The Kickstarter madness has me thinking about dice

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Re: The Kickstarter madness has me thinking about dice

Post by Colin »

Outsiders68 wrote:I have found a company that makes them but there expensive?
:?: Are you asking us or telling us? If the latter, can you share any details please?

Colin
Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Outsiders68 »

Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Sent an enquiry, see what comes back.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Atlatl Jones
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Atlatl Jones »

Colin wrote:I'd go for it. It'd need:

d3 (ideally d6 numbered 1-3 twice)*
d5 (ideally d10 numbered 1-10 twice)*
d7 (ideally d14 numbered 1-7 twice)*
d14
d16
d24
d30

* Using the standard dice shapes for these could potentially be cheaper and would certainly be more random in use.
Koplow Games makes they kinds of dice already. Troll and Toad sells them as singles. To make them available, the easiest way would be to buy them in bulk from Koplow (who only sells wholesale anyway) and package them specifically for DCC.
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

But they are not all the same design, I think. The Koplow d14/7 I have seen is an ugly as sin white with multi-coloured numbers monstrosity that is over sized. I know we can get them in bits in pieces but I want them as a nice set.

Or are you saying we can get a nice standard sized with matching colours set from koplow made up of individual dice? Their website is awful and hard to navigate.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Colin

Post by Colin »

Outsiders68 wrote:http://www.thediceshoponline.com/enquiry.asp check these guys out.
They're very, very expensive. £5 ($7.75) for a single d7 (not inclusive of the extra £1.29 postage and packing, which brings the total cost for one die to £6.29 or $9.74)... You're better off ordering them over from the US to be honest (but not via Gamestation as their P&P charges are truly extortionate). I did a lot of running around trying to get various Gamescience dice together, both here in the UK and from the US, and P&P charges are incredibly variable. Some of the US-based Ebay sellers are actually a much cheaper bet, but even then you're still piecing together a set because GS don't do d30s.

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Machpants wrote:But they are not all the same design, I think. The Koplow d14/7 I have seen is an ugly as sin white with multi-coloured numbers monstrosity that is over sized. I know we can get them in bits in pieces but I want them as a nice set.

Or are you saying we can get a nice standard sized with matching colours set from koplow made up of individual dice? Their website is awful and hard to navigate.
I'm curious about this too because navigating their site is a nightmare.

This thread isn't just about getting some dice; it's about getting a decent matching set of all the necessary dice hopefully at a reasonable cost.

Colin
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Colin wrote: I'm curious about this too because navigating their site is a nightmare.

This thread isn't just about getting some dice; it's about getting a decent matching set of all the necessary dice hopefully at a reasonable cost.
I ended up piecing together a set from Troll and Toad of the Koplow dice. I couldn't get a matched set though. Doesn't really bother me at the moment as I just want the dice at the moment. If someone came out with a matched set for DCC though I am sure I would order a matching set. One, matching is nice, Two, I can use more of the unique dice to make playing with other friends easier.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I think that the best bet for true estimates of what it will take to get matching dice in all the appropriate varieties would be to get on the phone with some different companies - dice company websites are almost universally horrid to navigate, I have no idea why but that is simply the case - getting them on the phone, however, is a quick way to have the cut & dry version of what they are and are not willing and able to do for you, and the cost of such endeavors... such as any minimums of each "custom" die in an order for them to actually do that order...

It would also tell us if a particular company, say Chessex, can manage some version of the "Zocchi dice" and a d30.
jonchappellnow2
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jonchappellnow2 »

DCCRPG seems to have surpassed everyone's high expectations and I am guessing that it is selling well.

There definitely seems to be an opportunity here for an "official DCCRPG dice set" that would include all of the dice, be reasonably priced, and have a unified color scheme.

I'm surprised that non of the traditional dice outlets haven't started packaging such a creation.

Once the word gets out of whomever does, I'd guess they would sell like crazy.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

jonchappellnow2 wrote:DCCRPG seems to have surpassed everyone's high expectations and I am guessing that it is selling well.

There definitely seems to be an opportunity here for an "official DCCRPG dice set" that would include all of the dice, be reasonably priced, and have a unified color scheme.

I'm surprised that non of the traditional dice outlets haven't started packaging such a creation.

Once the word gets out of whomever does, I'd guess they would sell like crazy.
I, for one, would certainly throw more money at Goodman Games for an official set of DCC Dice.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

Black Dougal wrote:I, for one, would certainly throw more money at Goodman Games for an official set of DCC Dice.
ibid.

I tried to find a matching set and gave up in frustration. The various dice manufacturer sites are horrid. Noble Knight wasn't much better.

I just want to order one DCC dice set, preferably in black with gold, as mentioned above.

And I would prefer to throw that money at Goodman Games. They've been outstanding so far, and I'd like to reward that.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

I love DCC but I think its a shame that they made the strange dice so needed and at the same time failed to provide them.

This is the largest detractor of the game. Sure those interested enough can find work around methods but its a uphill battle to convince others who do not love the game yet to play without them or use a work around system.

A DCC Dice set is a must.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

It seriously only takes 3 dice to play DCC - a d12, a d10, and a d8.

...and to present an alternative to finding out how much it is to get a set of dice of all the various different shapes used by DCC, someone might find out how much it would cost to get a company (Chessex, Crystal Caste, Koplow, etc.) to make matching dice with custom numbering to help.

Explaining the above "only 3 dice to play" system:
d3 = d12 divided by 4
d4 = d12 divided by 3
d5 = d10 divided by 2
d6 = d12 divided by 2
d7 = d8 re-rolled on 8
d14 = d8 re-rolled on 8 rolled with any other die, a high result meaning add 7, a low result meaning use as is.
d16 = d8 rolled with any other die, high/low determining +8 or not.
d20 = d10 rolled with a high/low die for +10 or not - they way it was done back in the day*
d24 = d12 +high/low +12 die
d30 = d10 +roll d12 and divide by three for +0 (1), +10 (2), +20 (3)

*20 sided dice even were numbered 0-9 twice, not 1-20, and can even be found with 0-9 and +0-+9

If someone doesn't mind using some adding while rolling, perhaps custom dice could be made that use standard shapes to help emulate the more expensive "weird" dice.

I guess it depends on the cost of a six sided die with it's faces labeled as 1, 2 +10, 3 +20 twice vs. the cost of a d30.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

In case you have never used this. Take it from me Players get pissy when rolling a D8 and they roll a 8 and are told to reroll because its 1d7.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Devil Swine wrote:In case you have never used this. Take it from me Players get pissy when rolling a D8 and they roll a 8 and are told to reroll because its 1d7.
Tell them to buy a d7 then.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:I already filed the papers for that on Friday. Plus, Z, E, purple, 27, aardvarks, and breathing in.

Financial empire, here I come!
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Devil Swine wrote:In case you have never used this. Take it from me Players get pissy when rolling a D8 and they roll a 8 and are told to reroll because its 1d7.
It has been my experience that players who would get pissy rolling an 8 on a d8 and having to re-roll because they are looking for a number from 1 to 7 will actually get pissy no matter what type of die they roll.

That type of player, I have one in my group. Here are some quotes from him regarding dice rolls that I can recall:

"Oh good, another 5! I may as well just stop trying because I can't roll anything higher than 5 tonight." - he says this frequently, usually by about the third roll of the night, but sometimes following a string of amazing rolls hours long throughout the session that eventually leads to rolling a 5 or less three times in a row.

(always precluded by a heavy sigh) "Of course I get a 20 now that it doesn't matter." - said when rolling initiative or on a skill check he expects to have a DC less than 20... always ignoring that a high roll is good no matter what and lamenting that his last attack wasn't a critical.

and last but not least - picking up the die just after it stops rolling and throwing it across the room before slumping back in his chair with a defeated look on his face.

...the last isn't so much a quote as it is what the player will do if the same die rolls four low results in a row during a scenario in which his character is built to excel (i.e. his dwarf with a luck bonus to mounted rolls missing a charge attack, his wizard attempting a spell that seems useful, and the like).

Also, I would like to note that the player in question rolls no better nor any poorer than the rest of us at the table... he is just the sort of player that can only recall two kinds of rolls - those that failed, and those that were critical hits.

No need to really pay attention to such behavior, and especially not worth giving so much attention to as to get the player fancy dice - I tried that, I bought my player precision dice so he could be sure it wasn't the dice, the only thing that changed was that he is now throwing childish tantrums with expensive dice.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I would dearly love to be able to get these dice.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

TheNobleDrake wrote:That type of player, I have one in my group. Here are some quotes from him regarding dice rolls that I can recall
Time you stopped playing with 12 year old mental aged players?
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Stainless wrote:
TheNobleDrake wrote:That type of player, I have one in my group. Here are some quotes from him regarding dice rolls that I can recall
Time you stopped playing with 12 year old mental aged players?
It is difficult, for me, to tell someone to "grow up" while I am sitting across from them explaining how they must retrieve a mystical flower that only grows from the ice found in the fountain within the courtyard of Brambleheart Keep, home of the King of the winter court fae if they wish to have a chance at breaking the curse laid upon their homeland by the evil sorcerer-lich...

Besides that - I, as a former 12 year old, take offense at your insinuation that I ever threw my dice because they rolled low.

Now, for my serious reply to your post: pessimism is very difficult for one to avoid when showing nearly every sign of chronic depression yet insist that it is simply a combination of being lazy (which you don't see as a problem so long as your responsibilities get taken care of) and tired (which you always are even though you sleep 10+ hours each night and also frequently nap for no reason beyond boredom).

I do everything I can, short of giving him special treatment, to minimize the time he spends focusing on the bad die rolls and maximize the time he spends having fun playing the game - he is my friend, and gaming is the only time I ever see him happy.

Before it is asked, yes; I absolutely have told him my concerns regarding depression (a condition I am familiar with by way of my mother) and done everything that I am in the power to do regarding the matter... you really can't help someone with a problem they won't admit they have.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

TheNobleDrake wrote:I do everything I can, short of giving him special treatment, to minimize the time he spends focusing on the bad die rolls and maximize the time he spends having fun playing the game
That might actually reinforce the undesired behaviour.

I would try:

"I am sorry you are not having fun, but that type of behaviour makes the game a lot less fun for everyone else. Accepting the rolls you get with good grace is part of being a good player, and no longer an optional social convention at this table."

Good luck with it!

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Raven_Crowking wrote:That might actually reinforce the undesired behaviour.

I would try:

"I am sorry you are not having fun, but that type of behaviour makes the game a lot less fun for everyone else. Accepting the rolls you get with good grace is part of being a good player, and no longer an optional social convention at this table."

Good luck with it!

RC
Thanks for the wishes of luck, but yeah... I don't give him special treatment at all though, he gets told to relax just like everyone else at the table does when they have moments of being a complete bummer - which is to say with tone and severity matching the level to which they are impinging upon others ability to enjoy the game.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

I appreciate that there are those who don't mind rolling dice and doing math or re-rolls or other work arounds. And I did get a set of game science dice so I could have a complete set, but I am convinced the d5 does not roll fairly on the vinyl chessex mat surface that will always be on our table when we play.

In any case, I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who want a DCC specific dice set. I don't care the geometry as long as the dice are opaque, attractive, not sharp and are usable out of the container.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:I already filed the papers for that on Friday. Plus, Z, E, purple, 27, aardvarks, and breathing in.

Financial empire, here I come!
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
*kicks obviously overlooked Achilles Heel that will lead to ironic end-of-life comeuppance under the carpet*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”