first run of Starless Sea

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

first run of Starless Sea

Post by themightyeroc »

Ran this last night for 7 players with 3 Pc's each.

Overall, the players had a blast. We had 2 of the players show up and hour into the game and we ran really late. Wanted to finish the adventure in a single night, so I ended up narrating the final battle with Molan and the whole tidal wave bit. Had everyone make a DC 18 luck check to live and wake up on the beach at the end. Everyone was cool with it and they are looking forward to level 1 adventure soon.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: first run of Starless Sea

Post by themightyeroc »

Really enjoyed this adventure, the Players did not investigate everything. They were too scared of the Chapel to even attempt entry. One Player stated, "If real warriors barred those doors, we're leaving them barred!" A shame because the items inside would have helped them later. They also never found the hidden cache in the courtyard.

They description of the well also kept them away from that as well. It's funny now that I think about it, how this group a veteran gamers really shied away from stuff that they could have had a lot of fun with tossing their zero level guys at.

I really want to run this again for a different batch of players too see the difference in outcome.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
mindshadow2k
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mindshadow2k »

This makes me happy to hear because my group of veteran players did exactly the same as yours. They didn't want to get close to the well and did not want to touch the chapel because of the text and barring and missed the courtyard stuff as well.

I was like dang all of that stuff would have so helped out in the end hehe.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Mine also stayed the hell away from the chapel, failed to locate the cache in the courtyard, and failed to discover the tomb. They still had a blast, though, and spent an unreasonable amount of time with a "duck on a rope" at the well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I've run this thing like 6 times and every group missed huge swaths of it.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

My group did a similar thing as well. Veteran players seemed to shy away from stuff on the surface, both dove in face first when underground.
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by viruswithshoes »

This is fascinating. I just ran the first half of this adventure for some seasoned players and they were overly cautious too. They found the cache but thought it was a grave and left it alone for now. They didn't approach the altar to pry the gems off, etc.

They left the incense burner behind due to it's evil nature but one of my players passed a note and said he picked it up on the sly :) Then one of the other characters had second thoughts about grabbing it and went back in to retrieve it only to find it missing.
brogan_a
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brogan_a »

I am about to run it for the first time with a group of 4 or 5 players each with some 0 level guys. About how long does it take it run? We usually game about 4 - 5 hours at a time, and I want to make sure I can finish it, or if there will be a lot of extra time, we can level them up and start a 1st level module. Thanks.

- A. Brogan
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I'd say 2-4 hours depending on what your group does and how they handle certain situations.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Overall, I am quite happy with how this adventure went. It was my first DCC game and everyone involved had a GREAT time!

Things I messed up:
1) Did not give rumors to anyone.
2) used Recover the body rule, and used it wrong. Too many survivors because of this.
3) ran out of time, I ended up narrating the battle at the Ziggurat.

Things I did well:
1) DMing, everyone had a great time and couldn't wait for more.
2) descriptions of the beastmen or Man-beasts as I called them, and the setting.
3) horrid unforgiving death.

We have played once more since then, and are preparing to play again this Friday. If you are interested to see what's happening check out: worldoferoc.blogspot.com

I am luring them to the infamous Judges Guild adventure Tegal Manor. None of my current group has any idea what lies in wait for them.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

I ran the adventure and it took two four hour sessions. The first session included group character creation and the second session included a PC on PC alpha dog gang brawl that slowed things down. I do think that this is a great advenure all in all.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”