PSG: The Crawler's Companion Kickstarter is live!

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: PSG: The Crawler's Companion Kickstarter is live!

Post by tovokas »

We're over 35% of the way there folks! If current pledge trend continue, we'll need about 50 more backers to get this off the ground. :) I'm keeping my eyes open for additional places to get the word out, and we've had some great links from a number of fine blogs. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to link to the Kickstarter.

I'd also like to point out that if you're a fan of our other utilities, such as the party and character generators, the equipment we'll be purchasing with the proceeds from the Kickstarter will help us test those and future utilities on more platforms/browsers. So even if you don't have a tablet at the moment (though the prices of many Android tablets are falling fast!), you'll still be seeing a benefit from your pledge. (And you'll get some fine adventures and swag, too!)

In the past week we've had more than 20,000 characters created through the Purple Sorcerer site, a significant portion of them from the U.K., France, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. It's thrilling to see excitement for the DCC RPG spread, and I look forward to continuing to create many more tools to help our community grow.

Thanks for your support!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by hawkwind »

perhaps you should put a link to the kickstarter on the pdf's of the character sheets generated by your web tools or get people to register with an email address before downloading any pdf's so you can send them a email about the kickstarter!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

hawkwind wrote:perhaps you should put a link to the kickstarter on the pdf's of the character sheets generated by your web tools or get people to register with an email address before downloading any pdf's so you can send them a email about the kickstarter!
That's thinking like a true backer! ;)

I have a link to the Kickstarter from the character create page, perhaps I could make it a bit more prominent... I want to keep the creation process as pleasant as possible. Now that I think about it, I could add a message to the create button rollover (Like when Hugh pops up when you try to create power characters). That wouldn't slow anybody down, but would be hard to miss. :)

Thanks Hawkwind.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I put a post up at The Iron Tavern to help draw some more attention to this one. Hopefully it results in some increased pledges!

http://irontavern.com/2012/06/18/dungeo ... kstarters/
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thanks Ironwolf, that's awesome! (And we've already had a new backer coming in from your link.)

2/3rds of the way there. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

It might ugly up the pages, but using the actual kickstarter widgets would probably be a good idea. As it is those buttons don't really stand out. (Though it looks like you guys are on track to get funded.)
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Good suggestion funkaoshi. I've added some Kickstarter graphics to the various links about the site.

(And, yes I'm thrilled with the participation so far: thanks to everyone who has backed us and has linked to the Kickstarter from your blogs and forum posts!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

I've added some fun new reward levels to the Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475 ... -all/posts

(And we're over 2/3rds of the way there. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

I am a D7 Deep One now!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

raskal wrote:I am a D7 Deep One now!
A much appreciated D7 Deep one. :)

Thanks for your support. (We've had great activity today - up to 85%!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Flurry of support today with the new backer levels. This project is now FUNDED!

Woot, let's blow past the goal now and get some nice stretch goals in place. Some ideas:

1. A way to roll a range of numbers as input by the GM (ie. if I want a table from 1-200 I can input that).
2. Magic Sword generator, Familiar generator or other tables from the book.
3. Maybe a way to input our custom spells or classes (or is that beyond the scope of this app?).
4. The Random Esoteric Creature Generator for DCC :)
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thanks so much Brandon!

Yes, keep the ideas coming. I want everyone that has backed the project to imagine something. ;)

The "coding/device format realities" will likely dictate what I choose to shoot for - but I'm sure some of the most popular ideas will end up as free utilities on the Purple Sorcerer website.

(And the way the program is setup, I definitely plan on pushing out spellbook/crit chart updates with added user content. It's not difficult to integrate any number of new spells on my end.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

I bit of a bleg here to all the Mac-using supporters: Now that the thrilling reality has arrived that I can start tracking down equipment for building things for iOS, are there any recommendations on which Macbook to get? I'm trying to go as thrifty as possible while still getting something that won't be a horror to do some secondary developing on. I'm assuming I'd want something from one or two generations back, perhaps refurbished? Do you have favorite sources where you would get such a thing? I'm really a babe in the woods when it comes to your shiny off-white world! ;)

Thanks for any recommendations!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by hawkwind »

Congratulations on funding the kickstarter project.

The featue I would like is some way of sharing your dice results, particularly the table critical results, with other users of the app either other a local wifi network or better still over the net!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I turn my back for 2 minutes and people go crazy. Did paychecks come in or something? :shock:

Regardless, great work, guys! I'm very excited to see the Crawler on an ipad!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

bholmes4 wrote:Flurry of support today with the new backer levels. This project is now FUNDED!

2. Magic Sword generator, Familiar generator or other tables from the book.
Ooh... this and the dragon generator. Shiny!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Harley Stroh wrote: Ooh... this and the dragon generator. Shiny!

//H
Oops I meant to put that one in specifically as well.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

The new bonus stretch goals have been added to the Kickstarter page.

As I mention there, we've already exceeded my expectations, so anything extra we do is pure gravy!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by hawkwind »

Dam it I am going to have to increase my kick starter! pledge
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Well, that didn't take long. :)

We've blown by Level 2 so I'll be adding random generators for swords, dragons, and demons to the Crawler!

I've also included an 'add a t-shirt' option to all pledges of $50 or more. Just add $25 dollars for each t-shirt you want. (There might be an extra shipping charge if you live outside the US. Just contact me with your address and I'll find out the amount. For example, it's an extra $2.50 per shirt to ship to Canada.)

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support. If we get there, Level 3 brings a new mini-adventure and dice set.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

If you've ever used the Purple Sorcerer character generator please support this cause. Funding has kind of stagnated lately and I'd hate to think this won't reach the final goal. The utilities at Purple Sorcerer have seen a ton of use and it's been entirely free of charge. Things like this are a huge boost to our community and it's time we showed our appreciation...
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

bholmes4 wrote:If you've ever used the Purple Sorcerer character generator please support this cause. Funding has kind of stagnated lately and I'd hate to think this won't reach the final goal. The utilities at Purple Sorcerer have seen a ton of use and it's been entirely free of charge. Things like this are a huge boost to our community and it's time we showed our appreciation...
Thanks! I'm thrilled by the level of support the project has received from the DCC community.

And yes, we have seen a major burst in use of the character generators... Lately about 4000 peasants a day have rolled off the line into a life of adventure, and I think that speaks well for the growing community! (And the upper level generator is starting to see lots of action)

(One final note: As the Kickstarter pledge total rises, I'm contemplating investing in some more robust hosting for the DCC tools. Last week we had a morning when my hosting service was completely offline, and we've occasionally reached my hosting package's processor limit. Some of the new features of the crawler will have an online component as well, so the additional funds will make it possible to get a package that will help insure that the tools will stay speedy and available when you need them!)

Thanks everyone.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

With four days to go, another funding goal bites the dust! All backers will now be receiving a 2nd mini-adventure in September (The Predations of the Green Man... should be nice and scary!) and I'll be adding a new dice set to the Crawler. :)

Your generosity continues to amaze. Thank you!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I meant to ask before, what exactly is this dice set?
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

bholmes4 wrote:I meant to ask before, what exactly is this dice set?
You'll be able to change the look of all the dice that roll in the game from the default gold to a different colored set. When we wrap things up I think I'll create a poll for folks to vote on the new color. (And once the code/selection screen is in place to select a new dice color, it won't be difficult to add additional colors in the future.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”