletop Forge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Evans (Augusta), Georgia
IronWolf wrote:
Yeah, lack of a mic would hurt!

Google+ Hangouts has worked out pretty well for the games I have run. In fact we've had minimal difficultly with the Hangouts interface itself. It should be compatible with any browser, but I think I (and most of my players) prefer using either Chrome or Firefox for connecting.

For dice rolling and mapping I usually use a Virtual Table Top. Recently I have been using Roll20.net (integrated into the Google Hangout) or Tabletop Forge. Both are very cool and can handle the dice rolling. Roll20 has mapping that includes fog of war. So I can pre-load my map, blanket it in fog of war and then reveal as needed.

I have written about both Roll20 and Tabletop forge at The Iron Tavern:

Roll20
Tabletop Forge


Those both look pretty cool. The Roll20 mapping is an especially nice feature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ConstantCon on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
DocJohnson wrote:
Those both look pretty cool. The Roll20 mapping is an especially nice feature.


I polled a group of people who I had run for on both VTTs. They seemed to prefer Roll20 as well, though both have the occasional glitches. I think TTF will catch up now that their kickstart is complete, so I do keep a close eye on that one still. But for the moment Roll20 is where I have been prepping my online campaigns.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group