You can't fake sincerity.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ghostisluminous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

You can't fake sincerity.

Post by ghostisluminous »

It occurred to me that I usually hate anything "Retro", but DCCRPG is a TOTAL exception. I Love it. It seems that whenever anyone does anything "Retro" it has this Hip, Ironic quality to it that for me, is very off putting. For some reason, a lot of Tongue- in- Cheek is a prerequisite on any "Retro" project, whether it's a Game, or a Movie, or a CD. Like it's more about making fun of the past, as opposed to Honoring it.

DCCRPG is completely without this. There IS a lot of Humor involved, but it's never at the expense of Gaming culture, it's a celebration of it. Getting all the inside references in the text and the Art is part of what makes it feel "old". You feel like an "insider" to something really cool, just like when you discovered Gaming. You can tell it was made by people who really love this stuff as much as you do, not by people who just want to make a Buck off of how much you love it.

Kudo's to all at G.G for being one of the VERY few who get it right.Well played, Folks!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: You can't fake sincerity.

Post by tovokas »

I agree. Nicely put. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

+1
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

ghostisluminous wrote:You can tell it was made by people who really love this stuff as much as you do, not by people who just want to make a Buck off of how much you love it.
Well said. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Well said old chap!

DCC stands out from the pack for me as it has a very different feel than systems which just follow the AD&D/BECM rule-sets too closely.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I agree 100%
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

Heck yeah! I did my research when looking for a replacement game when I sold off my d20/3.5/Pathfinder collection. Was looking for something oldschool, Hackmaster wasn't it exactly, Osric was more or less the same. When I read about DCC I got excited again about a game and when I got my grubby hands on the corebook and read through it, it was right on the money on what I was looking for.
A great big KUDOS to Goodman Games for getting it right.

Svaragog
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

It's the truth. This game is a huge breath of fresh air. It takes me back a lot of years and at the same time brings something new and different to the table. Half my group are guys that put 3.x behind them. Now I get to say to them, "this is what the Game felt like when I started playing."
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
Scribble
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Scribble »

Count Zero wrote: "this is what the Game felt like when I started playing."
I have to completely agree with this... Reading this game took me way back. That weird slightly trippy dream like feeling the older rules had. My imagination immediately started going wild.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The quality of the modules is really spectacular, too, I have to say. While they preserve the old school feel and atmosphere, they do not preserve the old school problems of linearity or reliance on Gygaxian impassable traps (the old "corridor of fire" there's no way around).

I may be committing sacrilege with that last statement, but seriously, EX-1 and 2 (in particular) really annoyed the hell out of me with that stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

beermotor wrote:I may be committing sacrilege with that last statement, but seriously, EX-1 and 2 (in particular) really annoyed the hell out of me with that stuff.
It's a style thing, like comparing Tolkien to Leiber.

Gary loved traps and to find ways to trick players, no doubt about that. Harley and Jospeh are more into "atmosphere" modules. Both styles of adventure can be fun.

If I had to pick one since "best ever dungeon designer" it would have to be Gary Gygax. Just look at the top AD&D modules of all time and his name is the byline for most of them. (The G-series, the D-series, Tomb of Horrors, the list goes on and on.)

Having said all that, the DCC modules are a close second place (to me, at least). And that's not bad! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”