Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Theosophy and Appendix N
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I'm wondering if any of you have noticed connections between the many tropes of Appendix N pseudo-history and the teachings of Theosophy. You can, in my opinion, clearly see such analogues in Howard's Hyperborea: the fall of Atlantis, various relict races, etc. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed and explored these.

Post subject: Re: Theosophy and Appendix N
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

mattstaggs wrote:
I'm wondering if any of you have noticed connections between the many tropes of Appendix N pseudo-history and the teachings of Theosophy.

I always thought Michael Moorcock's fantasy showed the Anthroposophical influence of his Steiner/Waldorf education.

--Tonik

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:08 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I must not have been paying attention in English Lit class somewhere along the line. The words mostly look familiar but I have no idea what any of it means. :oops:

Tropes are styles or patterns or stereotypes, I think. What is "Theosophy"?

My best guess is that you're wondering if many Appendix N stories use a history similar but not exactly the same as ours?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Howard's Conan word was "Hyboria", not Hyperborea. (As in "The Hyborian Age.") There was a nation of Hyperborea somewhere in the NE section of the map but the world was Hyboria, unless my brain has totally cramped up on me.

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:12 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

mattstaggs wrote:
I'm wondering if any of you have noticed connections between the many tropes of Appendix N pseudo-history and the teachings of Theosophy. You can, in my opinion, clearly see such analogues in Howard's Hyperborea: the fall of Atlantis, various relict races, etc. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed and explored these.

Good call Mattstaggs!

The first time I came across the word theosophy was in a Clark Ashton Smith letter. I never really thought much about it, but now that you mention it, it might be worth taking a cursory look at it for inspirational purposes.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:14 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

mattstaggs wrote:
I'm wondering if any of you have noticed connections between the many tropes of Appendix N pseudo-history and the teachings of Theosophy.

Definitely. Chaosium even published a volume of Blavatsky as part of its Call of Cthulhu Fiction series: