Can an invisible person/creature be attacked?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Can an invisible person/creature be attacked?

Post by bitflipr »

I could not find a specific rule in the DCC RPG book on whether invisible creatures can be attacked or whether a penalty is applied to attacking them (Table 4-1 only lists a bonus if the attacker is invisible). Perhaps a skill check involving detecting their approximate location and a minor penalty on the actual attack?
d(sqrt(-1))
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Can an invisible person/creature be attacked?

Post by d(sqrt(-1)) »

Does that table have a modifier for attacking if blinded/unable to see? I'd count it as that if so.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

The core philisophy of DCC is more "can" than "can't" so I would assume that you can attack someone who is invisible.

The rulebook is intentionally vague, promoting the concept that the GM should be able to make a ruling on things without having to look up a specific rules on it. That's why DCC is actually quite "rules lite" even though it appears thick and heavy.

Without actually checking the rulebook, I'd apply a -4 to hit or decrease the attacker's dice type by a couple of steps on the chain. Whatever feels "right" to you, go with it.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Circumstances will have a big impact on what the penalty should be, I'd think.

You could even handle a situation like this with a sliding scale -- as the players catch on to the actions of the invisible target, their penalty is lessened, round by round. And cool intuitive leaps make that happen even faster. Thus, they may start off with little to no chance of hitting an invisible foe, but get more accurate as they continue fighting, and if they play well...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Well my suspicions are confirmed. I would probably apply an Intelligence skill check and based on the result apply a 0, -1d, or -2d modifier accordingly.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If they can get the invisible creature to step into the Fountain of the Oracle of All Knowledge when fighting, that should help!

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

I'd say yes, but the player would have to close their eyes and the DM will walk around the room until the blinded player throws a d20 at him! :D
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

bitflipr wrote:I could not find a specific rule in the DCC RPG book on whether invisible creatures can be attacked or whether a penalty is applied to attacking them (Table 4-1 only lists a bonus if the attacker is invisible). Perhaps a skill check involving detecting their approximate location and a minor penalty on the actual attack?
There's some references to all attacks (vs. invisible creature) having a 50% chance of missing due to its invisibility (see the spell Invisible Companion pg 173-174); I'd go with that.
danbuter
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by danbuter »

Unfortunately, for players who are new to rpg's, DCC is going to be horrible. You almost need to have played at least one edition of older D&D to understand the game. Luckily, it works fine for me. I feel for newbies, though.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

danbuter wrote:Unfortunately, for players who are new to rpg's, DCC is going to be horrible. You almost need to have played at least one edition of older D&D to understand the game. Luckily, it works fine for me. I feel for newbies, though.
I want to agree, but I can't... I feel like, even though some games might be easier for a completely new gamer to pick up, DCC is actually still quite easy to learn.

...certainly no harder to pick up and get running with zero experience than the AD&D books I started with - I actually think it is easier because it is all in the one book, not 3.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

And, as always, having a GM that understands how to manage the table and new players is probably the biggest factor.

But I agree with NobleDrake, as long as players understand that common sense and a -4 to +4 mod (or dice shift) based on situation are the guiding principles, I think that the DCC RPG is an extraordinarily easy game to pick up.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Can't be worse than when I started back in the 80s, playing with only the D&D expert rules and practically unable to read English!
I played for years with twended ("two-handed") swords before understanding you needed your two hands to hold it...

Return to “Rules discussion”