Modules For the actual DCC RPG

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Modules For the actual DCC RPG

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I just purchased the DCC Corebook and I have to say, I am really loving this game. It captures the old school feel better than any other retro game on the market, short of running OD&D with the Rules Cyclopedia.

Anyway, on to my question. I've noticed there are a lot of modules available for purchase. Are they all compatible with the new Corebook? I realize that most of the modules were published before the Corebook that was released this year. Also, will future modules that are released be explicitly for the DCC Corebook?

Thanks,
Evil G.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Modules For the actual DCC RPG

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Modules number 66.5 and onward are fully compatible with the DCC RPG rules.

Modules going backward in number from 66 to 53 you have modules built for the 4e D&D rules, and 52 back are 3.5 D&D rules - both could be pretty easily converted for use with DCC, and I am actually doing just that for one of my current DCC campaigns.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

All of the adventures with links under "Coming in 2012: DCC RPG" on the Goodman Games homepage are written specifically for the DCC RPG. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Goodman Games also released 4 adventures for 1st Edition Rules ... you can use the Adventure Finder on the Goodman Games homepage or go to this link:
http://www.goodman-games.com/1e.html
And if you make another post you'll get a title. :D
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

And DCC 2, 5, 6, 7, and 51.5 were converted to 1st Edition by fans. The conversions are posted at:
http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-resources.html
You can still get most of the older DCC modules in print at game stores on-line or EBAY at a good price or e-files at the major e-tailers.
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. I have to say, I'm really loving DCC. It's a nice and refreshing change of pace from 3.X!
I look forward to being a part of this community. :D
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Well you are now an "ill fated peasant" and have successfully eluded the SPAM police (they crush the new posters) ... just don't try selling us a BMW or anything ... and enjoy the game!
Silenttimo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Silenttimo »

Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions :

- has anybody converted "old" adventures (from D&D BECMI / AD&D1 or what else ; from Dungeon pages...) ?
If so, I'd be very interested to know which ones, and have a "share" if I actually own the adventure !

- Has any european player received his first pre-ordered DCC adventures ?

Thanks in advance.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

zombiekiller wrote:Well you are now an "ill fated peasant" and have successfully eluded the SPAM police (they crush the new posters) ... just don't try selling us a BMW or anything ... and enjoy the game!
As a member of the SPAM police, I can tell you that no one "eludes" us. Sometimes we allow them to sneak in just so that we can punish them in public, thus sending fear amongst our citizens. Fear keeps the peasants in line. Fear of this Battlestation! (Sorry ... Star Wars flashback.)

Also, it's not BMWs that they're selling; mostly fake purses and fake sports jerseys.

Oh, and do enjoy the game. It grows on you! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Fear not fellow DCC Forumites! I assure you I am not selling anything. I am however, buying things. And those things are the awesome products for DCC! I am really loving this game. :D My wife never played anything other than 3.X, so I am getting her into this game. She's really digging the old school feel as well.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Silenttimo wrote:has anybody converted "old" adventures (from D&D BECMI / AD&D1 or what else ; from Dungeon pages...) ?
If so, I'd be very interested to know which ones, and have a "share" if I actually own the adventure !
I am, slowly but surely, working on adaptation of a list of modules. I say adaptation instead of conversion because I am taking the idea behind the module (the plot seed) and keeping that... but no map or encounter is safe from whole-sale change to better fit the style of DCC.

The best example of what I mean by that is this: if a module is stocked full of bugbears originally, I will replace every last one of them with something else more mysterious... even if they might have similar stats.

The aforementioned list, in the order I plan to finish adaptation:
T1-4 - The Temple of Elemental Evil
A1-4 - Scourge of the Slave Lords (I will probably use the 4 modules of the A series instead of the one book already compiling them)
GDQ1-7 - Queen of Spiders

In total, that's actually 15 separate modules, and I plan on doing the adaptations as such (including separating out T2-4 which were only ever released as a compilation).

I might add more to the list... BECM modules seem particularly "ready" for such adaption, and I have always had a soft spot for The Apocalypse Stone.
Silenttimo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Silenttimo »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
Silenttimo wrote:has anybody converted "old" adventures (from D&D BECMI / AD&D1 or what else ; from Dungeon pages...) ?
I am, slowly but surely, working on adaptation of a list of modules.

A1-4 - Scourge of the Slave Lords (I will probably use the 4 modules of the A series instead of the one book already compiling them)

I might add more to the list... BECM modules seem particularly "ready" for such adaption, and I have always had a soft spot for The Apocalypse Stone.
If you were to compleat those adaptations, I'd be VERY interested in :

- T1 : village of Hommlet (played once again the castle part as a player with PF-RPG recently) ;
- A1 - A4 (I own both the mega module A1-A4, and each separate adventure) ;

I do own T1-4 and GDQ1-7, but I think they are not that appropriate for DCC RPG (maybe "N1 : against the cult of the reptile god" would be fine, as well as the Saltmash trilogy U1-U3). And I don't have "the apocalypse stone".

Some BECM modules (if I own them) are fine also.

If you were to have "word" or "pdf" conversion / adaptation notes (or even a scan copy of some handwritten notes), I REALLY would appreciate if you could share them with me (tried to send a PM, but I di'nt find how to do that ; maybe I need a minimum of messages on the forum before being able to send PMs !?).

Thanks !! :wink:
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Silenttimo wrote:If you were to have "word" or "pdf" conversion / adaptation notes (or even a scan copy of some handwritten notes), I REALLY would appreciate if you could share them with me
That's not the first time I have been asked for my adaption notes... and as I get closer to actually having something complete in the weeks or months it will take (since I barely spend any time working on future games while I still have months of material left for currently running games), I will be double checking with Mr. Goodman to make sure there is no breach of etiquette in my posting of links to the adaptation files here (well, probably the judge's forum specifically) on the forum.

The files themselves will likely be PDF sets (I separate maps from adventures so I can open both and view them side-by-side), and I actually prefer writing adventure notes in InDesign so export to PDF is actually my default.
Silenttimo wrote:(tried to send a PM, but I di'nt find how to do that ; maybe I need a minimum of messages on the forum before being able to send PMs !?).

Thanks !! :wink:
Yes, there is a 3 post limit before you can PM - but you have passed that now and should see the pm button on the bottom of every post.
Silenttimo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Silenttimo »

TheNobleDrake wrote:as I get closer to actually having something complete in the weeks or months it will take (since I barely spend any time working on future games while I still have months of material left for currently running games), I will be double checking with Mr. Goodman to make sure there is no breach of etiquette in my posting of links to the adaptation files here (well, probably the judge's forum specifically) on the forum.

The files themselves will likely be PDF sets (I separate maps from adventures so I can open both and view them side-by-side), and I actually prefer writing adventure notes in InDesign so export to PDF is actually my default.
Well, I guess that conversion / adptation notes (w/o the art, maps, description texts) would not offend legal content.

Something like : conversion notes for DCC of "T1, village of hommlet"

- Hommlet : building 1, butcher, lvl 0, str +1, pres -1, luck -1, AC 11, att d20+1 / dmg : 1d6+1, F +0 / R +0 / W -1, HP :3,
- building 2 : herbalist...
etc... (as you can see, I don't remember who lives in which house / building :D )

I think that if there is no TSR/WotC D&D / gygaxian reference, only the name of module and of village, there is no problem. Maps & description texts would be a problem, though (in France, anyway...).
However, Hommlet could be named Hamlet (does that hurt Mr; Shakespeare ?), Lareth named Lars, or whatever.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Silenttimo wrote:Well, I guess that conversion / adaptation notes (w/o the art, maps, description texts) would not offend legal content.

Something like : conversion notes for DCC of "T1, village of hommlet"

- Hommlet : building 1, butcher, lvl 0, str +1, pres -1, luck -1, AC 11, att d20+1 / dmg : 1d6+1, F +0 / R +0 / W -1, HP :3,
- building 2 : herbalist...
etc... (as you can see, I don't remember who lives in which house / building :D )
This is correct. As long as you are only providing fan conversions for the stats, traps and magic, that's fine. (And welcomed!) But please no maps, art or the like.

A good test is, "Can I run this adventure without owning the original?" If the answer is yes, then it's probably a step too far and shouldn't be posted.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I've been running old DCC mods straight, without any real conversion... sometimes using equivalent monsters from the DCC book, sometimes not.
drnate29
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by drnate29 »

I for one would love to see official Goodman Games conversions of the old Dungeon Crawl Classics modules. I know some feel comfortable just "winging it" or doing their own conversions but for me and maybe others its helpful to have a conversion done. Castle Whiterock would be a great place to start! I know I'd buy it.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Harley Stroh wrote: This is correct. As long as you are only providing fan conversions for the stats, traps and magic, that's fine. (And welcomed!) But please no maps, art or the like.

A good test is, "Can I run this adventure without owning the original?" If the answer is yes, then it's probably a step too far and shouldn't be posted.

//H
Thanks Harley, I will keep that in mind and be sure to keep my "real" notes to myself (derivative maps and the entirety of text written in-line because I hate having to flip back and forth between change notes and module at the table - basically resulting in a module based on/inspired by the original).

Posting just a list of changes will actually mean that my notes will be available sooner, as I nearly already completed the change notes for T1... just waiting until my brain feels like eyeballing some stats for the critters that replace those I've removed.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
I am, slowly but surely, working on adaptation of a list of modules. I say adaptation instead of conversion because I am taking the idea behind the module (the plot seed) and keeping that... but no map or encounter is safe from whole-sale change to better fit the style of DCC.

The best example of what I mean by that is this: if a module is stocked full of bugbears originally, I will replace every last one of them with something else more mysterious... even if they might have similar stats.

GDQ1-7 - Queen of Spiders

In total, that's actually 15 separate modules, and I plan on doing the adaptations as such (including separating out T2-4 which were only ever released as a compilation).

The problem with the old modules is, for the most part, they aren't particularly good. Kind of boring, in fact. Almost universally they're of the "move into a room, have an encounter, kill monster, search for treasure, rinse repeat." Occasional trap interspersed. Zzzz... and the story lines are pretty dull. I'm looking at you, A1-4... T1-4 is kind of interesting but some of the encounters were pretty stupid. It just all felt like a cobbled together mess, to me... this is probably because I was running it for 3.5.

In contrast, there are some really interesting and good AD&D modules that are pretty fun. UK series has a couple of great ones, and I loved L1-2.

What attracts me to DCC is that it's a reboot of the old school with (hopefully) new school fixes, especially as regards coherency and story line. I'm personally hoping a few of the newer published modules will replicate that old school feel without the old school weaknesses.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

beermotor wrote:The problem with the old modules is, for the most part, they aren't particularly good. Kind of boring, in fact. Almost universally they're of the "move into a room, have an encounter, kill monster, search for treasure, rinse repeat." Occasional trap interspersed. Zzzz... and the story lines are pretty dull.
Which is precisely why I am adapting instead of converting - I can use the same synopsis, spice up or at the very least streamline the whole thing, and throw in as much DCC jazz as I can fit.
beermotor wrote:T1-4 is kind of interesting but some of the encounters were pretty stupid. It just all felt like a cobbled together mess, to me... this is probably because I was running it for 3.5.
It tends to feel a bit cobbled together and messy in AD&D too, and suffers greatly from what I call NRHM syndrome (normal rooms, huge monsters) where you have to either run the adventure as written fully in a Theatre of the Mind style, or (at minimum) double the dimensions of any room in which monsters are faced so that there is actually room to maneuver. While I call it "huge monster" it is actually more common that it comes up in a room that is simply packed full of monsters - the best example I can give is 9 trolls in a building that is 30' x 30'

And while the plot of each individual section of the super-arc can be a bit shaky, the plot across the whole is better - and of course I get to tweak it all to high heaven while adapting to make it better.
beermotor wrote:What attracts me to DCC is that it's a reboot of the old school with (hopefully) new school fixes, especially as regards coherency and story line. I'm personally hoping a few of the newer published modules will replicate that old school feel without the old school weaknesses.
Coherency and story line are definitely made much more solid by the style that DCC encourages - it's easy to string unrelated episodes together and toss in the few bits needed to make those episodes, in hindsight, seem more related.

As for a reboot of the old school... I am more of the opinion that DCC is the epitome of new school, since despite mechanical similarities it is the first game to say "we don't have to do things the way they have always been done," and actually mean it.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

FWIW, when I was designing the monsters for Frawgs, I would take a look at similar monsters in the DCC RPG rulebook, and compare them to other similar monsters in the 1st Ed AD&D rulebook and/or OSRIC monster manual. How close were skeletons? Orcs? Kobolds? Owlbears? Did I want my own monsters to be about as tough, a little tougher?

I ended up creating an Excel grid of all the monsters I compared; similar to the grid that was published in the original DMG. It came in quite handy.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”