CRAWL! fanzine

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

reverenddak

Re: CRAWL! fanzine

Post by reverenddak »

The Magic Issue is ON SALE NOW!

I love telling you guys first, because you're the best!

Buy it now! http://crawlfanzine.blogspot.com/p/buy-now.html

It was close, but I made my own deadline of getting #3 on sale before the end of the month! Better late than never, right? Heh.

Anyway, subscriptions will be in the mail tomorrow, and regular orders will be fulfilled ASAP! I had content and quality problems, then printing delays... but it's all done and will be in your mailbox soon!

Enjoy!

Here's a bigger version of the back page (it's been modified slightly from the old image):
Attachments
crawl03backcover.png
crawl03backcover.png (122.29 KiB) Viewed 30086 times
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Colin

Post by Colin »

Huzzah! Wonder if folks will note the Appendix N inspirations and movie inspirations in the new familiar entries? :)

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Cover looks neat, can't wait for it to arrive. 8)

Kind of mean, though, showing us what will be put in the mail soon. That means we have to wait several days. :(
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very much looking forward to it!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Whoever can recognize the Appendix N and movie origins of at least two of the new familiars will win an official Chufty Badge. One of the familiars even covers two Appendix N sources. :)

Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colin wrote:Whoever can recognize the Appendix N and movie origins of at least two of the new familiars will win an official Chufty Badge. One of the familiars even covers two Appendix N sources. :)

Colin
You're on! Except for a brief excursion to The Night Circus (because my partner and her brother both thought I'd like it) and Charlotte's Web (because I can't read Conan to my 5-year-old daughter), I've been doing precious little reading other than Appendix N authors since I read the final release of DCC. I've re-read authors I know well, and I've introduced myself to authors I either didn't know as well, or at all. I even carry around a list of books I am looking for (and picked up three of them at BMV next to the World's Biggest Book Store today!).

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

Very nice. I like the Crowley-referencing image...
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

phg wrote:Very nice. I like the Crowley-referencing image...
Hah I noticed that too...

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colin wrote:Whoever can recognize the Appendix N and movie origins of at least two of the new familiars will win an official Chufty Badge. One of the familiars even covers two Appendix N sources. :)

Colin
Here's my two: Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword (rat w/human face that hides well) and Fritz Lieber's The Power of the Puppets (Jester like Punch). Do I get my Chufty Badge?
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

If the clockwork familiar was an owl, i would say CLASH OF THE TITANS !! I second RC's picks. Good issue by the way. My hats off to all of you who made it.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Congratulations, you do indeed! :) Plus, human-faced rat things also appear in Leiber's Ill Met in Lankhmar (Slivikin) and Lovecraft's The Dream in the Witch House (Brown Jenkin), the floating animate grimoire was a nod to Raimi's Army of Darkness flick, the clawed crawling hand is a standard horror trope (so much so it led to Thing in The Addams Family), and there are other nods too.

I almost made a clockwork owl ala Bubo, but decided against it.

Colin
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

You can never go wrong with some good Harryhausen! I though of the Necronomicon biting ash's hand. Too funny!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colin wrote:Congratulations, you do indeed! :)
Cool!
Plus, human-faced rat things also appear in Leiber's Ill Met in Lankhmar (Slivikin) and Lovecraft's The Dream in the Witch House (Brown Jenkin), the floating animate grimoire was a nod to Raimi's Army of Darkness flick, the clawed crawling hand is a standard horror trope (so much so it led to Thing in The Addams Family), and there are other nods too
I am actually re-reading Swords and Deviltry right now (among several other Appendix N books. I was aware of the Lovecraft connection as well, but having read Poul Anderson recently.....it was the first that came to mind. It took a while to locate The High Crusade, The Broken Sword, and Three Hearts and Three Lions, but I am very glad I did!

I thought about Thing, but dismissed TAF as not being Appendix N. Shoulda known better! :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

I ordered Crawl #1 last week,like Monday or Tuesday I think and still no Crawl!

I'm now getting strange looks from the mailman as I dashed to the mailbox,through it opened and then cast him a glare that was meant to say "you probably have MY Crawl and are reading it Don't YOU?".

Dang mailmen are always reading my mail orders for a few days before I get them,I just know it.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”