Spoilers:Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Spoilers:Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

Post by ragboy »

What's the word on this one? My group is playing a homebrew campaign with one set of characters and a "published adventure" campaign with another set... need to keep feeding the beast!
Last edited by ragboy on Sun May 27, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Mintaro
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea...when?

Post by Mintaro »

Its already been printed up, and the pre-orders were shipped sometime last week I believe. I can't seem to find the official post I had located at one point. Rest assured that not only is it printed, but it is supposed to be on brick and mortar store shelves the same day as the rule book.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

In stores this week. :)

And People of the Pit will be in stores next week.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I snagged my copy yesterday, so it should be in stores near you soon.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Vanguard wrote:I snagged my copy yesterday, so it should be in stores near you soon.
A pre-order or a store?
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Blustar wrote:
Vanguard wrote:I snagged my copy yesterday, so it should be in stores near you soon.
A pre-order or a store?
Brick and Mortar and not a pre-order. I live in NYC, if that matters. Pictures here:

http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/2 ... -here.html
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

The PDF is available on DriveThruRPG it seems...
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

I sent an email to the contact address on the web site as I ordered it back in March when I pre-ordered the book itself. I wasn't (and still not) sure if it was supposed to come with the manual or if it was being shipped separately.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Just read the background for this. Awesome! Evocative!!

Cant wait!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

GreyM wrote:I sent an email to the contact address on the web site as I ordered it back in March when I pre-ordered the book itself. I wasn't (and still not) sure if it was supposed to come with the manual or if it was being shipped separately.
If you were one of the early pre-orders (which you were), the core book shipped before the module was even printed. So you will get the core book early (hopefully already did) and then the module will arrive separately for you. Customers who ordered at a later date may receive them both together.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Purchased on rpgnow. Awesome again Harley Stroh!
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

goodmangames wrote:
If you were one of the early pre-orders (which you were), the core book shipped before the module was even printed. So you will get the core book early (hopefully already did) and then the module will arrive separately for you. Customers who ordered at a later date may receive them both together.
I have indeed received my copy of the limited edition core book ( and very happy I might add with the content....the damage from shipping...not so much ). I saw someone post a picture on another thread on here with the two core books and a copy of this module so I wasn't sure if it was supposed to come in the same box or not. Thanks for the quick response.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

Post by ragboy »

Just picked up the PDF... looks fun!

....and 1629 local time -- just read the whole thing. Very very good. There is so much evil here that I can't wait until Friday. But, I guess I'll have to. Because this is Wednesday.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

I wrote a mini-review based just on reading the module:

http://swordsofminaria.blogspot.ca/2012 ... first.html

Not to worry, it is basically spoiler free (which I realized is very difficult to do when writing a review!).
James Maliszewski
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by James Maliszewski »

I just finished my first-ever session of DCC RPG -- as a player, no less! -- and our Judge was using Sailors of the Starless Sea. We only managed to explore a portion of the keep, but we had a lot of fun doing so. Our battle with the beastmen in the tower was particularly memorable: we lost a party member to the battle axe of a bull-headed monstrosity and we exacted vengeance on the creature and his cohorts with flasks of oil and torches. I can't wait to get farther into the adventure next week when we get together again.

Thumbs up.
James Maliszewski,
Grognardia: Musings and Memories from a Lifetime of Gaming
Thousand Suns: Imperial Science Fiction Roleplaying
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

:twisted: Welcome, James! I'm glad the session was a good one. I can't wait to read how the rest of the adventure unfolds. (BTW, I really enjoyed your blog post on dice.)

Evan, great review. Thank you for the kind words!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

I did a preorder for the adventure and still haven't gotten it.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

DimitriX wrote:I did a preorder for the adventure and still haven't gotten it.
Hmmm ... let's resolve that.

I'll check in with Keith and Joseph.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
James Maliszewski
Ill-Fated Peasant

Harley Stroh wrote::twisted: Welcome, James! I'm glad the session was a good one. I can't wait to read how the rest of the adventure unfolds.
As I keep saying to anyone who will listen, DCC RPG has made me more excited to play it than any new fantasy roleplaying game in, literally, years. That's about as powerful an endorsement as I can give it.
James Maliszewski,
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

James Maliszewski wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote::twisted: Welcome, James! I'm glad the session was a good one. I can't wait to read how the rest of the adventure unfolds.
As I keep saying to anyone who will listen, DCC RPG has made me more excited to play it than any new fantasy roleplaying game in, literally, years. That's about as powerful an endorsement as I can give it.
I have the same feeling! :D

And I was working very hard on a system that I thought would be perfectly suited to what I wanted.....!

I am in awe of Joseph Goodman's reminder and ringing endorsement of what was great about gaming back in the day, and his flavourful masterpiece for bringing excitement back to the table.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
James Maliszewski
Ill-Fated Peasant

For me, what's most impressive is that I was initially quite skeptical of DCC RPG, both in terms of its focus and its actual implementation. But the more I read and thought about it -- and now played it -- the more I think Joseph and the gang managed to scratch an itch I didn't even know I had. I don't think it's a game for all tastes, but that's OK. In fact, I think DCC RPG probably works so well for me precisely because it caters to a very particular approach and esthetic that won't appeal to everyone. It's a lesson from which I think more RPGs (and entertainment generally) could learn.
James Maliszewski,
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

James Maliszewski wrote:For me, what's most impressive is that I was initially quite skeptical of DCC RPG, both in terms of its focus and its actual implementation. But the more I read and thought about it -- and now played it -- the more I think Joseph and the gang managed to scratch an itch I didn't even know I had. I don't think it's a game for all tastes, but that's OK. In fact, I think DCC RPG probably works so well for me precisely because it caters to a very particular approach and esthetic that won't appeal to everyone. It's a lesson from which I think more RPGs (and entertainment generally) could learn.
I agree with this. Mass appeal in a niche hobby is a pretty obvious contradiction.
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Harley Stroh wrote:
DimitriX wrote:I did a preorder for the adventure and still haven't gotten it.
Hmmm ... let's resolve that.

I'll check in with Keith and Joseph.

//H
I also pre-ordered but still nothing. :(

I just emailed Keith so hopefully he'll tell me it's on its way.
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

Blustar wrote: I also pre-ordered but still nothing. :(

I just emailed Keith so hopefully he'll tell me it's on its way.
Same here. Three days ago, Keith said they were slammed by the great response and should have them all mailed out by the end of the week (hopefully that means today). Maybe it will be waiting for me at the Post Office :-)
Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dionysos »

I preordered this and all the other DCC adventures at the same time that I preordered the core rule book many months ago. I got the rulebook a couple weeks ago but still no Sailors. Is it time to wonder if something has gone awry with my order?

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”