Funky dice in other RPGs

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Funky dice in other RPGs

Post by finarvyn »

Just to show that DCC doesn't have the corner of the market on "funky dice" there's a thread on the WotC boards where a guy is complaining that the 5E "advantage / disadvantage" system is unfair to players who need two d20's in their polyhedral dice set. :shock:

He's suggesting that WotC needs to sell special polyhedral sets with two d20's in them in the future.

Really? And we thought we had problem finding funky dice! :lol:

If you're not familliar with the proposed "advantage / disadvantage" rule is that if a character has the advantage he rolls 2d20 and keeps the better one, but if he's at a disadvantage he rolls 2d20 and keeps the worst one.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Funky dice in other RPGs

Post by IronWolf »

Heh! That is pretty funny!
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

One in every crowd....
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

That guy sucks.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

What an idiot. LOL! I dropped D&D lik a bad habit when they moved on to 4E. If I want a D&D "fix" these days, I just run Pathfinder. Paizo found the sweet spot! :D
BattleBrotherBob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BattleBrotherBob »

He sounds like a total newbie. What long time player does not have bags of dice? I have not played regularly in 5 years and I still have a large bag of dice and was always looking at getting more "cool" lokking one. Give him a couple a years and it will be a choice of "what 2 D20 do I need, my lucky ones or the ones that are running hot today"
Traveller player since 1978
AD&D player since 1978

Guess that just makes me a Grognard.

"Every movie can use more Bobba Fetts." Kevin Smith- Comic Book Men
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

BattleBrotherBob wrote:He sounds like a total newbie. What long time player does not have bags of dice?
I'll admit that threw me as well. Special dice sets for an extra d20? Really?

I don't mean to pick on the guy, but if needing two d20's to play is the biggest complaint you have with a game system then it must be a pretty darned good game system!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I am sad that this thread wasn't about the uses of a few funky dice found here and there in HackMaster...

Not as sad as the actual topic of this thread would be were he to have been around in the early days of table-top RPGs where you not only "needed" that die to play but it didn't even exist yet.

...or if he'd have been around in some of the towns I lived in where you had to dig through bins in the back of an educational supply store in order to find any dice you couldn't have stolen from Yahtzee because there was no local game store and no such thing as Amazon.com.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

(For TND)

I still have some d16s that were included w/ Metascape, an old SF RPG. They're pretty much useless for DCC RPG, though, because they're not numbered (consecutively) 1-16.

The free rpg The Window made use of the d30, and I used to tinker with it by adding in the d16, d24, etc.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Back in the 1980's a group called the Armory put out some books on how to use the d30 in an adventure.

I can't recall offhand if this is the only book they did or not. I have this vague sense that they did a couple.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Some of The Armory's black gaming table books were packaged with a d30 die included.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

TheNobleDrake wrote:...or if he'd have been around in some of the towns I lived in where you had to dig through bins in the back of an educational supply store in order to find any dice you couldn't have stolen from Yahtzee because there was no local game store and no such thing as Amazon.com.
...and then, even if you found the dodecahedron or the icosahedron, you had to figure out how to number it yourself...because they weren't dice, they were for math classes...
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Jim Skach wrote:
TheNobleDrake wrote:...or if he'd have been around in some of the towns I lived in where you had to dig through bins in the back of an educational supply store in order to find any dice you couldn't have stolen from Yahtzee because there was no local game store and no such thing as Amazon.com.
...and then, even if you found the dodecahedron or the icosahedron, you had to figure out how to number it yourself...because they weren't dice, they were for math classes...
Luckily I ended up finding a store that had actually started ordering dice from Chessex by the end of my patronage their - "properly" numbered dice are useful to math class to it turns out... and it finally allowed me to replace my ten-siders that were number x5 through x50 in increments of 5.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Okay, I laughed my ass off on the original post. That's ridiculous.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG General”