Attack Modifier Table and Blindess

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Attack Modifier Table and Blindess

Post by Skars »

Hey guys, we had a great DCC game yesterday and only a few minor items cropped up while playing that we were a little unsure how to resolve but I think the game was a real hoot.

One item in particular that came up was how to handle PC's in the dark? Essentially the Lantern got snuffed and the players found themselves in total darkness. Looking at the attack modifiers table we were able to easily find the appropriate modifier for the baddies to hit the essentially "blinded" PCs but not the reverse. And once they started to flee in terror into the darkness what should have been the impact to their activities?

After the game, I found what I think to be the appropriate modifier (-8 to hit) within the Mighty Deeds Blindness attack along (pg. 89) with the half movement in a random direction. Was this just overlooked and should be added to the attack modifier table or is there another standard (non-deed) rule for fighting and moving in the dark I am missing?
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Attack Modifier Table and Blindess

Post by meinvt »

Is it okay to say "it depends"? The thing I see here is that if you assign a horrible penalty to hit, make all movement be in a random direction and there is no reasonable way to get light, you've essentially just set the table for a protracted segment ending in a TPK. I think I'd try to let players take actions to orient themselves, or listen for opponents and strike in that direction, etc. to lessen these penalties. -4 to hit and half speed movement is still pretty harsh after all.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

That is certainly a fair response and I think I will still utilize the modifiers and conditions from pg. 89 but really emphasize to my fellow players the importance of having a plan for when the lights go out. :) (psst looking at you demi-humans to relight the torch)
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but the lvl 2 Wizard spell "Invisible Companion" has a rule that attackers miss 50% of the time while trying to hit the invisible creature: "all attacks against it have a 50% chance of missing due to its invisibility" (pg 173).
Terry Olson
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

That's actually a pretty interesting idea there Pesky. Although I think in that case the attacker has enough of their senses available to them to see their surroundings but not the target. Where while in total darkness you can't even watch your step. ;)

So, yes, there should also be an entry on the AMT for "defender is invisible* *=50% of hits miss an invisible defender" or something of that nature.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Glad that helped. This topic has come up before under the discussion of invisibility rather than darkness, but the ideas are probably still useful for you. Here is the thread:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... ble#p84339
Terry Olson

Return to “Rules discussion”