Hound of Hirot questions ( spoilers obviously)

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Hound of Hirot questions ( spoilers obviously)

Post by Blustar »

The first module went great and about 8 or 9 PC's made it so it's perfect for the next module. I read through PotP and it looks a little too much for now so I thought I 'd try Doom first.

Anyways, after reading the module I'm a little confused as to the Hounds abilities. It states under SP that the Hound has gaseous form and demon traits. Is the Hound always in gaseous form or only when it gets reduced to 0 hp and disovles into mist? Is the hound a corporeal creature or a shade ( or shadow ) or elemental? How do I describe it? I mean there's not a description of what it actually looks like and I can't tell what it is . (yet)

As to it's Demon traits, do I check the chart on page 401 and give it the Type 1 demon traits? Speech( infernal, common), Infravision, darkness +4 check, half damage from non-magical weapons and fire. is it a demon? Can it be turned?

If the Hound is always a gaseous form, what effect does this have on combat? I couldn't find a monster in the book who had gaseous form or any mention of it in the rulebook. I checked the 3.5 stats and it a magic weapon or it has DR / 10 magic, which is way to strong. The module states that it can be harmed by natural weapons but to what extent?

Thanks for any answers. . .
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Hound of Hirot questions ( spoilers obviously)

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am running this right now. I assumed that the gaseous form applied when reduced to 0 hp.

I gave the Hound Type I demon traits, and assume that, yes, it might actually be Turned by clerics whose deities would find it Unholy.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

OMG , epic fail! I just looked at the cover to the module and there it is!!! Still would like to know if it's and can be turned and which demon traits it has.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

I would assume those of demon Type I p. 401 ??
Colin

Post by Colin »

If you look at the Demon Stats by Range table (page 404), you'll also note that its stats place it squarely within Type I, and its stats also compare nicely to the example Type I demons too. No guesses for what Demon Type it is then.

We know that a Type I demon. Some clerics can Turn demons. Obvious answer is obvious. ;)

The module describes in the text on page 2, not far above the first instance of its stat block, how it assumes gaseous form (...oily black mist...) at 0 HP to flee and reform at its lair.

cheers!
Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

sheriffharry wrote:I would assume those of demon Type I p. 401 ??
Bingo!

Colin
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

I thought it could be either type one or two based on its amount of HD (I thought a 4 HD monster was boarder lined between type I and II). I went with type one just because I thought the ability to resist all non-magical damage might be too tough for the party.

I think it says some where that the hound turns into black rolling mist and is able to use this ability to get into the town and attack people despite the wooden palisade and posted guards. But maybe that is only in my mind :P

I think one of the rumors on the rumor table is that the demon cannot be turned, and it is indicated that the rumor is true, yet it does not say that in the monster stats. I went with that the monster can be turned, figuring that it is difficult for a level 1 cleric to turn the 4 hd creature, making the rumor only partly false (lucky cleric in my party rolled a nat 20 and turned it the first time they saw it...)

Love this adventure by they way!
Colin

Post by Colin »

moes1980 wrote:I think one of the rumors on the rumor table is that the demon cannot be turned, and it is indicated that the rumor is true, yet it does not say that in the monster stats. I went with that the monster can be turned, figuring that it is difficult for a level 1 cleric to turn the 4 hd creature, making the rumor only partly false (lucky cleric in my party rolled a nat 20 and turned it the first time they saw it...)
Ooh, good catch! I'd missed that myself, but yeah, it should've been mentioned in the Hound's stat block.

Colin
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Colin wrote:
moes1980 wrote:I think one of the rumors on the rumor table is that the demon cannot be turned, and it is indicated that the rumor is true, yet it does not say that in the monster stats. I went with that the monster can be turned, figuring that it is difficult for a level 1 cleric to turn the 4 hd creature, making the rumor only partly false (lucky cleric in my party rolled a nat 20 and turned it the first time they saw it...)
Ooh, good catch! I'd missed that myself, but yeah, it should've been mentioned in the Hound's stat block.

Colin
Yeah, there are a few inconsitancies in modules here and there but I find they generally don't matter that much. For the turn check specifically, I was still wondering how I was going to rule on it right as the player rolled the check. When she rolled a nat 20 I just couldn't bear to respond with "sorry, the hound is immune." It was pretty cool too, basically, the party hid, waiting for the hound to show up and enjoy the sacrafice, and tried to ambush it with ranged weapons. The weapons had little effect, and just before the hound pounced on the sacrafice the cleric ran up and rolled the nat 20 turn check, and chased off the demon.
The rescued girl then spread rumors all over town of the great faith of the cleric and how the demon would not bother any one any more. Of course, it was a different story when dawn came and the town discovered another family butchered within the walls of Hirot...

IMHO, DCCRPG is the most fun RPG I have played in a long time.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”