Emrikol Was Framed

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

damonjynx
Ill-Fated Peasant

Emrikol Was Framed

Post by damonjynx »

Is it just me, or does the cover and back page suggest an homage to Micheal Moorcock's tower of Voloidion Ghagnasdiak?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Emrikol Was Framed

Post by finarvyn »

I assume you mean the cover and back page of the core rulebook? (You posted this in the "modules" section so I wasn't sure if you meant the core rulebook or one of the modules.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

damonjynx wrote:Is it just me, or does the cover and back page suggest an homage to Micheal Moorcock's tower of Voloidion Ghagnasdiak?
I was trying to remember that reference, but it seems to have vanished from my memory........ :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
damonjynx wrote:Is it just me, or does the cover and back page suggest an homage to Micheal Moorcock's tower of Voloidion Ghagnasdiak?
I was trying to remember that reference, but it seems to have vanished from my memory........ :lol:
Cute. 8)

I had to look up the sorcerer and his name is acutally spelled "Voilodion Ghagnasdiak."
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

I have a group of players straining at the leash to have a go at 'Emirikol was Framed' and to join battle with the eponymous wizard himself!
All of them are familiar with the great illustration in the 1st ed DMG. I have a recollection of Emirikol appearing in a module sometime. 1st or 2nd ed AD&D sourcebook or module 'A Paladin in Hell'?
I am not sure if he was included in it as an antagonist but I think I remember him being statted out.

I would very much like to see it released soon! :)

EDIT: Adventure is for 2nd ed. Nice blog here with stats for the chaotic wizard himself:
http://apaladinincitadel.blogspot.co.uk ... aotic.html
At 24th level he is a major badass! I hope he is not so formidable in the DCC module!
damonjynx
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by damonjynx »

finarvyn wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:
Cute. 8)

I had to look up the sorcerer and his name is acutally spelled "Voilodion Ghagnasdiak."
I wasn't far off! And I meant the upcoming release of the module, "Emrikol Was Framed".

And actually is actually spelled actually, not "acutally" for those who actually care :lol:
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

The flying gorillas are in actuality a nod to "Planet of the Apes," one of the non-Appendix N (but it could have been if the original AN covered motion pictures) sources that was being batted around on the secret emails during the development of DCC. It was only after the adventure was finished that I remembered that Elric had tangled with winged apes in one tale. The "gorhellas" of "Emirikol" are a much different breed, however.

I did remember the Vanishing Tower from Moorcock, but the Shifting Tower is something else. It doesn't go anywhere, but as a bastion of Chaos it is...peculiar. You'll have to buy the adventure to see what I mean.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Flexi wrote:
EDIT: Adventure is for 2nd ed. Nice blog here with stats for the chaotic wizard himself:
http://apaladinincitadel.blogspot.co.uk ... aotic.html
At 24th level he is a major badass! I hope he is not so formidable in the DCC module!
I didn't know that Emirikol had been statted out previously when I wrote the adventure, having gone in different directions when that adventure was released. I got to approach Emirikol with no preconceived notions other than the Tramp illo. That gave me a great deal of freedom, and, for the record, I've still never read the adventure that he appears in. Any similarities are pure coincidence!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

michaelcurtis wrote:
The flying gorillas are in actuality a nod to "Planet of the Apes," one of the non-Appendix N (but it could have been if the original AN covered motion pictures) sources that was being batted around on the secret emails during the development of DCC. It was only after the adventure was finished that I remembered that Elric had tangled with winged apes in one tale. The "gorhellas" of "Emirikol" are a much different breed, however.

I did remember the Vanishing Tower from Moorcock, but the Shifting Tower is something else. It doesn't go anywhere, but as a bastion of Chaos it is...peculiar. You'll have to buy the adventure to see what I mean.
Huh.

I thought they were a nod to Gardiner Fox.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

michaelcurtis wrote:...flying gorillas are in actuality a nod to "Planet of the Apes"...
Oh, sure -- as if I wasn't already interested... :shock:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

michaelcurtis wrote: I didn't know that Emirikol had been statted out previously when I wrote the adventure, having gone in different directions when that adventure was released. I got to approach Emirikol with no preconceived notions other than the Tramp illo. That gave me a great deal of freedom, and, for the record, I've still never read the adventure that he appears in. Any similarities are pure coincidence!
Nice inspiration for the adventure Mike. I hope the adventure will be great.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”