Greatest line heard in last night's DCC game

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dstack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Greatest line heard in last night's DCC game

Post by dstack »

We're working our way through the funnel. Second session, probably one more to go. Each one has been a blood-bath. After a character is frozen to death, failing to avoid the cursed idol's freeze ray while trying to pry out a gem a player says - "Do we have to level up at the end of this?". I think they are loving the funnel.
Bhodili
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Greatest line heard in last night's DCC game

Post by Bhodili »

My players are the same way, they are loving the sheer chaos of a bunch of peons running headfirst into adventured they have no business being on. I'm a little worried about being able to follow the perfectly made funnel adventures with my campaign. Have to give kudos to everyone involved in the production of this system.
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

I think Judges should play "Yakety Sax" (the Benny Hill song) during 0 level adventures. :lol:
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's awesome. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

dstack wrote: "Do we have to level up at the end of this?"
Have they SEEN the power curve?? There's a goodly jump from 0 to 1, but then it's pretty flat from there... should be plenty of "peons versus Cthulhu" feelings even at level 1 and 2.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

jeff wrote:I think Judges should play "Yakety Sax" (the Benny Hill song) during 0 level adventures. :lol:
So true. I may make a player roll out a Jackie Wright character so people can slap his bald head.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Karaptis wrote:
jeff wrote:I think Judges should play "Yakety Sax" (the Benny Hill song) during 0 level adventures. :lol:
So true. I may make a player roll out a Jackie Wright character so people can slap his bald head.
Please make the image now in my head of Hill's Angels transmogrifying into horrible harpies and worse go away...!

...though that could be a fun encounter to spring on a group... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

And at the end of the adventure make everyone under the effect of a haste spell!
bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bigironvault »

Even when the funnel is over I still give each player 0-level characters if they "find" them in the game. So there's always a bunch of cannon-fodder. It also doesn't make me feel too bad when I kill off a few level 1's here and there. :twisted:
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Even when the funnel is over I still give each player 0-level characters if they "find" them in the game. So there's always a bunch of cannon-fodder. It also doesn't make me feel too bad when I kill off a Yfew level 1's here and there.

Yes. I agree with BigIron but have taken it a step further.

Make the funnel ongoing.
Frees the DM for killing. Frees the players to keep loving the funnel. . No reason to destroy the love of zero when it is so easily amended.

I would also add : never run a game without zero levels in the mix. Make them dogs if you have to., but definitely include "finding" in every adventure. Maybe let the new zeros get the dead adventurers stuff and add some post-history as to why that adventurer's death meant so much to them. Brother? Friend? Mentor? Idol? Enemy?Lover? I can imagine a spell book having a longer history than it's owners.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

I love this idea so much I'm going to do it.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Doug Kovacs wrote:
Make the funnel ongoing.
Frees the DM for killing. Frees the players to keep loving the funnel.

I can imagine a spell book having a longer history than it's owners.
+1 for for having an ongoing funnel.
Nice idea to retain a fallen character's spellbook too, to be taken up by an upcoming 0 level character.

Return to “DCC RPG General”