outside the box

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

outside the box

Post by beermotor »

Couple thoughts from computer games:

Ultima (especially 5; 4/6 to a lesser extent)
DWARF FORTRESS
NetHack
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: outside the box

Post by finarvyn »

What about them? Are these campaign ideas?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Good places for ideas. Dwarf Fortress is pretty much the ultimate in procedural sandbox. It's also a good way to learn about how stuff gets made, why certain metals are better than others, etc. It's a cool low (really, no) magic fantasy setting. You could even use a screenprinted large map as a campaign world. (Not sure if you can print off the legends/history, but I think you can get to view it... so it should be printable as well. Huge, ready-made backstory if you ever wanted it or needed it.)

I really liked Ultima5's virtues system. I've always felt like there was something missing from the WAY people played fantasy RPGs. Ultima5 also squeezed an incredible amount of atmosphere out of very tight computing ability. The reagent system is kinda cool, too, I've always liked the free-form magic system. (Seems like spell components are always the first thing that gets chucked from D&D 3.x games, in my experience.)

NetHack is a great analog for "you're going to die. A lot. but it will be fun." DF has that as well.

Just some thoughts that I had, while I'm waiting on my book to arrive in the mail.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I've dreamed of a conversion of Darklands for a while. Great video game set in medieval Germany. Very sandbox and innovative in the RPG realm. High points are: Alchemist class (and a detailed alchemy system), Clerics that are similar to DCC wizards (saints are their "patrons"), great, what I call, campaign world control -- i.e. if you commit a crime in a city, that city (and possibly the greater area) has you tagged as wanted until you make amends; as well as a fairly complex reputation system that scales local, regional, national, solid economic system.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Might & Magic and Wizardry series for me, especially Might & Magic III-VIII and Wizardry 6-8.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Thought about DF some more, and decided to share what a procedurally generated map looks like, for those who aren't familiar with the game. It's pretty badass, goes through a long simulation of uplift and erosion to place mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts, glaciers, etc. You can also tweak all of the parameters at world gen, in case you want tons of volcanoes or something.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39712087/world ... -10081.bmp

[Edit: 19MB file, so it make take a bit to load...]

[Edit 2: forgot to add, this is a Huge map, so you could generate a smaller one if you wanted.]
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

beermotor wrote:

[Edit 2: forgot to add, this is a Huge map, so you could generate a smaller one if you wanted.]
Very cool. I must find this game.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

ragboy wrote:
beermotor wrote:

Very cool. I must find this game.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Word of warning: very steep learning curve, and it's kinda like looking at the Matrix for a bit until your eyes adjust to the ASCII graphics. Once they do, though, it's more immersive than any slick-graphics game I've ever played.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:...

DWARF FORTRESS
NetHack
Amen! Dwarf Fortress is something else. Its so many things I cannot communicate properly. I actually just fell into a DF hole yesterday. Fired it up for the first time in over a year.

Nethack is, of course, full of flavor.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

ragboy wrote:I've dreamed of a conversion of Darklands for a while. Great video game set in medieval Germany. Very sandbox and innovative in the RPG realm. High points are: Alchemist class (and a detailed alchemy system), Clerics that are similar to DCC wizards (saints are their "patrons"), great, what I call, campaign world control -- i.e. if you commit a crime in a city, that city (and possibly the greater area) has you tagged as wanted until you make amends; as well as a fairly complex reputation system that scales local, regional, national, solid economic system.
I remember that game. I had it. Can you even get it anymore? How do you remember the details of it?
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

cthulhudarren wrote: I remember that game. I had it. Can you even get it anymore? How do you remember the details of it?
*Poof* -- http://www.gog.com/gamecard/darklands

*Poof* -- http://www.eskimo.com/~mwirkk/dl/man/DL_man_TOC.htm

*BLAM!* -- http://www.darklands.net/

Like a thunderstorm.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

ragboy wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote: I remember that game. I had it. Can you even get it anymore? How do you remember the details of it?
*Poof* -- http://www.gog.com/gamecard/darklands

*Poof* -- http://www.eskimo.com/~mwirkk/dl/man/DL_man_TOC.htm

*BLAM!* -- http://www.darklands.net/

Like a thunderstorm.
Thank you ragboy. I should have googled. Heck, with all the support I'm surprised it isn't available for xbox360!
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

#rub
What would you like to rub?
j - lamp
"You see a puff of smoke"
:mrgreen:

Return to “Appendix N”