Thieves and Reading Scrolls

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Thieves and Reading Scrolls

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Thought someone should point out an argument between the text and the table in regards to the thief skill to read scrolls.

The text specifically says (in italicized text, no less) not to add Intelligence or Personality modifiers to the roll for reading a scroll.
The table has a cross marker next to read scroll, indicating that Intelligence applies.

It'd be nice to have some official stance on the matter, though I am personally going to use the old standby (text trumps table every time) for the time being.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Thieves and Reading Scrolls

Post by goodmangames »

Dang, we missed a typo! The editorial crew will be flogged for their failure. Drake, you can have the first lash.

Thieves do apply Intelligence modifiers when reading scrolls.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Eeyow! I remember thinking about that, but I guess I never mentioned it. I figured thieves needed to rely on the class bonus alone to succeed.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

So, are characters that read magic scrolls designed to fail, except for high level rogues? If that is the case, then I am fine with that, but it seems bizarre to indicate a die that will almost certainly fail the spell check result. Do non-wizard classes add their level to spell checks with scrolls, or is it just a straight up d8?
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

Nevermnd, I found the passage where my question is answered.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Can Warriors cast scrolls successfully? A d10 with no modifiers means they can never succeed at casting a scroll or am I misinterpreting the rules?
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Crimsontree wrote:Can Warriors cast scrolls successfully? A d10 with no modifiers means they can never succeed at casting a scroll or am I misinterpreting the rules?
I believe it mentions somewhere that scrolls might have their own modifier... or at the very least, scrolls can be written such that when read they are cast at a specific result, which gives at least the one time that Warriors can pull off a spell from a scroll.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Characters can also burn Luck to achieve things that might otherwise seem impossible.

Colin
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Colin wrote:Characters can also burn Luck to achieve things that might otherwise seem impossible.

Colin
Very true... but don't burn too much. I mean, is that spell going off right now really worth the greater risk the next time you hit the ground bleeding will be the first time you don't get back up?

(No, really, it is worth it - burn your Luck or else you will feel very, very silly when that "recover the body" check you were hoarding it all for comes up a nat 20 and you are dead and gone because you tried to "play it safe" - that's right, my players, I'm talking to you :twisted: )
Valerian J Vortex
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Valerian J Vortex »

goodmangames wrote:Dang, we missed a typo! The editorial crew will be flogged for their failure. Drake, you can have the first lash.

Do they have to apply penalties for wearing bulky/iron armour, as do wizards (and presumably elves), but not clerics?

Cheers,
KenB
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Valerian J Vortex wrote:
goodmangames wrote:Dang, we missed a typo! The editorial crew will be flogged for their failure. Drake, you can have the first lash.

Do they have to apply penalties for wearing bulky/iron armour, as do wizards (and presumably elves), but not clerics?

Cheers,
KenB
I would rule on the basis of the scroll type.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Raven_Crowking wrote: I would rule on the basis of the scroll type.
I am with Raven on that.

I would add, however, that if the scroll is one of the type that are automatically cast at a specified level (10% according to the table on page 373) it does not have any modification (good or bad) from the character reading it... you know, since there is no roll in the first place.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote: I would rule on the basis of the scroll type.
I am with Raven on that.

I would add, however, that if the scroll is one of the type that are automatically cast at a specified level (10% according to the table on page 373) it does not have any modification (good or bad) from the character reading it... you know, since there is no roll in the first place.
Agreed. And I would keep in mind that a wizard reading such a scroll in full plate would be at no disadvantage! :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”