DCC RPG genre expansion

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

DCC RPG genre expansion

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I have been reading the rulebook over the last 3 or 4 days and I keep getting the feeling that these rules would be a great match for a game similar to Gamma World. Specifically, I keep coming back to the old Hannah-Barbara cartoon Thundar the Barbarian. I am in the middle of the summer semester or I would dive right in & see where it leads. I may still post about some ideas in my blog.

Anybody else get the same impression? What other genres or settings would you like to get the DCC treatment?
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: DCC RPG genre expansion

Post by TheNobleDrake »

That's not expansion of the genre - that just is the genre!

Me, I am seeing what happens when I blend the styles of Stephen King's Dark Tower series with some Final Fantasy, and toss the whole mix against a backdrop similar to Conan, Korgoth of Barbaria, or maybe even some of the stories from Heavy Metal magazine/movie (specifically stories like Den of Earth).
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

TheNobleDrake wrote:That's not expansion of the genre - that just is the genre!

Me, I am seeing what happens when I blend the styles of Stephen King's Dark Tower series with some Final Fantasy, and toss the whole mix against a backdrop similar to Conan, Korgoth of Barbaria, or maybe even some of the stories from Heavy Metal magazine/movie (specifically stories like Den of Earth).
I posted in haste to get the idea out but I see your point. 8) Your idea sounds pretty awesome.
Charlie

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I keep getting the feeling that these rules would be a great match for a game similar to Gamma World. Specifically, I keep coming back to the old Hannah-Barbara cartoon Thundar the Barbarian.
I think that DCC would make a great Gamma World style setting, particularly if it was more dark and less gonzo. (Althogh the Heroic Deeds helps take care of come of the gonzo stuff.) Of course, I'm biased and prefer my Gamma World to be more dark and less gonzo as well. :lol:

I'd like to see Pirates of the Caribbean done for DCC. Lots of cinematic action, but an undercurrent of dark sorcrey that animates the dead or does voodoo magic and so on.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Anything that's fantastic is fair game in my book. I just picked up some old RIFTS books, and I hope to get some good ideas from them.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I've been thinking about trying it with a Flash Gordon-esque sci fi setting.

Or maybe more Barbarella than Flash Gordon. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

mythfish wrote:I've been thinking about trying it with a Flash Gordon-esque sci fi setting.

Buster Carbbe and Jane Fonda save the Universe from a winged 80's Pop Band lead by Brain Blessed... :mrgreen: Sign me up.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

My main campaign world (which is pretty close to a Gamma World/Thundarr kinda thing, sort of) inspirations, in no particular order:

Galactic Prisoners (old PBM game)
Dwarf Fortress (particularly for economics, materials)
REAL LIFE (religion derivatives, ethnic differences, morality/ethics ideas)
NetHack (secret reasons!)
Lovecraft (obvious)
the DCC book itself
A Canticle for Liebowitz
Blood Meridian
Stephen King (The Stand, The Dark Tower series)
Riddley Walker

There's probably more but I guess that's enough.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I'm currently running a "Planar-Pirate" game where all of the PCs have been horribly mutated. If fits with absolutely no problems at all.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

finarvyn wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I keep getting the feeling that these rules would be a great match for a game similar to Gamma World. Specifically, I keep coming back to the old Hannah-Barbara cartoon Thundar the Barbarian.
I think that DCC would make a great Gamma World style setting, particularly if it was more dark and less gonzo. (Althogh the Heroic Deeds helps take care of come of the gonzo stuff.) Of course, I'm biased and prefer my Gamma World to be more dark and less gonzo as well. :lol:

I'd like to see Pirates of the Caribbean done for DCC. Lots of cinematic action, but an undercurrent of dark sorcrey that animates the dead or does voodoo magic and so on.
I absolutely agree with your remarks about Gamma World - give me gritty, dark, and serious over gonzo any day. Your idea for a Pirates of the Caribbean campaign sounds very interesting!
Charlie

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Aplus wrote:Anything that's fantastic is fair game in my book. I just picked up some old RIFTS books, and I hope to get some good ideas from them.
Hmmm....I have a few RIFTS books and that just may be the place to look for inspiration. :)
Charlie

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

mythfish wrote:I've been thinking about trying it with a Flash Gordon-esque sci fi setting.

That should be a great match for the system. Sounds like fun!
Charlie

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

beermotor wrote:My main campaign world (which is pretty close to a Gamma World/Thundarr kinda thing, sort of) inspirations, in no particular order:

Galactic Prisoners (old PBM game)
Dwarf Fortress (particularly for economics, materials)
REAL LIFE (religion derivatives, ethnic differences, morality/ethics ideas)
NetHack (secret reasons!)
Lovecraft (obvious)
the DCC book itself
A Canticle for Liebowitz
Blood Meridian
Stephen King (The Stand, The Dark Tower series)
Riddley Walker

There's probably more but I guess that's enough.
Sounds great! Just out of curiousity, how is A Canticle for Liebowitz? I've heard it recommended several times but never any details or reasons...
Charlie

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Vanguard wrote:I'm currently running a "Planar-Pirate" game where all of the PCs have been horribly mutated. If fits with absolutely no problems at all.
Interesting. I made a quick stop by your blog and I like it - good stuff there! Orc writeup = thumbs up.
Charlie

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
Sounds great! Just out of curiousity, how is A Canticle for Liebowitz? I've heard it recommended several times but never any details or reasons...
Umm, it's awesome. Read it, you'll love it. Then read Riddley Walker. You'll love that too.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Vanguard wrote:I'm currently running a "Planar-Pirate" game where all of the PCs have been horribly mutated. If fits with absolutely no problems at all.
Interesting. I made a quick stop by your blog and I like it - good stuff there! Orc writeup = thumbs up.
Thanks for the kind words. To give some further description of my game, the party consists of:

-A Warrior with two heads, two right arms, and four tentacles

-A Halfling with skeletal hands, a lion's head, and ticking clock on his stomach

-A Wizard whose bottom half was transformed into a grasshopper and who has insect-like plates of armor

-A Dwarf with a dragon's head

-A Warrior with ram's horns, vampiric teeth, and skeletal wings

-A Cleric whose legs have been transformed into a snake's tail

To answer how this happened, they encountered an area of wild magic and began mutating. Later they were ferried onto a planar pirate ship and managed to escape and murder most of the crew. Since then they have crash landed on Bogububilz plane after losing a cannon battle, enslaved a Lizardman village as their crew, and murdered a dragon on the Iron Plane. Rey are level 2.

Also, if you liked my Orc, wait until you see this Necromancer build I'm working on.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:Sounds great! Just out of curiousity, how is A Canticle for Liebowitz? I've heard it recommended several times but never any details or reasons...
A Canticle for Liebowitz is a great read, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Jim Skach wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:Sounds great! Just out of curiousity, how is A Canticle for Liebowitz? I've heard it recommended several times but never any details or reasons...
A Canticle for Liebowitz is a great read, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
I concur. Just finished it myself not that long ago. Good post-apocalyptic stuff, though not something that would immediately strike me as good DCC RPG inspiration.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I plan to play the game in a gritty fantasy style in a world (where, a vale, really, where the action will occur) where magic is not well seen that is centered however on a few key people having dealt with a demon or an angel (now fallen) and where the land is plagued by different catastrophies resulting from bad deals with the demon. Among the thing I most like about the game is how central dealing with patrons or any powerful being can become. In the case of my upcoming (probably short) campaign, I've opted to focus on this aspect over the rest. If PCs end up bonding with patrons too, I'll have to decide what patrons they deal with and what their relationship is with the main antagonists of the story. My storyline is pretty much set up to the point where the campaign starts; after that it's open field, we'll see where the players lead me.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:I'd like to see Pirates of the Caribbean done for DCC. Lots of cinematic action, but an undercurrent of dark sorcrey that animates the dead or does voodoo magic and so on.
Your idea for a Pirates of the Caribbean campaign sounds very interesting!
I'm a little biased on this because when I ran a PotC game using C&C years ago I decided to put in a magical twist and had spells only summon demons who could then do the spell. (Sort of like in the Sorcerer RPG.) The thing was that you had to negotiate with the demon to do the magic for you, and it usually had a cost like a vial of blood.

Looking back, it had a similar feel as the rules for corruption. That's part of why I think that DCC would be good for a PotC game.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Bhodili
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Bhodili »

I can't speak as to the fun of the older versions of gamma world, but my group uses the new one based on 4th edition as a release valve for whatever campaigns we are playing. It makes a great break every other month or so to just go nutz. As for my DCC campaign it is very heavliy influenced by the first final fantasy game, including custom classes based on those, as well as an apocalyptic Steam Power vs. Magic vibe ala Arcanum.
ghostisluminous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ghostisluminous »

I would Love to see a Sci - Fi "Sister Game" to DCCRPG. As a Kid, I was fascinated by the first edition of Gamma World just like I was with D&D. Goodman Has More than proven they "get it", their products are fantastic. A Sci-Fi game that nails the Retro feel like DCCRPG does would be Brilliant. :D
BattleBrotherBob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BattleBrotherBob »

I agree that DCC would do well if they applied this concept to GW, MA. IN fact im may tweak it for MA on my own, always prefered that "world" to GW.

ALso liking the Thindarr route. ONe of the last good Saturday morning cartoons, IMHO. Perhaps because of timing, I was entering high school and playing a ton of AD&D, is the reason it still reasonates with me. Would like to find more info about that world, hard to do since it was never liscenced for RPG use, and is only on occasionally on on Cartoon Network.
Traveller player since 1978
AD&D player since 1978

Guess that just makes me a Grognard.

"Every movie can use more Bobba Fetts." Kevin Smith- Comic Book Men
AJClark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by AJClark »

BattleBrotherBob wrote: Would like to find more info about that world, hard to do since it was never liscenced for RPG use, and is only on occasionally on on Cartoon Network.
Check out http://www.rpglibrary.org/settings/thundarr/, a Thundarr RPG, or the Thundarr web site http://www.thundarr.com/

The mechanics of the RPG look a bit dodgy, but the World section has a lot of great information.
BattleBrotherBob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BattleBrotherBob »

Thanks for the heads up, ill definatly look into those.
Traveller player since 1978
AD&D player since 1978

Guess that just makes me a Grognard.

"Every movie can use more Bobba Fetts." Kevin Smith- Comic Book Men

Return to “DCC RPG General”