Free RPG Day

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Free RPG Day

Post by Dagonazrael »

Hi,

I am in the UK and no-one for miles around is participating in free RPG day. Apparently my local store got left off the list. So no free module for me :o(

However, I am even more disappointed that this seems to exclude me from the module design competition. Any way that part of the free rpg materials could be made more generally available please?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by finarvyn »

Last year, I'm pretty sure that Joseph made the FRPD module a $5 download on RPGNow or one of those other PDF sites. I was thinking it was a couple of weeks after FRPD.

My guess is that he'll do this again this year, and information about the module design competition is in the module, so it would be in the PDF.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

Marv is correct; Joseph mentioned that the Free RPG Day materials would be made available as downloads shortly after the events are over. My guess is for a small fee again.

Colin
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Dagonazrael wrote:I am in the UK and no-one for miles around is participating in free RPG day.
There are others who feel your pain. I live in the US, about 7 miles from a pretty major RPG store, and they refuse to sign up for / sponsor Free PG Day. It's pathetic.
Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dagonazrael »

Thanks all - for the info and for the sympathy!

I will look out for the PDF. Presume there is a fairly good stretch until the deadline?
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

I liked the module for Free RPG Day. ...and I am really excited about this contest.... but

I really don't think you could run that without the DCC RPG rulebook.
Which is kind of odd for a special event book but ... hey it's fun and ....

I had the rulebook when I ran it so ... a good time was had by all.

T
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Got a chance to actually meet Mr. Joseph Goodman at my FLGS (Game Kastle, in Santa Clara, CA). Super nice guy.

And, no, we did not coordinate wearing those orange shirts...

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Very cool. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

Which one of you bought the Potty Putter? :lol:
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Dagonazrael wrote:Thanks all - for the info and for the sympathy!

I will look out for the PDF. Presume there is a fairly good stretch until the deadline?
October 31.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Dagonazrael wrote:I am even more disappointed that this seems to exclude me from the module design competition. Any way that part of the free rpg materials could be made more generally available please?
I had a chat with Joseph and explained the problem. He gave me the "thumbs up" to post the rules online for folks who didn't have access to the module.

I created a thread on this here if you are interested.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Troy812 wrote: I really don't think you could run that without the DCC RPG rulebook.
Which is kind of odd for a special event book but ... hey it's fun and ....
Isn't this true of several of the free RPG day materials? I haven't seen Paizo's module this year for Free RPG Day, but the ones I have run would require the Pathfinder rule book to play. The module isn't really self contained.
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

I think it'd be easy to migrate a DCC RPG module for another game system. The stat blocks are similar enough to those from old editions of D&D for example. I got a 4th edition module as well, and it's certainly not going to be much use to someone who doesn't have the 4th edition rules. I mean, you can only fit so much in a 24 page booklet.

Free RPG day was good. I participated in Raven Crowking's adventure at Duelling Grounds in Toronto. We ran through the The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust, which was a fun. It was also my first time getting to actually play DCC RPG. I need to figure out how I can do that more frequently.
Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Outsiders68 »

Hi all if anyone has a spare copy and the sailors module I would like to offer a swap I have a ton of original dcc modules. I am uk based
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Dagonazrael wrote:I am in the UK and no-one for miles around is participating in free RPG day.
There are others who feel your pain. I live in the US, about 7 miles from a pretty major RPG store, and they refuse to sign up for / sponsor Free PG Day. It's pathetic.
I feel your pain too. This year was the first time my LGS signed up for Free RPG Day, after I've been petitioning them to get involved for the past three years. I went in again today to pick up some dice, and the store owner was mad at me, because turn out was low. He even went as far as to say, I shouldn't have pushed him into signing up. So needless to say, he said he's not doing it again next year. Sigh. I wish he had a competitor, but my town is small and he's the sole RPG store here.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

IronWolf wrote:
Troy812 wrote:I really don't think you could run that without the DCC RPG rulebook.
Isn't this true of several of the free RPG day materials? I haven't seen Paizo's module this year for Free RPG Day, but the ones I have run would require the Pathfinder rule book to play. The module isn't really self contained.
Yeah, this is an odd quirk in Free RPG Day materials. Many of them are quickstart games, which is kind of what the original intent was "back in the day" when they started a few years back (along with free dice or other stuff that didn't need a specific set of rules), but over time more and more of the freebies have been mini modules.

Some of the best non-DCC products I can recall are quickstart versions of Mongoose's Traveller, TLG's Castles & Crusades, and Flying Buffalo's Tunnels & Trolls. You could really crack open the booklet and actually play a module from scratch. Very well done. This year I saw a quickstart rules set for Shadowrun, but I think the rest of the freebies were modules rather than rules.

Last year's DCC "Adventure Starter" had at least some words of wisdom as to what makes the DCC RPG different from other games and some advice on how to play, but of course the Beta download was also free. This year's product, like most of the rest, was a couple of adventures.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
Dagonazrael wrote:they refuse to sign up for / sponsor Free PG Day. It's pathetic.
the store owner was mad at me, because turn out was low. He even went as far as to say, I shouldn't have pushed him into signing up. So needless to say, he said he's not doing it again next year.
The problem, of course, is that retailers have to buy the packet of stuff. What the customer sees as Free Stuff, the store owner sees as loss in profit.

What I did at my local store was:
(1) Run a demo of DCC to encourage folks to play and buy.
(2) Printed out a bunch of those reference packets to give out free to players of my demo, and I gave the rest to the store owner, suggeting he give one out free to anyone who buys a core rulebook.

That way, the store owner sees you as more of a partner rather than a person begging for him to buy you free stuff.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Booberry »

Any idea when this will be made available online? My local ran out before I could snag one.

I was bummed to miss out on it, but also quite happy that it was a popular item. :D Guardian Games (that's my FLGS) always does a rad job with their promotions.

Also, I gotta say I love the title "The Jeweler that Dealt in Stardust". Sounds like the name of a Henry Kuttner short story. Can't wait to read it—the name alone sets my brain on fire.

EDIT: question answered by Finarvyn in post #2. Duh.
danbuter
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by danbuter »

I lucked out. I got both the DCC module and the Harn map. (I have already bought the DCC specific mods, and so far, they are excellent).
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

Actually, I thought the Harn map would be great for DCC. But it could have just been the antidepressants talking. :wink:
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

Great picture...
It's nice to put a face on the most rocking' game...eveah!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Booberry wrote:question answered by Finarvyn in post #2. Duh.
No worries. I try to always stay a post or two faster than the competition. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”