Free RPG Day

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ShaggyCan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by ShaggyCan »

I love Le Valet d'Coeur! if only it was 650 km closer :) Why is Canada so HUGE?
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Just picked up my copy in Travelling Man, Newcastle - I like the competition idea and Harley's adventure looks mint on read-thru.
Sean Wills
Irishvince
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Irishvince »

ShaggyCan wrote:I love Le Valet d'Coeur! if only it was 650 km closer :) Why is Canada so HUGE?
If you got a decent computer and a webcam, I'm probably starting an open gaming concept Campaign of DCC in a month or so. I would love for you to jump in via Google + and if you ever roadtrip to Frenchy country I'm always happy to run or play in a game with fellow gamers.

P.s. Once i'm done with my campaign design, I will probably post an invite/summary on the forum in the appropriate section.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Got the Free RPG module today in Quebec City (No demo though, only lots of Magic players).
It looks marvellous!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I had a great time down at Game Kastle in Santa Clara, CA today. Thanks to Shane, Jason, and the rest of the staff, and everyone who came out! Stephen it was good to finally meet you in person.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

I ran the 3rd level adventure for the Free RPG Day giveaway in the store at 2d10 games in Ft Myers Florida today.
The people in the store loved it so much they bought a copy!

Thanks Goodman Games for making such a great game!!!!

T
CaptainTrips
Gongfarmer

Post by CaptainTrips »

l1wolf wrote:I am going to try and run the intro module at Boardwalk in Greenville SC at around 1pm and maybe again or a hight level mod at 5pm, if anyone knows some people in the area who want to try DCC out for the first time.
I used to live in Spartanburg, just north of Greenville, and Boardwalk was my favorite game store. I am glad to see they are still around. :)
sbaldrick
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by sbaldrick »

I ran the Stardust adventure at Dragons Keep in Provo UT this morning. The people that I played it with were a combination of people from my Pathfinder Game and people from my Castles and Crusades game. I haven't had a chance to really master the rules of DCC RPG so we played fairly fast and loose with the rules but everyone had a good time. It definitely had a different feel than either Pathfinder and Castles and Crusades and that was actually pretty cool. One of my more serious Pathfinder players said that DCC RPG had a real sense of fun that she didn't find with Pathfinder which is really how I felt too. I don't know if it will become a regular thing that any of my groups play on a regular basis but he certainly was viewed as a breath of fresh air.
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

my most consistent comment about the abilities of the wizard... "Oh wow... that's kinda dark! ... that's kinda cool."
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

My White Plume Mountain adventure was a lot of fun, and I think I sold a copy or three of the game. Spider Climb misfire resulted in the thief and hobbit walking on the ceiling for an hour, which made some things really interesting.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

I was able to pick up a copy of the DCC freebie - there were 3 left at the end of a long day (at Black Diamond Games). Everything else was cleaned out. I believe Aldo G from Impressions was able to make some restock runs, but could be mistaken. It does help to have a distributor local. ;)

Also, BDG had stocked up, and was running a 10% discount. When I arrived around 10 am:

Free RPG Day DDC Shelf

I was able to upgrade my edition to the Limited, thanks to discount and store credit.

I think BDG ran 2 - 3 games of DCC during Free RPG Day. I know there was one going on concurrently with my Conspiracy X game.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

My Free RPG Day was a good one. YottaQuest (in Cincinnati) really does a great job. They ordered 4 complete kits and ran something like 19 separate rpg and board game events from 9:30am until midnight.

Anyone could take one item, if you played in an event you got another, and if you ran an event you got two more*.

I signed up as a player for The Undulating Corruption (run by adminfoo) and ran The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust myself. It was a long day (9:30am-7:30pm) but completely worth it.

I played the Dwarf from the pregens in The Undulating Corruption. Dwarves are rapidly becoming my favorite DCC RPG class/race. Jim Wampler, who does the Marvin the Mage webcomic, played the corrupted Wizard. The other two players were new to DCC RPG, but seemed to really dig it. They particularly loved the crit and fumble tables.

I won’t spoil the adventure, but we were successful in slaying the monster (thanks to the Cleric rolling a natural 20 on his spell check for Bolt From The Blue (91 points of damage!) but the Wizard remained corrupted (actually more corrupted, due to rolling a 1 the first time he tried to cast a spell).

I had 4 players for The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust. Each one chose one of the official pregens and I randomly assigned them a 3rd level Thief generated using the indispensable Purple Sorcerer Upper Level Character Generator**.

Only one of the players (who chose the Cleric) had any prior experience w/ DCC RPG. Fortunately they all took to it like ducks to water. Mid-session two of the four went over to the register and bought dice on the spot even though I had brought 4 sets.

Again, no spoilers, but a good time appeared to be shared by all. Lots of spontaneous cheers and high fives.

Photos courtesy of YottaQuest

*I took an extra copy of the DCC adventures for my GF (she’s credited as a playtester for TJtDiS) and I got her a Q-Workshop D6.

**Seriously, in·dis·pen·sa·ble. if you haven't already backed his Kickstarter project, you really, really should.
tithian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tithian »

Picked up the freebie and it looks great!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Sounds (and looks) like great fun Rick! I'm glad you found the upper-level character generator useful. (And thanks for the shout-out about the Kickstarter. We're up to 65%!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Hey Rick. Any chance you have a pdf of that screen thats being used in the picture?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Hey Rick. Any chance you have a pdf of that screen thats being used in the picture?
1. Look for a post by Doug Kovacs or do a goodle search on Doug. In his signature, or in google, you can find his website. (Or just go directly to dougkovacs.com if you don't enjoy the hunt :P)
2. Look for "Dungeon Crawl Classics original art sale" and click. There are small pictures of Doug's art for sale, but if you click on them they enlarge. Copy the image into Word and print.

You're welcome. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

ShaggyCan wrote:
Karaptis wrote:The Buffalo NY area is such a void for good gaming unless you want to sit at a Magic table and smell everyone's armpits! :cry:
I was totally just going to post this!
Just for fun go type Buffalo NY into the FreeRPG day event map and take a look. Its a giant dead zone.
I live in St. Catharines, ON, which is just over the boarder.
My FLGS is doing nothing, and doesn't even have anything DCC. This whole area is blighted by the scourge that is Warhammer. :|
Rochester, NY, just a little over an hour away from Buffalo, is also in that dead zone. SOOO ANGRY. :evil:

(That, plus I had to work so wouldn't have been able to attend anyway.)
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Hey Rick. Any chance you have a pdf of that screen thats being used in the picture?
Marv pretty much spelled it out. I'd add that to really make the colors pop, laminate them. Yes, those customize-able screens such as the one I own have clear plastic sleeves but (for whatever reason) taking the extra step to laminate the images individually really makes 'em look good.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:to really make the colors pop, laminate them. Yes, those customize-able screens such as the one I own have clear plastic sleeves but (for whatever reason) taking the extra step to laminate the images individually really makes 'em look good.
Neat. I never thought of that! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I ended up running The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust from the FreeRPG day mod over Google+ Hangouts earlier this week for a group of five. We had a great time! I wrote up the experience on my blog (very slight spoilers for those that have not read it or played it):

The Iron Tavern - The Jeweler That Dealt In Stardust Report
Ancalagon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ancalagon »

I played in my first DCC session on June 30th and had a great time. I intend to run a DCC demo at my FLGS before year's end.
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

goodmangames wrote:I had a great time down at Game Kastle in Santa Clara, CA today. Thanks to Shane, Jason, and the rest of the staff, and everyone who came out! Stephen it was good to finally meet you in person.
I came by and had my limited edition foil signed by you! Thanks for taking the time to hang out with the fans! I apologize if I seemed very quiet - I don't usually get starstruck, but in that moment, I lost everything I wanted to say, and also didn't want to capitalize on all of your time. I did appreciate the free RPG day handout and the signature, though!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ancalagon wrote:I played in my first DCC session on June 30th and had a great time. I intend to run a DCC demo at my FLGS before year's end.
The game does grow on you, eh?

I find that folks start out intimidated by the rulebook size but then totally forget that stuff when play begins. Kind of like when I played Amber Diceless with Erick Wujcik, and after playing for a couple hours he asked folks what they thought about playing without dice -- folks were shocked that they had totally forgotten that they didn't have any. DCC does that, where you kind of expect complexity then you don't get any.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ancalagon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ancalagon »

finarvyn wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:I played in my first DCC session on June 30th and had a great time. I intend to run a DCC demo at my FLGS before year's end.
The game does grow on you, eh?

I find that folks start out intimidated by the rulebook size but then totally forget that stuff when play begins. Kind of like when I played Amber Diceless with Erick Wujcik, and after playing for a couple hours he asked folks what they thought about playing without dice -- folks were shocked that they had totally forgotten that they didn't have any. DCC does that, where you kind of expect complexity then you don't get any.
I ran four zero-levels with two surviving. Looks like my human cutpurse will opt for a career as a wizard since I really want to take the magic rules for a test drive. 8)
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I had to buy the "free adventure " on EBay, but still worth it.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Return to “DCC RPG General”