Will GG be at GenCon 2012?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Will GG be at GenCon 2012?

Post by bigironvault »

Hi everyone, I'm really stoked about DCC RPG. Wondering if GG will be at GenCon this year and if they will be selling the core rule book and/or the gold foil book + modules. I want to get them all but shipping is expensive for me. I'm driving down so will be able to buy a skid of stuff and plonk it in my trunk. :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Will GG be at GenCon 2012?

Post by finarvyn »

Joseph has already said that he is not going to GenCon this year. He's on an every-other-year rotation or so, based on family commitments and this is an off-year.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I would love to make it but the schedule just doesn't work this year.

However...

Harley will be there running DCC RPG games!

And Doug will have a booth in the art show!

Stop them both and tell them how much you like their work. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

I can't go but yes, Harley & Doug... I like your work :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Will any of the other artists be there?

EDIT: This is post #666 for me. :twisted:
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I enjoy GenCon but my biggest gripe is that you have to buy a full ticket to go shopping.

Usually I visit GenCon as a one-day hit-and-run from Chicago to Indy with my sister. We get up early in the AM, drive for 3 hours, wander the vendor area until she gets tired, then drive home late in the afternoon. Some years there is stuff I want, or stuff she wants. (She always got the new Order of the Stick book autographed, I like to hang out at the TLG booth and a few other places.) And for the privilage of going shopping we each end up buying a $50 ticket.

Don't get me wrong: there have been some great moments for me at GenCon. Meeting Gary Gygax a few times. Showing up to the Troll Lord booth and having them remember who I am; that was big. The year I bought so much Blackmoor stuff that the Zeitgeist Games guys gave me a free cloth carrybag to keep it in, which I still own. The year I bought one-of-everyting Colonial Gothic and Richard Iorio gave me some free dice. (Heck, getting to stand around and talk about the game with Richard was like gold.) The year I got to talk to John Wick for about an hour. Another year it was Ron Edwards. One time I got to hang out with Jim Ward and talk about Metamorphosis Alpha. I don't mean to name-drop, but you see the kind of thing that can make GenCon so special. (For me, that is. My sister mostly brings a book and sits in the corner reading.)

As cool as it is to go and see things, it often bothers me that we spend $100 (or whatever) plus gas to go shopping. I often think about what I could buy with my $100 instead.

Sorry ... rant over. :oops:

mythfish wrote:EDIT: This is post #666 for me. :twisted:
:lol: Pretty darned cool! :twisted:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

finarvyn wrote:I enjoy GenCon but my biggest gripe is that you have to buy a full ticket to go shopping.

Usually I visit GenCon as a one-day hit-and-run from Chicago to Indy with my sister. We get up early in the AM, drive for 3 hours, wander the vendor area until she gets tired, then drive home late in the afternoon. Some years there is stuff I want, or stuff she wants. (She always got the new Order of the Stick book autographed, I like to hang out at the TLG booth and a few other places.) And for the privilage of going shopping we each end up buying a $50 ticket.
Origins here in Columbus, OH has a nice family bracelet deal that lets me get the rest of the family in for $15 total. We can hit the exhibit hall and such with that instead of needing full day badges for people that are just coming to tour the exhibit hall. I really like that option for them. Though the exhibit hall is nowhere near what it once was several years ago.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I'm spoiled...the last three GenCons, and this one coming up, I get my lodgings for free. So it's just gas and food (sometimes those are related!). Since I started going a few years ago, I think I've played in one official event (DCC this year will break that trend!). Most of my gaming I get through folks over at Circus Maximus with whom I happened to fall in with a few years back.

So I buy the pass because a) I think it's a good thing to support the convention and b) in the grand scheme I'm getting off cheap compared to a lot of folks. This year I bought four full passes for the family even though I doubt we actually need them (the kids like the dealer hall, but not that much).

However, I can see a future where the lodgings will no longer be so...convenient. I will not be so free with badge purchases. Though I will always likely buy one full one and chalk it up to supporting a convention that brings so many gamers together....

Harley...I hope to see you at the head of the table so the kids can get your autograph :)

And if ya'll need a place to run a game...I've got this Condo I get to use....heh....
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Jim Skach wrote:Since I started going a few years ago, I think I've played in one official event (DCC this year will break that trend!). Most of my gaming I get through folks over at Circus Maximus with whom I happened to fall in with a few years back.
Hey - that's some of the guys I am in games with as well this year.
bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bigironvault »

The last two years I went with Press pass so I don't have to pay for my ticket provided that I do my work. This year I'm going with the 4-day pass and not working in order to take in more events etc. True Dungeon is always a draw for me and my friends, there's a couple of other events I'm looking forward to but mostly it's to see friends I only see once a year from around the world including the Troll Lords. (They actually quoted me on their website for the top twenty reasons to play C&C when it first came out.)

The gimmick this year for me is that I'm going in my Stormtrooper gear this time around and meeting up with the 501st there as well to hit Scotty's and the Ram (hopefully).
mmaranda
Gongfarmer

Post by mmaranda »

There were some DCC adventures scheduled to be run at GenCon but those events sold out really fast. I was hoping the forum might have enough interest that we could arrange some non-official DCC play at GenCon.
Ken Winland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ken Winland »

finarvyn wrote:Joseph has already said that he is not going to GenCon this year. He's on an every-other-year rotation or so, based on family commitments and this is an off-year.
Actually, Goodman Games hasn't been at GenCon in about 4 years. :(

I think that the last DCC tourney was 2008 or 2009.

Cheers,

Ken
Ken Winland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ken Winland »

IronWolf wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I enjoy GenCon but my biggest gripe is that you have to buy a full ticket to go shopping.

Origins here in Columbus, OH has a nice family bracelet deal that lets me get the rest of the family in for $15 total. We can hit the exhibit hall and such with that instead of needing full day badges for people that are just coming to tour the exhibit hall. I really like that option for them. Though the exhibit hall is nowhere near what it once was several years ago.
Howdy,

The exhibit hall was one of the reasons that I stopped going to Origins.

If you do not want to do a do a day pass just to get to the Gen Con exhibit hall, check the GC website. For several years, they designated Sunday as "Family Day", and the ENTIRE family gets a con pass for $20.00. This pass doesn't allow you to buy event tickets, but you can do everything else there.

Cheers,

Ken
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ken Winland wrote:If you do not want to do a do a day pass just to get to the Gen Con exhibit hall, check the GC website. For several years, they designated Sunday as "Family Day", and the ENTIRE family gets a con pass for $20.00. This pass doesn't allow you to buy event tickets, but you can do everything else there.
If I read the GenCon pages correctly, "Family Day" is Sunday again this year and costs $30. Except that when I read through the pages I see lists of things to do, but the exhibit hall isn't specifically listed as one of them.

I'm also an educator and hoped that would be a discount, but all they list are specific seminars related to gaming and libraries and stuff like that.

Thanks for the reminder, but I just can't tell from their pages if I could access the places I want or not. :?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ken Winland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ken Winland »

finarvyn wrote:
Ken Winland wrote:If you do not want to do a do a day pass just to get to the Gen Con exhibit hall, check the GC website. For several years, they designated Sunday as "Family Day", and the ENTIRE family gets a con pass for $20.00. This pass doesn't allow you to buy event tickets, but you can do everything else there.
If I read the GenCon pages correctly, "Family Day" is Sunday again this year and costs $30. Except that when I read through the pages I see lists of things to do, but the exhibit hall isn't specifically listed as one of them.

I'm also an educator and hoped that would be a discount, but all they list are specific seminars related to gaming and libraries and stuff like that.

Thanks for the reminder, but I just can't tell from their pages if I could access the places I want or not. :?
Howdy,

Email them for specifics.

I usually work in the dealer's room, and in the past, the Family Pass allowed access to the Exhibitors Hall. We *love* the idea, as it turned anemic Sundays into a robust selling day! The first time I had heard of it (2008 or 2009), it was $20.00 - I guess inflation hit this pass, too! :(

Cheers,

Ken
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

I will be at Gen Con in the art show. Starting on Thurs you can look in the art show for me. When Harley isn't running games he should be with me in the art show or standing in for me while I get coffee and/or the worst food you can possibly eat. I should, if I'm not exhausted from talking all day be able to either run a game or play. I already know I 'm running a game on Wed. night after I set up. Contact me if you want in: dk@dougkovacs.com. Otherwise I can probably run anything Harley is running, make something up on the spot, or run anything DCC I've illustrated which is everything out. Again email me, or stop by the art show. Texts and calls are a little random at Cons, but you can try. Anyone who goes to the effort of going to Gen Con should be able to get a DCC RPG game in.

DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
dougkovacs.com
773-841-9366
The Drain Chamber (Blog): dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ken Winland wrote:Email them for specifics.

I usually work in the dealer's room, and in the past, the Family Pass allowed access to the Exhibitors Hall. We *love* the idea, as it turned anemic Sundays into a robust selling day! The first time I had heard of it (2008 or 2009), it was $20.00 - I guess inflation hit this pass, too! :(
Ken -- thanks again for the suggestion. I sent an e-mail and got confirmation that the pass does cover the Exhibitors Hall. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Looks like my Wed. night game is already full.
I'm writing something new that will be good for a one shot. It involves the red wizard on the spine of the book......

You can still contact me about gaming on other evenings at Gen Con.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/

Return to “DCC RPG General”