Adventures with Purple Duck Games

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Adventures with Purple Duck Games

Post by Raven_Crowking »

My first for-publication adventure for the system, Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror, is currently with the editor at Purple Duck Games. I have to say that I am really excited about this, and I hope that you will enjoy playing through it as much as I enjoyed writing it. There is at least one truly nasty encounter in the adventure that, with luck, your players will not soon forget!

I am now working on a second adventure, Through the Cotillion of Hours, for characters of any level. If anything, I am even more excited about this adventure than I am about Bone Hoard!

It takes a while to go from writer to editor through approval to release, but if you are interested in these adventures, please let the good folks at Purple Duck Games know!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: Adventures with Purple Duck Games

Post by Rick »

Cool! Looking forward to dying horribly in it :P
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

What? No pictures of cover art? All the "cool" 3PP's tease us with cover art. :P

Love the title, though ... "Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror" send shivers down my spine!

Dunno what a "Cotillion" is, so less shivery. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

They are inspired by different Appendix N authors.

You can have worse happen than death in Bone Hoard.

A Cotillion is a dance, such as a formal ball. The Cotillion of Hours is one answer to "Quest For It", and I think it will be memorable.

Unfortunately, as I am not the publisher, I don't have any neat cover art to show you yet. I had to email Mark Gedak at Purple Duck Games to make sure I wasn't jumping the gun on bringing these up here.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

We are a little early for cover art yet. I'm hoping to collect the adventures in two or three packs and bundle them together as a single release. Traditionally, I have a fairly minimalist cover in purple (like this: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/102546/Pu ... rven-Delve), although I'm sure I will be varying the colour scheme to indicate that this is a DCC compatible release and not a Pathfinder compatible release.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I expect these adventures will be excellent (judging them on title alone).

also some advice that might be more relevant than even I might think... never trust a duck in a dungeon.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Great news, RC, and yep, great titles too. :)

Colin
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by toadlike »

Raven_Crowking wrote:My first for-publication adventure for the system, Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror, is currently with the editor at Purple Duck Games. I have to say that I am really excited about this, and I hope that you will enjoy playing through it as much as I enjoyed writing it. There is at least one truly nasty encounter in the adventure that, with luck, your players will not soon forget!
I can't wait to find out what horrors you've unleashed into the world Raven! :D
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

toadlike wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:My first for-publication adventure for the system, Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror, is currently with the editor at Purple Duck Games. I have to say that I am really excited about this, and I hope that you will enjoy playing through it as much as I enjoyed writing it. There is at least one truly nasty encounter in the adventure that, with luck, your players will not soon forget!
I can't wait to find out what horrors you've unleashed into the world Raven! :D
Please leave my children out of this!

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

Perhaps something like this for the first release.

Though I need to find another bony font as that one will not embed in the document and I need to remember to credit the author on the cover.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I dunno, using a bone-related font may be a step too far cheese-wise. You're probably better off choosing a retro-style font that you will apply across all of your DCC-related modules as a style of trade dress, especially if you're using goldenrod-style colours. That will give the products at least some of the visual impact and retro feel of DCC itself, and give them a uniform element that ties the line together. Something along the lines of Hobo would look cool.

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Colin wrote:I dunno, using a bone-related font may be a step too far cheese-wise. You're probably better off choosing a retro-style font that you will apply across all of your DCC-related modules...
I agree with Colin on this. DCC is supposed to be fun but dark, and seems like the bone-font isn't quite what you're looking for. Something solid and strong would probably work better.

Just my two coppers, though. It's your product.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

My two coppers, hoping that a little consumer/amateur lay-out guy feedback doesn't get agitating:

That DCC compatible notice is an eyesore... it "scars" the simple elegance of the cover.

Right on the Goodman Games website there is a simple, black on transparency Compatible with DCC RPG logo, I suggest using something similar... though I am not sure if we are allowed to simply grab that very logo or not, or if there is a higher resolution version of it somewhere...

I may actually just pop into my office at some point, if it isn't frowned upon, and make a higher resolution copy of such thing since I think I have the right fonts for it.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Very quick mock-up revision. Not happy with the layout myself, but its main purpose is to showcase the impact of a different font. Given a few minutes later I'd come up with something better.

Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

I hadn't received the compatibility logo yet from Joseph but it arrived in my email over night. I like what you have done there, which font was it again?
Colin

Post by Colin »

That font is Hobo, but there are other similar retro fonts around.
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

Hobo font, different graphic (as it just arrived) and different layout.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Much better. I'd lift the PDG Presents and title, and enlarge the latter as it's currently struggling a little to compete with the image.

Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I think this is going to look quite good when done.
SoBH pbp:

Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

First set of playtest notes are in. I'm just waiting on the second two sets and then we can move to finalizing this release.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Not sure about the title. I keep reading Bone Hard of the Dancing Horror. :oops:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Colin wrote:Much better. I'd lift the PDG Presents and title, and enlarge the latter as it's currently struggling a little to compete with the image.
I just wanted to point out that I'm seeing something here that shows what an awesome board this is -- I'm seeing folks offering suggestions and ideas and trying to help each other out to make the best products possible. This kind of attitude catches fire and helps to keep a close, happy community of gamers.

Well done!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks, Marv. Love you too. ;)

Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

finarvyn wrote:
Colin wrote:Much better. I'd lift the PDG Presents and title, and enlarge the latter as it's currently struggling a little to compete with the image.
I just wanted to point out that I'm seeing something here that shows what an awesome board this is -- I'm seeing folks offering suggestions and ideas and trying to help each other out to make the best products possible. This kind of attitude catches fire and helps to keep a close, happy community of gamers.

Well done!
Agreed, and believe me, I appreciate it.

I also appreciate the process of submission to Joseph Goodman. Even though it takes a little longer to get approval, everyone knows that the final product doesn't suck!

RC
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Finarvyn,

I just had a chance to read your playtest report, and I am very glad that you had fun with it!

Daniel
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”