(BHP) Appendix N Adventure Toolkits KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

(BHP) Appendix N Adventure Toolkits KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/177 ... pg-modules

Please note that at a number of pledge levels, I have set up two lines of rewards - one designed for for Gamers and another for Collectors!

Each Appendix N Adventure provides Game Masters with a challenging adventure that can easily be dropped into an existing campaign, as well as an inspirational module map and a set of illustrated player handouts. Each also contains new monsters, unique enemies, creative traps and bizarre settings to challenge players, and inspirational ideas for expanding the campaign and launch points into further adventures for the Game Master.

Physically, Appendix N Adventures are designed for a lifetime of use. These digest-sized (5.5" x 8.5") products feature detached covers (with maps on the back) created using traditional off-set printing, very heavy card stock and aqueous coating. The black-and-white interiors are printed on extremely thick and durable paper (32 lb) that does not allow any bleed-though. The player handouts are printed on 100 lb card stock. All Appendix N Adventures come completely sealed in thick shrink-wrap and ship in non-bendable, chipboard mailers.
John Adams
Colin

Re: (BHP) Appendix N Adventure Toolkits KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

Post by Colin »

Pledged my $31, the second backer for the project. :)

30 days is insanely short though; most are 50-60 days. You're giving yourself precious little time to meet any stretch goals. Tales From the Fallen Empire is 50 days, f'rinstance. Barrowmaze II was the same. ACKS and its Companion, and Astonishing Swords & Sorcerers were all longer too.

Colin
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Pledged :D first Kickstarter to ever hook me. Excited by this.

Your adventures have always been really good. No brainer!
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

You have my support. Good luck!
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Looks great -- just signed up!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Looks great. Signed up.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

RAD Colin wrote:30 days is insanely short though; most are 50-60 days. You're giving yourself precious little time to meet any stretch goals. Tales From the Fallen Empire is 50 days, f'rinstance. Barrowmaze II was the same. ACKS and its Companion, and Astonishing Swords & Sorcerers were all longer too.
I actually think it is a good move. A majority of funding tends to happen at the beginning and the end, so the extra 15-30 days of "middle time" can just serve to sap momentum from the project.

And as I post this the project already has 26 backers and is clearly going to make its goal. Congratulations!
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

Agreed. I think if the goal is to raise $1000 then at this rate 30 days seems like more than enough time. Presumably there will be ways to buy these adventures that don't involve Kickstarter. I'm guessing the goal here is bootstrap a print run, not use Kickstarter like an online store.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have yet to see any OSR Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign be sapped of momentum by virtue of having 15 days more time, and I fail to see how having less time to hopefully meet stretch goals is a good thing. All of the projects I mentioned succeeded very well indeed, and even met many stretch goals due to having that extra time. Dwimmermount, ACKS, the ACKS Companion, ad nauseum, all did well because they had extra time and even met stretch goals during said extra time. If you're going to convince me that having less time is a good thing and that all of those projects would have done so much better if they'd only had a couple weeks less for folks to pledge in, I'd need to see some evidence please. Give me some solid examples so I can lay my pessimistic side to rest.

I'm not doubting there's time to meet the initial goal, but my worry is that many of the stretch goals could end up rendered pointless or hopeless due to there being a lack of time in which to meet them. I'd be absolutely, deliriously delighted to be wrong, and unlike many folks I'll happily admit to being wrong and devour that humble pie with aplomb, but my worry is what it is.

Colin
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

RevTurkey wrote:Pledged :D first Kickstarter to ever hook me. Excited by this.

Your adventures have always been really good. No brainer!
My first kickstarter pledge as well. I have never played one of your adventures before but BHP gets such respect on this site that I figured I would give you a try.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

RAD Colin wrote:I have yet to see any OSR Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign be sapped of momentum by virtue of having 15 days more time, and I fail to see how having less time to hopefully meet stretch goals is a good thing. All of the projects I mentioned succeeded very well indeed, and even met many stretch goals due to having that extra time. Dwimmermount, ACKS, the ACKS Companion, ad nauseum, all did well because they had extra time and even met stretch goals during said extra time. If you're going to convince me that having less time is a good thing and that all of those projects would have done so much better if they'd only had a couple weeks less for folks to pledge in, I'd need to see some evidence please. Give me some solid examples so I can lay my pessimistic side to rest.
This assumes that the amount of revenue raised is primarily a function of time. The evidence is that you need a certain amount of time to raise awareness and direct folks to your project, but donations also relate highly to a sense of how much was donated the day before. If your core audience would raise $5,000, it looks more impressive to do that over 30 days than 45.

I haven't found the data on 45 versus 30 days, other than that the KS folks suggest 30 days. But it is clear that more isn't necessarily better. In fact, there used to be an option for even more time to raise money and they axed it because the evidence was that it actually may have been hurting projects. http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/shorten ... ect-length

In any case, we both want the same thing, which is to see these DCC 3rd Party projects be as successful as possible. That means, with 30 days to promote it, anyone who is really excited about these stretch goals should get out on their personal networks and promote, promote, promote!
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

Speaking of "stretch" or bonus goals as they are called in this campaign. I can't find the indication of what $ amount you intend them to be. Is that deliberate mystery? As things close in on $1,000 it is probably appropriate to name the first one at least.
Colin

Post by Colin »

meinvt wrote:Speaking of "stretch" or bonus goals as they are called in this campaign. I can't find the indication of what $ amount you intend them to be. Is that deliberate mystery? As things close in on $1,000 it is probably appropriate to name the first one at least.
The Bonus Goals (in terms of monetary targets) are shown on the campaign page's main image:

#1: $2500
#2: $4000
#3: $6000
#4: $10,000

Colin
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

RAD Colin wrote: The Bonus Goals (in terms of monetary targets) are shown on the campaign page's main image:

#1: $2500
#2: $4000
#3: $6000
#4: $10,000
Well, now I look smart! I had thought I'd seen them before, but when I scrolled to the bonus goal rewards and didn't find them there I did a ctrl-f search on the page and didn't find them that way either... In any case, you can't get much more front and center than the main image I suppose.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Spread the word... We want those stretch goals :D

As to KS duration... I agree that 30 days seems a bit short but on the plus side, if we meet the targets then we get all this awesome stuff sooner!

38 backers.... $913 and rising...

EDIT: Now $924 ... i just upped my pledge :D
Playing since about 1980
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

Seriously contemplating increasing mine as well...would love to do specifics on a place for one of his modules
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Yeah, that is what swayed me. i would like the chance to name an npc :D
Playing since about 1980
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Project funded!

... and only 29 days to go. :twisted:

Nice work, Brave Halfling.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

Hopefully, that means BHP will hit all the stretch goals (up to $10,000) and we'll get all kinds of freebies :D
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Thanks guys!!!
John Adams
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

More like thanks to you John :D
Playing since about 1980
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I try to keep my blog posting schedule on a consistent M-W-F. It will go up tomorrow, and I'll definitely blast it through all of my social networks.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Vanguard wrote:I try to keep my blog posting schedule on a consistent M-W-F. It will go up tomorrow, and I'll definitely blast it through all of my social networks.
Cool!
John Adams
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Woot I'm in (Edit: and I get to design a monster/NPC/Location! 8) ), and man Kickstarter is killng my wallet... so much goodness there!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

Just pledged my coins good sir!
Rev. James Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Sole Proprietor - Chapter 13 Press
http://www.Hexgeneration.com Post Punk and OSR Gaming from the Generation X point of view.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”