Sword Magic

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sword Magic

Post by Talath »

When creating a magic sword using the Sword Magic spell, do you make a spell chech for each column and for alignment, or is it one spell check for the entire row? Also, does the spell burn apply to each check, or do you have to spell burn for each check?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Sword Magic

Post by goodmangames »

One spell check for "the entire row" on the table, with one set of spellburn applied.

(Re-reading the opening line of the spell description, I can see how this could be confused!)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

Thanks for the quick clarification! That certainly makes more sense than having to make several checks with wildly disparate results.
enoto
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by enoto »

I was confused on this too! OK, so there is only one spell check total to be made through the whole process? The "basic enchantment" section also implies there are multiple checks to be made.

Other questions -- I think I get it now but wanted to be sure:

1. Banes -- you declare and pay for the banes you want upfront, and hope your spell check is a high enough level to get that number? So you'd say "goblinoids and chaotics", feed a bunch of goblin and evil cultist corpses into the forge, and hope you roll at least two banes on your check? And the random bane table is just for found swords?
2. Powers -- kinda similar, you pay for the power types you hope you'll get, ie you pay for a type I and type II, and if you get them, the powers are rolled randomly?
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

enoto wrote:I was confused on this too! OK, so there is only one spell check total to be made through the whole process? The "basic enchantment" section also implies there are multiple checks to be made.

Other questions -- I think I get it now but wanted to be sure:

1. Banes -- you declare and pay for the banes you want upfront, and hope your spell check is a high enough level to get that number? So you'd say "goblinoids and chaotics", feed a bunch of goblin and evil cultist corpses into the forge, and hope you roll at least two banes on your check? And the random bane table is just for found swords?
2. Powers -- kinda similar, you pay for the power types you hope you'll get, ie you pay for a type I and type II, and if you get them, the powers are rolled randomly?
I'd be curious to find out if this is correct
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy
alejero
Gongfarmer
FLGS: goodman games

Post by alejero »

Talath wrote:When creating a magic sword using the Sword Magic spell, do you make a spell chech for each column and for alignment, or is it one spell check for the entire row? Also, does the spell burn apply to each check, or do you have to spell burn for each check?
I´m doing a spell check for the entire row at once.
Rodriguez // "Machete don't text."

Return to “Magic and Spells”