What are you playing?

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What are you playing?

Post by goodmangames »

Just curious what sort of d20 stuff people are playing lately, in addition to our stuff. Straight WotC D&D? Variant D&D campaigns? Spycraft? Whose products do you use? And so on.

Me, I'm about to start a new D&D campaign set in a world of medieval fantasy mechs that I made up. It's like BattleTech but in the year 1300, with mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves. Sometime next year it will probably get published...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

That sounds AWESOME!

I'm about to start a one-on-one D&D campaign with my girlfriend set in my WotC setting search world, and I've made characters for the same setting with a good friend from Boston and his girlfriend. I don't know if that campaign is going to happen since I haven't seen or heard from him since the day before I heard about round two. We're cool like that. Generally one of us calls the other unexpectedly and springs a visit on the other.
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

I'm starting a d20 Modern campaign set in a pre-atomic age that never was, with dinosaurs, giant robots, magitech, and a liberal dose of late '40s style and pulp action.

It'll be kind of like Batman: The Series meets Jurassic Park and Final Fantasy.

I really like the way Modern turned out. I also like that they're continuing support with Urban Arcana, and there's that overwhelming support from 3rd party publishers.

As fer your idea...have you ever seen Escaflowne? It's an anime, but it's very similar to what you describe. Can't find a good picture right now, but here's the movie poster (note that the movie and the series are two entirely different storylines and "universes")
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Still on the prowl for good escaflowne shots......
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Escaflowne looks pretty interesting... it also looks like a real anime-style fantasy. The thing I'm working in is more European-style... less wild, crazy, and oversized and more grim, feudalistic, and D&Dish. But I'd like to see more escaflowne... is it on video anywhere?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Yes, it is on video, and DVD.

Actually, the series is pretty European and very gritty. Though Hitomi is Japanese, a lot of the other names, Alan Scherezade, Vaughn Fenel, and so on, as well as the architecture of the world of Gaia, reflects a Europena environment. Lots of conspiracy and political maneuvering common in feudal Europe. It's like watching D&D but with giant clockwork robots instead of plate mail. There's a scene where Vaughn (the male lead) must fight with his guymelef (his giant clockwork robot) in an arena against several other pilots. It's a pretty dirty fight, and very quick.

The mechs are powered by dragon hearts, and the power comes with a price: the user bonds closer with his clockwork machine, and as he does, damage to the guymelef increasingly affects him.
(insert witty phrase)
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mr. Author[/i]
The mechs are powered by dragon hearts, and the power comes with a price: the user bonds closer with his clockwork machine, and as he does, damage to the guymelef increasingly affects him. [/quote]

That right there is pretty cool. What do the dragons think of using thier hearts this way?
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Ah. It's a sort of rie-of-passage for some kingdoms to have their princes slay the dragon and take it's heart. There are some places where the "energysts" (the crystalized remains of dragon hearts) are mined for use in building guymelefs....think of an elephant graveyard on a reptilian scale.
(insert witty phrase)
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Wow. I've gotta check that out.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
BPI_Jonathan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by BPI_Jonathan »

[quote][i]Originally posted by goodmangames[/i]
Escaflowne looks pretty interesting... it also looks like a real anime-style fantasy. The thing I'm working in is more European-style... less wild, crazy, and oversized and more grim, feudalistic, and D&Dish. But I'd like to see more escaflowne... is it on video anywhere? [/quote]

Escaflowne is one of my favorite animes. I fell in love with the series from the first episode I saw of Fox, I couldnt wait and went and bought all the DVDs.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
jthompson@battlefieldpress.com
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Getting back to What are you playing?

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Got two d20 campaigns right now that I'm running. They've actually been on hold for the past few months, but I'm about to get them started back up again. The first a long-running D&D campaign that had its origins in the Warhammer FRPG, was converted to 2nd ed. AD&D, and is now in its newest incarnation as a 3rd ed. D&D game. The game is very much a World of Greyhawk "traditional" sort of game, with some more influences from George R.R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" books. It's good old fashioned sword and sorcery. (As a side note - two of the older and nastier villains from this campaign will be appearing in a forthcoming publication in anupdated 3rd ed. format. You can't keep Dharion Khryll and his deadly bride Elisha dead for long.... ;) )

The second campaign is new - a d20 modern campaign in the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style, with some James Bond influences as well. I've temporarily put my B-Rex campaign on hold to test this new game out. I think it's already been stated on this thread, but I've also been really impressed with d20 Modern - just hope it doesn't go the way of Alternity and just about every other TSR/WotC sci-fi rpg.

And drat all of you for discussing this cool-lookin' Escaflowne series ... guess I'm making a trip to the local comic/anime/game store this weekend!
BPI_Jonathan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by BPI_Jonathan »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mike_Ferguson[/i]
And drat all of you for discussing this cool-lookin' Escaflowne series ... guess I'm making a trip to the local comic/anime/game store this weekend! [/quote]

You are very welcome!! :-D
Jonathan M. Thompson
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

Currently I'm running a 3rd ed D&D DragonLance game, although the Scarred Lands setting is probably my favourite.

As I've said in another post on these boards I'm also looking to combine Broncosaurus Rex and Sidewinder (Wild West D20) to create a [i]Valley of Gwangi[/i] style game.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
Thorbrin
Ill-Fated Peasant

What I am playing.

Post by Thorbrin »

I have been playing a D&D 3rd ED. game set in the Forgotten Realms every monday night for the last 2 years.
We use mostly "official" 3rd ed supplements and rule books but are slowly starting to spread our wings and try out some other company products. Basicly as I purchase the books ,they get introduced to the group. Most of my players have only purchased the core books and a few of the new "handbooks".
I still use a lot of my old 1st ed modules and 2nd ed accessorys as well .
Soon we will be starting a game of Undiscovered,I purchased the rulebook for this game at a convention in Toronto a year ago and want to try it at least once. I am also looking forward to getting the Riddle of Steel RPG.
3rd edition is a great game but I am starting to miss the old days when we use to try different game systems on a regular basis.
BPI_Jonathan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by BPI_Jonathan »

We are taking a break from our Cityscape game and currently Im running a Realms game and a campaign in the Babylon 5 universe using the new B5RPG from Mongoose.

As for what I am working on, Im sending players to a world run by dinosaurs where the gods of the Velociraptors have plans for the world and have brought over the characters from my realms game to be pawns. The gods of the Velociraptors will appear in the Cityscape sourcebook - Eternal Beings - give me a shout if your interested in playtesting it when it comes time for playtesting.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Aeolius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Aeolius »

Since 1998, I have been running an undersea campaign, using the World of Greyhawk as a base. The game began with the 1e AD&D rules, then switched over to 3e D&D.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Aeolius wrote:Since 1998, I have been running an undersea campaign, using the World of Greyhawk as a base. The game began with the 1e AD&D rules, then switched over to 3e D&D.
Since 1998? Wow, that's a long-running campaign! You should definitely check out Monsters of the Boundless Blue. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Aeolius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Aeolius »

goodmangames wrote: Since 1998? Wow, that's a long-running campaign! You should definitely check out Monsters of the Boundless Blue. :)
Already on order, at my FLGS. :D

(and check out the conspicuous link at www.lobi.com/bpaa , my campaign's home page)
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

I'm running a Greyhawk 3.5 game now. The game is set in Geoff, Gran March and Sterich. I'm using the Forge of Fury.

I play a lot of RPGA games too. Living Greyhawk, Living Kalamar and Spycraft.

Mike
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

I'm DMing a D&D v.3.5 campaign set in my homebrew, The World of Jaessar. Very, very generic D&D; Standard D&D all around. We only use the three core rule books. My player's characters just hit level 10.

We play every Wednesday night, 6 PM to 10 PM. Tonight is game night in fact. If all goes as planned tonight, they'll be battling a beholder! :twisted:
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Right now I'm playing in a homebrewed C&C campaign, while working on my own setting( actually I'm just trying to find a nice map where I can place all the modules I want to run.

Now that I heard of DCC world, I want to get my hands on it and see how adaptable it is to my ideas.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Last weekend, we made up characters for Mutants and Masterminds. It'll be nice to step out from behind the screen for a while.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
francisca
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by francisca »

I play every other thursday night in a 3.5 DragonLance campaign. It doesn't follow canon at all, I'm happy to say.

I DM a 1e AD&D game set in Greyhawk every other monday night.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My main gang is gearing up for Gygax's Necropolis. Half the party completed the free lead-in titled Set's Daughters. The other half is about a quarter into The Sorcerer's Citadle from Necromancer's Demons & Devils.

Our three day October Game Fest is almost upon us. The 26th through the 28th will be from 9am to 9pm (roughly) gaming time!

Harley, if only Ragnar1965 & one other shows for part of this, we'll continue with Legacy of the Savage Kings. Of course I've got to get the module back from Jim who took it to GenCon for me. We've still not got together!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

I haven't kept up on Gygax after TSR did its thing. Can anyone recommend a good, recent Gygax work?

He's god emeritus and all, but is the newer work as cool as the old stuff?
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”