Crawl! articles test-drive - Ability-Based Occupations, etc.

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Crawl! articles test-drive - Ability-Based Occupations, etc.

Post by Colin »

Decided to test-drive my Crawl! Articles on character features (build, height, weight, hair and eye colour, distinguishing features) and expanded Occupations (including tables tied to Abilities, so if, f’rinstance, your highest score is Strength 14, you’d roll on the Strength-based Occupations table). Here’s the first entirely random character created using the DCC core rules and the Crawl! articles:

Name: Vos
Level: 0
Alignment: Neutral
Height: 5’ 8”, Weight: 148 lbs., Build: Average
Hair: Light Auburn, Eyes: Light Gray, Distinguishing Feature: Torn ear
Languages: Common
Birth Augur: Warrior’s Arm (shame he has no modifier here!)
STR 14 (+1)
AGI 11
STA 10
PER 7 (-1)
INT 10
LUCK 9
Hit Points: 3
AC: 11 (shield)
Weapon: Handaxe
Others Items: Shield, Small Sack
Wealth: 31cp

Vos is a wiry, surprisingly strong raider with a lust for wine, women, and wealth and an unfortunate disdain for anything approaching civilized manners. Gray-eyed and marred by a ruined right ear, he wears tatty wool trews and a dirty fur vest and carries a heavily-scarred handaxe and wooden shield, as well as a patchy old sack tucked into his belt.

It was pretty funny to end up rolling a stereotype, so would anyone like to roll another test-drive character with me? Roll the abilities up, 3d6 in order, and we'll go from there. :)

Colin
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Crawl! articles test-drive - Ability-Based Occupations,

Post by viruswithshoes »

Alright I'm game:

STR 8
AGI 8
STA 14 (+1)
PER 8
INT 10
LUCK 5 (-2) (ouch)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ouch! Okay:

Roll a percentile for your Occupation (we'll obviously be consulting the Stamina-based Occupations table). ;)
Roll a percentile for Hair Colour, a percentile for Eye Colour, and a d20 for a Distinguishing Feature (it'll be from the Negative Characteristics Table).
Roll 2d6-2 for Build.

I'll leave Height and Weight off until I get those results.

Colin
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by viruswithshoes »

Well some of these rolls are embarrassing but I will not fudge or re-roll!

1) Occupation (Stamina Based) 22%
2) Hair Color: 79%
3) Eye Color: 10%
4) Distinguishing Feature: 18
5) Build: 4
Colin

Post by Colin »

Weapon: Pitchfork (as spear)
Goods: Hen
Build: Slim (that'll reduce your final weight when it's rolled) - could be defined as skinny or scrawny.
Hair Colour: Medium Blonde
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Distinguishing Feature: Stutter

Okay, last bits of my articles: 2d6 for Height, and 2d10 for Weight.

Bear in mind, the Ht and Wt results I worked on were based on medieval norms, so characters are typically shorter and lighter than now.

Colin
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Sounds interesting. Will this be in the next issue?
Colin

Post by Colin »

bholmes4 wrote:Sounds interesting. Will this be in the next issue?
It's a trio of different articles ("Not Just A Pretty Face", "More Than Just A Pretty Face", and "From Dung to Dungeon" though the former two will probably be merged). Won't be the next issue, but two other articles I've done will be in #2. I can't tell you what the two articles are about yet as Dak hasn't revealed the contents of issue 2 generally.

I've done 11 articles for Crawl! so far, so there's a LOT more coming.

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

You can find out a bit more about the article I named "From Dung to Dungeon" in THIS thread.

Colin
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by viruswithshoes »

Colin wrote: Okay, last bits of my articles: 2d6 for Height, and 2d10 for Weight.
Height: 8
Weight: 14

This is shaping up to be quite a character, maybe I'll throw him into my player's initial starting town as an NPC.
Colin

Post by Colin »

viruswithshoes wrote:
Colin wrote: Okay, last bits of my articles: 2d6 for Height, and 2d10 for Weight.
Height: 8
Weight: 14

This is shaping up to be quite a character, maybe I'll throw him into my player's initial starting town as an NPC.
Height: 5'8" (average)
Weight (reduced due to Slim Build): 124 lbs.

Name, Birth Augur, HPs, etc. can all be rolled normally as in the DCC corebook.

Colin
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

This'll be fun. I've been digging Kensata's / Alex Schroeder's series of LL / 0e PC quick start packages (printing in various issues of Fight On!)

This looks similarly cool. I'm hopeful the entire article will appear in a single issue of Crawl, though. ;)
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

Seems cool but I like the really random official way better.

In my fantasy world most people are born into a trade regardless of natural skill. Your father made boots,your grandfather made boots and you will damn well make boots!! Doesn't matter that you are a great cook,make BOOTS!!

At least till the shadowmen come and burn down your village.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Different strokes and all that, but the basic concept isn't that characters have necessarily chosen an Occupation, but rather that Occupations strongly favour and force the development of certain key Abilities.

You may be naturally frail, but after relentlessly working on your father's farm like every one of your ancestors, your Stamina is incredibly unlikely to remain abysmally low. Doing your ancestral job when you're not naturally suited means you'll either die, be booted in disgust (you're no son of mine, you pathetic weakling!) leave (at which point you pursue an Occupation you're better able to deal with; which is what your Occupation roll would represent in such a case), or the job will mold you to suit it whether you want it to or not.

Just because your character's 3d6 roll for Stamina was 14, doesn't imply you chose to be a farmer; it simply implies that you have a high Stamina because either you were naturally tough or became tougher and fitter due to the hard work of farming. Similarly, having a high Intelligence, and rolling Scribe as an Occupation doesn't mean you automatically were a scribe like your father (though it's the most likely reason); you might have been part of a farming family, but you found farmwork untenable or had some other issue that resulted in you basically failing or fleeing from farming and becoming a scribe instead.

Besides, I can absolutely guarantee that even if you don't agree with what I've said above, you'll still enjoy the article. Why? Because it's written to please both folks who want Occupation to reflect Abilities *and* folks who just want a larger, expanded selection of completely random Occupations. Don't want to roll for Occupation based on high Ability? Roll 1d10 first: 1-2: Roll on Strength, 3-4: Roll on Agility, etc. It's actually there, already included as a note and option in the article. So, you really can use it either way.

Colin
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

This looks fantastic, Colin!

You've gone and made me subscribe to Crawl! :D

You up for another one?

If so:

Str 10
Agi 8
Sta 12
Per 9
Int 5
Luc 14
larsdangly
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by larsdangly »

I like the idea of stat based occupation tables; totally random is often funny, but it is easier to get your head around a character who has drifted into a walk of life he or she can actually do. That said, this system would probably not have given us a character like Samwell from Game of Thrones...
Colin

Post by Colin »

Tush Hog wrote:This looks fantastic, Colin!

You've gone and made me subscribe to Crawl! :D

You up for another one?

If so:

Str 10
Agi 8
Sta 12
Per 9
Int 5
Luc 14
Sure. It's another Stamina-based one, so we'll need:

1) d% for the Occupation
2) d% for Hair Colour, d% for Eye Colour, and d20 for a Distinguishing Feature (it'll be from the Neutral Characteristics Table).
3) 2d6 for Build.

I'll leave Height and Weight off until I get those results as before, just in case you roll a demi-human.

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

larsdangly wrote:I like the idea of stat based occupation tables; totally random is often funny, but it is easier to get your head around a character who has drifted into a walk of life he or she can actually do. That said, this system would probably not have given us a character like Samwell from Game of Thrones...
Even if you decide to stick with just rolling Occupation based on the highest ability, you can still end up with a character who's godawful at their job, but in that case it'd be because they were such a woefully inept individual they suck as everything. Like I said though, the article is specifically written to permit both Ability-based Occupation generation *and* totally random Occupation generation. The group simply chooses which approach they favour best. :)

Colin
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

Colin wrote:
Tush Hog wrote:
Str 10
Agi 8
Sta 12
Per 9
Int 5
Luc 14
Sure. It's another Stamina-based one, so we'll need:

1) d% for the Occupation
2) d% for Hair Colour, d% for Eye Colour, and d20 for a Distinguishing Feature (it'll be from the Neutral Characteristics Table).
3) 2d6 for Build.

I'll leave Height and Weight off until I get those results as before, just in case you roll a demi-human.

Colin
1. Occupation 85%
2. Hair color 76%, Eye color 27%, Distinguishing feature 4
3. Build 5
Colin

Post by Colin »

You have a Club (probably a rolling pin) and 1 lb. flour
Hair: Med. Blonde, Eyes; Lt. Brown
Build: Average
Height: 5' 10", Weight: 156 lbs.
Feature: Distinctive Birthmark