Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking for a short 1st-level adventure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:51 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Heya! I'm hoping to run a couple of short DCC adventures for my buddies at GenCon. Portal Under the Stars seems about the right length for the 0-level adventure... enough time for character creation, rules explanation and a few hours of adventure! But, I'd like to get in some 1st-level play as well, and both People of the PIt and Doom of the Savage Kings look more like 2-3 session affairs.

Any recommendations for a short, punchy 1st-level adventure? Hopefully something with a bit of the Appendix N, weird fantasy vibe to it.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a short 1st-level adventure
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 am 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

It seems the time has come to write down the short 1st level mini-adventures I used in my Wilderlands campaigns... A wizard-botanist's tower, a shipwrecked ship, a cult of crabmen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:08 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Have you looked at Attack of the Frawgs or the Purple Sorcerer modules, Ooze Pits etc?

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Ravenheart87 wrote:
It seems the time has come to write down the short 1st level mini-adventures I used in my Wilderlands campaigns... A wizard-botanist's tower, a shipwrecked ship, a cult of crabmen.
Yes, please! Can you do it by Wednesday? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

beermotor wrote:
Have you looked at Attack of the Frawgs or the Purple Sorcerer modules, Ooze Pits etc?
I haven't checked those out yet, but most modules tend to run 2-3 session IME -- I'm looking for something really short because I'm planning to also run Portal under the Stars (plus, we'll be at GenCon, and there'll be lots else to do).

Doesn't have to be for DCC at all, I'm just hoping for that DCC "weird fantasy" vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

enoto wrote:
beermotor wrote:
I haven't checked those out yet, but most modules tend to run 2-3 session IME -- I'm looking for something really short because I'm planning to also run Portal under the Stars (plus, we'll be at GenCon, and there'll be lots else to do).

Doesn't have to be for DCC at all, I'm just hoping for that DCC "weird fantasy" vibe.

Attack of the Frawgs is relatively short (about 7K words and about 12 "locations"); you can typically get through the entire module in a 3-hour sitting depending on how fast you roll up characters. Only in one of my playtests did it take two sessions and that's cuz we started a bit late and were rolling up 3 characters each by hand.